What's The Best SUV?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like the BMW X5, rides like a sedan but enjoys the SUV benefits all over.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As has been said previously, it all depends on your needs. The only SUV that would meet my needs had to have a LOT of space inside and be able to haul a large trailer --- and that eliminated almost all of the nicer high end SUV's (too small).
That was my requirement too and was fortunate to find Land Rovers being able to pull 7,700 pounds (my boat is about 7,000 pounds). My LR4 has exceptional power, good level of luxury, huge amount of space inside given the boxy back design and beautiful to look at. It also has low-range gearing and in that mode, you absolutely do not feel the load behind you as you pull forward! Now, it won't go faster than 30 mph in that mode but nothing stops it once you put it in low. Could not be more pleased. I had the LR3 before which had all of these virtues but was underpowered and had cheap interior. Both are fixed in the LR4.

So if you don't need the extra 1000 pounds that Tahoe manages, I think it represents an excellent alternative.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I guess the SUV meaning depends on the local or the people. TO me it means a vehicle with good road manners and off-Road capabilities. In my country (Haiti) the latter is the most important since good roads are scarce. In here in the States, it seems to be a station wagon with a slightly different shape .. which would present an appearance of off-road capability.. Appearance only . Because for off road, cars like the BMW X or the Lexus RX or the new HAcura MDX or a plethora of these SUVs...don't qualify .. You go off road with one of these you may not return
The earlier Mercedes ML and Acura MDX did have some off road capabilities present models ? I am not sure they can venture anything more off road than a perfectly manicured polo field ... And please don't haul anything with them .. They can't the "utility " is in name only so I can't see how they can be best SUV maybe best SVs
For my money, I would go (repeating myself here) with the Lexus GX or LX, very luxurious, very reliable and real off road capabilities, especially the GX... I would have loved the Range Rovers but their reliability reputation is not stellar, far from it .. But man! to me the best looking SUVs there are ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing