MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Fios is great. They are pushing an even faster service called Fios Quantum. 10 bucks a month more. I may spring for it. I'm a lemming.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

The last time I checked, I was getting about 35 down and 9 up (wired) and now this. Apparently Comcast must have done something to speed up their service (and didn't bother to let me know).

Wireless is almost as fast.

photo-1.JPG

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What if? ...What if tomorrow we would be losing our PCs and Macs all together?

How many of you (us) here could live in a world without computer communication and Downloading and Uploading Speed?

Just a simple question; nothing more. ...Think tornado for example, and no going back...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The last time I checked, I was getting about 35 down and 9 up (wired) and now this. Apparently Comcast must have done something to speed up their service (and didn't bother to let me know).
About a month ago Comcast doubled its speed. We received a letter from them saying the same. There is a ton of promotion from the local phone company for half the price of Comcast. So they felt compelled to differentiate this way.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had Comcast for TV and internet, but my wife is a Farmville addict and our Comcast Internet was way too unstable to keep her happy. We were always dropping our internet and having to reset the modem. We had 10Mbps when it was working. I had to go back to DSL which I could only get at 3Mbps. It's not as fast, but it is reliable. Part of the price you pay for living in BFE.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Upgraded my service and finally getting some decent upload speed. I was at less than 1Mb/s a few months back.

Below is what I was getting before:

Speedtest.png

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Time Warner in NYC sucks. Thank you Mr. Dolan! Right now at best 19 down and 1.9 up. B-A-R-F!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Just checking on my speed and making sure I'm getting what I pay for. LOL!

BTW....my upload speed is like lightning as compared to before. Before it would take hours to upload a 3-minute video, whereas now it's done in 15 minutes. Sweet!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Wi-fi at 50 ft from modem/router

3167029359.png

This is via my Mac Airbook wi-fi at 50 ft away from router. Sitting 2 ft. from router, download is 35-40 mBps. My Ethernet hard-wired Mac sees about 85 mBps, as a comparison. Is this typical, and would we benefit from one of the wi-fi signal boosters?

Thanks,

Lee

Attachments

• 3167029359.png
    3167029359.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 109

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is pretty poor. I get 60 mbit/sec on my wifi so only a tiny loss compared to wired access.

To get there though, you need to throw out the consumer wifi devices and get enterprise class ones that allow you to install multiple units. I have two, one at each end of the house and have superb reliability to boot.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sure. You want two things in your wireless access point:

1. Ability to have more than one station. With a single station, you get fast speed close to it and poor performance away. With enterprise class access points you can deploy more than one and even set their range. This means you can put them close to the place you will be using them the most. Wifi speed is highly dependent on distance.

2. Reliability. Consumer Router business is super competitive. Companies ship products quickly with little testing and as a result, you wind up with failures every few weeks if not more often. Enterprise access points and routers are tested to much higher quality and reliability since down time creates high IT costs.

Now, traditionally such products are fairly expensive and require training/expertise to install them. There is a company however called Ubiquity that is turning this market upside down. It produces near-enterprise quality products but prices it at consumer levels. Here is the product I (and my company heavily) use: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...qid=1387147198&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquiti+unifi

As you see it is just $65 -- an incredible value at 5X that amount. Here is the problem though. The software on installation can go wrong and getting it working again can be a bit of a nightmare. If you manage to get it working, it is "set it and forget it." It will run like a swiss clock. I reboot mine maybe once a year. You would not believe how much better life is at home with this product. Make sure to get at least two of them if you go this route. Read the first two reviews on Amazon and you get a more detailed picture of what I just mentioned.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Sure. You want two things in your wireless access point:

1. Ability to have more than one station. With a single station, you get fast speed close to it and poor performance away. With enterprise class access points you can deploy more than one and even set their range. This means you can put them close to the place you will be using them the most. Wifi speed is highly dependent on distance.

2. Reliability. Consumer Router business is super competitive. Companies ship products quickly with little testing and as a result, you wind up with failures every few weeks if not more often. Enterprise access points and routers are tested to much higher quality and reliability since down time creates high IT costs.

Now, traditionally such products are fairly expensive and require training/expertise to install them. There is a company however called Ubiquity that is turning this market upside down. It produces near-enterprise quality products but prices it at consumer levels. Here is the product I (and my company heavily) use: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...qid=1387147198&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquiti+unifi

As you see it is just $65 -- an incredible value at 5X that amount. Here is the problem though. The software on installation can go wrong and getting it working again can be a bit of a nightmare. If you manage to get it working, it is "set it and forget it." It will run like a swiss clock. I reboot mine maybe once a year. You would not believe how much better life is at home with this product. Make sure to get at least two of them if you go this route. Read the first two reviews on Amazon and you get a more detailed picture of what I just mentioned.

So, do I simply need to get a couple of these, plug one into my current router/modem via Ethernet and configure it at that point? Do I need any other hardware? Is this compatible with the Arris Gateway supplied by Comcast?

As you can see, I have no ego in the game about computing. There may actually be a few other members here who also don't just understand what is required to hook these up to achieve fast wi-fi throughout a large home.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, you need an ethernet port for each. And need to know how to disable your current WiFi. Be sure they come with power supply. They use PoE which means power over Ethernet. The standard adapter has Ethernet in and out which adds the power. I looked but was not sure this version comes with that anymore or not (mine did but was $99).

Buy it from Amazon or somewhere where you can return it if you can't get it working.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing