When bad things happen to good equipment or "who left the cake out in the rain?"

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
As hard as it might be to believe not everyone knows what McIntosh is or how valued it is to many of us. Case in point: MC240 found in a shed.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Would be sad, except I can already picture it when you're done, Luther. :) Are you sticking with the stock metal or are you planning to dress it up in exotic wood?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Would be sad, except I can already picture it when you're done, Luther. :) Are you sticking with the stock metal or are you planning to dress it up in exotic wood?

I was thinking about having both. The orignal in case I want to go back stock and a nice wood base for the top chassis to fit it.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
It looks better with just a good cleaning.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Good thing it wasn't rained on. How long do you think it was in the shed? 30 years?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I have an old SS receiver I've been meaning to clean up. No where near as bad though.

What method and products do you use to clean something like this up?

Nice work, as always.
You can see it in the picture upper left hand corner; Techspray Flux Remover. Mainly because it was what I had sitting on the bench. A Techspray parts cleaner would have done the same thing.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We used to hold such things over the trash can and just drench them with spray electronic cleaner until they were literally dripping from it. That would get rid of a ton of bad stuff with no ill effect.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Any updates on the restoration WW?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I decided to do what I can with what I have and get the amp up and going. I may, at a later date, do a full blown rebuild and replace the chassis, but for now...bead blasting.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Primer done...so now it is what color to paint the chassis? It has some pitting from the rust so a nice gloss wouldn't be the best choice. I'm leaning towards making the base and the chassis a semi-gloss black and painting the transformers a deep red / burgundy and maybe with some metalic in it (think automotive paint).

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Here is the base already done in Krylon semi-gloss black lacquer and the emblem nice and polished.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Ok here it is. Not original, not perfect but a lot better than it was and not as good as it will be some day.

Like I've said so many times before: ~There are many roads to audio nirvana, while the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Thank you but I think it only rates a nice. Besides I can now see finger prints on the transformers. I need to remember to wipe stuff off before taking flash pictures. It actually looks better in person. The flash washes it out some. The colors are richer.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
A little music for the dining room. This pushes some Martin Logan Prodigy's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing