We've discovered how Bruce gets those blazing internet speeds:

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Oh... you're REALLY gonna hate me now!! :rolleyes:

View attachment 4177

You moved to another place so that you can get even more speed!!! :eek:

* Did you try to rent a penthouse on top of the Empire State Building?
...Or on top of the Space Needle in Seattle?

P.S. Cool picture just above Lee. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh I REALLY hate you now! Come to think of it though, when it comes to stealing, the POLE is more tempting. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

View attachment 4285

You are so right. I have Cablevision and as everyone knows, the cable is shared, unlike a Fios telephone line. Let me simply say my house is the last little leaf, on the smallest twig, on the most distant branch from the trunk. AARRRRGGGGGGHHH! Help meeee pleeeeease!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It certainly doesn't feel this slow. That's why I checked - and posted it.

Interesting how in a city 1400 years old, in a room in a building from the 17th century, on my laptop it feels like home. I just uploaded a big file to update something on the Genesis website, and it went up in a flash! Uploading pictures to Tripadvisor and Facebook, browsing, etc. didn't seem much slower than back home.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

View attachment 4285

Wow! I am actually embarrassed to release my information...Your speeds are smokin' hot! I could only imagine how fast you get things done on the net. Holy smokes.

2086756064.png

:(

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow! I am actually embarrassed to release my information...Your speeds are smokin' hot! I could only imagine how fast you get things done on the net. Holy smokes.

View attachment 4608

:(

Tom
Funny story. When Comcast brought in internet to our area, I think I was the first or second person to sign up. Needless to say, I got ample bandwidth. During that time, I could access my *work* servers faster than if I was at work! Sadly, six month later everyone else discovered broadband and it has never been that way again.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Amir, what I'm wondering after your comments is how in the world does Bruce get an overall score of *99% faster than the US* while using in a highly populated city, such as Seattle?

Tom

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Amir, what I'm wondering after your comments is how in the world does Bruce get an overall score of *99% faster than the US* while using in a highly populated city, such as Seattle?

Tom

I actually live about 14miles east of Seattle in Issaquah. This is a new development with good fiber optics and a lot of Microsoft/Hi-tech people living here. Now Comcast will be offering 305 speeds!!!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Lucky dog! :) I'm happy for you Bruce. That is some definite fast speeds!

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Tom
Density is a very good thing for speed. It means distances are shorter and that means faster transmission/lower cost to get it there. This is why people in Tokyo have had 100 mbit/sec speed for almost a decade now!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Dead on Amir! ...And it is possible for some people to get up to 200 Mb/s! :eek:
...About $100/month.

The further you live in the countryside, usually the lowest your speed (several areas are without high speed). And some places you can't even access the Internet! ...Is that possible? ...I'm talking physical wire connection here (coax cable, phone line, etc.).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
---The further you live in the countryside, usually the lowest your speed (several areas are without high speed). And some places you can't even access the Internet! ...Is that possible? ...I'm talking physical wire connection here (coax cable, phone line, etc.).

My family back in rural Virginia were still on dial-up not long ago. They are just now getting into DSL!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---One of my friends lives in the forest, up a mountain, and he has no Internet access at all.
...No electricity either, no cable, and no phone, no washing & drying, no nothing! :b
Total monthly payments? Nil, nada, zip!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My family back in rural Virginia were still on dial-up not long ago. They are just now getting into DSL!
We were in the same boat with our vacation house until about a year ago when all of a sudden the phone company offered 8 mbit/sec DSL. I signed up and the response is superb. So few people use it that you always get 8 mbit/sec with very low delay and very predictable latency (delay). I like it much better than my 20 mbit/sec cable at home which has unpredictable response.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing