What's the best way to digitize a vinyl collection, for a non-audiophile?

caesar

May 30, 2010
A friend, who has a vinyl collection to die for, travels a lot. How can he digitize his vinyl collection? What equipment is required? And what are the steps?

(Although he can afford an amazing system, he thinks high end is too expensive. And he does appreciate vinyl over digital. Go figure.)

I remember reading about Ayre QA-9 a while back in Stereophile. Is that the ideal tool for the job? Or is it "too much", for a non-audiophile?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I Use one of these on the move for vinyl , fits in your pocket
you could rip vinyl flac/wav or even DSD if required via SD Cards

http://www.astellnkern.com/

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I bought the Tascam and I'm just starting to play with it. Basic functions seem easy enough.

Bruce in PA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A friend, who has a vinyl collection to die for, travels a lot. How can he digitize his vinyl collection? What equipment is required? And what are the steps?

(Although he can afford an amazing system, he thinks high end is too expensive. And he does appreciate vinyl over digital. Go figure.)

I remember reading about Ayre QA-9 a while back in Stereophile. Is that the ideal tool for the job? Or is it "too much", for a non-audiophile?

You should either contact Larry Toy aka Astrotoy here or search WBF for some of his posts on the subject. Larry's in the middle of doing a very comprehensive project digitizing 15K or so records.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The simplest way is to use the Tascam.

If you want the Best way, I use either a Pyramix/Horus or the Sonoma/Grimm.
For all the Wilson Audio transfers we're doing, tape and LP, I'm using the Sonoma and a modified EMM Labs ADC8 IV

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You should either contact Larry Toy aka Astrotoy here or search WBF for some of his posts on the subject. Larry's in the middle of doing a very comprehensive project digitizing 15K or so records.

That sounds like a job from here to eternity.

At 40 minutes per LP, that's 10,000 hours for 15,000 records, or 40 hours/ week times 50 weeks/year for 5 years!

Am I missing something?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
This is how I do it. Phono preamp from table into ADC then stored on Sound Devices. Minimal editing needed and the sound is very good.

578241_442513339108080_906294033_n.jpg

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
That sounds like a job from here to eternity.

At 40 minutes per LP, that's 10,000 hours for 15,000 records, or 40 hours/ week times 50 weeks/year for 5 years!

Am I missing something?

Yes, it takes longer than that. But I am retired, so I have time. In addition, I do parallel declicking, so I am limited to about 12 LP's a day. So far it has been more than 3 years including figuring out the best equipment to use and learning how to use it. So now I can typically rip about 60 -70 records a week. So far I have done over 16TB of records and tapes at 192/24. When I am finished in about two years I will have done over 10,000 records and tapes out of my collection of 15,000. Almost all are classical.

Larry

I am using a PM Model Two, Pyramix Software with a Mykerinos Card for the ripping and Izotope RX2 for declicking. All the rips are at 192/24. (TT is VPI HRX with Rim Drive, Lyra Skala or Lyra Helikon Mono, Custom Bottlehead Phono Pre with variable EQ for pre RIAA EQ's).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing