When attending a hifi

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
There’s an on going thread about certain amps only really able to play ‘small scale music’. I have a problem with that. Amine how easy can it be to reproduce a sweet young thing out of the Met singing a little aria? Easy peasy.
Heres a somewhat more difficult challenge

When I used to do hifi shows I made a point of keeping them an ‘audiophile free zone’. For me it’s just too easy. Sure the big guy with the big ticket items next door had wall to wall MOFIs or UHQRs or Nimbus or whatever; he probably has multi lp 45 one cut per lp and One Steps now with his 100k pre amps and Japanese knock off amps. Nope. I played The Velvets The Beatles Indian raga music Rage Against the Machine Zeppelin The Doors et al. Far more challenging IMHO. When you go to a show ask them to play some hard slamming rock or pop music off standard vinyl. You might not like it compared to their usual Classics Analogue Audios MOFIs etc audiophile selection. Take your own lps coz actually they won’t have the former. There’s a reason for that.

It’s the same reason they won’t likely play YOUR lps. ( yes I agree there are some exceptions/exceptional exhibitors .)

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
You're flogging a dead horse again!

If one likes to listen to "hard slamming rock or pop music" at home, then do as you suggest - take it along for a demo. But only visit the rooms that have amps, speakers that suit this brutish uncivilised music. I was hugely impressed at one show where Darude's Sandstorm was playing at obscene levels. Fantastic on the big B&W 800 series speakers, but would I buy those speakers? No, because I don't want to listen to Sandstorm or its ilk on a daily basis. Speakers and amps need to match the type of music we each want to listen to.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Oh it’s you again…

‘speakers and amps tend to match the type of music we each want listen to’ is quite frankly the most bizarre and hilarious comment I’ve encountered on here. Can I send you an award?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing