Where Does Balance Power Work Best?

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Several years ago, I had some systems that sounded amazing with balanced power. Then I tried a BPT Signature with a First Watt amp and it was absolutely lethargic (I think it had an 80lb Plitron transformer). I wonder if you all would offer some advice when using units of this size, what kind of amps and components work best and what to stay away from.

Has anyone stacked a 2nd power unit on top of a balanced unit, to give certain components more air?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fork, you're going to struggle to get any consistent or outright answer here.

Firstly, many really don't like balanced power, or feel its unnecessary. That's on top of the suspicion of potential physical risk.

Secondly, there are umpteen examples of combinations of gear that for whatever reason do not gel together.

For my part, a cheap Airlink 3kVA balanced replaced a 10x pricier Burmester 948 conditioner, imho no contest.

I then replaced this with my current more audiophile 8kVA Westwick balanced, and it's served me very well.

There hasn't been one piece of gear powered by it that doesn't seem to have benefitted.

Imho if you go balanced, that be definition obviates the need for further conditioning or filtering, but as usual in this hobby, ymmv.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I use Balanced power on all my gear.. I had a 20amp Equitech ET2Q which I used for over 20 years, all with good results. CMR is real and it works! I’ve since downsized and went to a 15 Amp unit. This is one piece of equipment I won’t do without..

Reactions: Re-tread

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I would first start be looking at the power in your home, @fork PM me if your interested to discuss further.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
We are still awaiting the day when non balanced supply outperforms our balanced power supply; 100% hit rate from demo to sale says all we need to know. Power everything balanced for the full effect; as Mikem53 says, CMR works..
Rgds,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing