What's The Best SUV?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not that I'd ever own one, but I heard that the Porsche Cayenne is a pretty good ride!

John

PS~ I really like the Ford Edge styling too!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
X5 M/// ? At least it's guaranteed to get you arrested :lol: Well the W12 Q7 TDI, Cayenne Turbo and SRT8 will too!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the question is hard to answer without knowing what size and features you want. I am actually looking at SUVs right now since my lease is expiring. But I have special requirements like towing a boat that is 7000 pounds which you may not have. In this class, I am looking at Landrover LR4 (I own LR3), Mercedes GL-450. The latter has gotten more good reviews than any its class, including Q7 Steve mentions :p. Unfortunately as a rule, all of these are unreliable with LandRover being the worst. That said, my LR3 has been very reliable and I have had it for 5 years.

In mid-size SUVs, Acura MDX would be a worthwhile one if you have an eye toward reliability. The infinity SUVs are also reliable but are small and ride is harsh. Lexus is also reliable but I have never cared for their rear hatches (opening sideways) and tiny third-row seats.

So tell us more about your requirements and we can give more relevant advice :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not that I'd ever own one, but I heard that the Porsche Cayenne is a pretty good ride!!
I test drove it years ago and it had great power and handling. Unfortunately, it was smaller than many sedans and reliability at least at the time, was horrendous.

BTW, VW will bring in a new SUV next year that is a huge step up from the current platform used for Cayenne. So right now may not be the best time to get one as far as depreciation is concerned.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Saw the BMW X6M the other day. 550hp in an SUV, with handling and ride that eclipses the X5 (IMO). Test drove a Turbo Porsche Cayenne (520hp), flies, but it's a heavy vehicle. Perhaps the new VW (same lineage as Porsche) will be based on a lighter frame.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw the BMW X6M the other day. 550hp in an SUV, with handling and ride that eclipses the X5 (IMO). Test drove a Turbo Porsche Cayenne (520hp), flies, but it's a heavy vehicle. Perhaps the new VW (same lineage as Porsche) will be based on a lighter frame.

Lee
Lee I know your wife just bought one so please close your eyes and cover your ears......

BMW....Not a chance in hell

Far from the ultimate driving machine

I have a 740iL and it is the biggest POS I have ever owned.

My buddy has the Porsche which I like but he also has the Q7 which I drove and this for the money is truly superb.

Audi is really doing it right in the past few years

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I started the thread to get the general concensus from those in the know or those into SUV's, hoping fellas will share their preference, personal knowledge, ownership experience, dream SUV's etc.

Not that I'd ever own one, but I heard that the Porsche Cayenne is a pretty good ride!

John

PS~ I really like the Ford Edge styling too!

Hi John,

I like the Edge too, the 2011 Edge Sport with Eco Boost (359 hp, turbo) looks awesome. I have a very good ownership experience with Ford and will consider owning Ford again.

X5 M/// ? At least it's guaranteed to get you arrested :lol: Well the W12 Q7 TDI, Cayenne Turbo and SRT8 will too!
nice suggestion, from a guy whose drives an M3 & X5(s). How is your experience with the new diesel engine? I looked at Touareg Diesel, nice interior and sounds different from the diesel engines that I am accustomed to.

I think the question is hard to answer without knowing what size and features you want. I am actually looking at SUVs right now since my lease is expiring. But I have special requirements like towing a boat that is 7000 pounds which you may not have. In this class, I am looking at Landrover LR4 (I own LR3), Mercedes GL-450. The latter has gotten more good reviews than any its class, including Q7 Steve mentions :p. Unfortunately as a rule, all of these are unreliable with LandRover being the worst. That said, my LR3 has been very reliable and I have had it for 5 years.

In mid-size SUVs, Acura MDX would be a worthwhile one if you have an eye toward reliability. The infinity SUVs are also reliable but are small and ride is harsh. Lexus is also reliable but I have never cared for their rear hatches (opening sideways) and tiny third-row seats.

So tell us more about your requirements and we can give more relevant advice :).

If I am buying and using my brain - I will buy MDX. We have good ownership experience with Acura as well. MDX is a very impressive vehicle, nice performance and very nice cabin too. But I think I'm using my heart this time.

part of the reason why I started the thread is because I am in the market for an SUV. Bad back and big tummy forbids me from buying a sport car. If I could buy a sports car, I'll probably chase a Cadillac XLR or a Corvette. I am looking for an SUV that's good in pretending that he is a sports car :cool: , SUV with more emphasis on sportiness. I am not a carguy, but want to buy a nicer one that I inted to keep as a toy car (summer only & weekend driver), and keep it until I grow old (46 now). Meaning, an SUV that will age gracefully.

Lee

I was told by the sales manager of a local VW dealership that the base price of the new Touareg and maybe the Cayenne could be even lower than the 2010's - because the offroading features will be offered as an option only.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Steve,

No offense taken. The 535i is a completely different machine than the larger 740iL, with a far greater HP/weight ratio. It also has the M sport suspension option, so handles like a sports car. My buddy in Ohio competes at Watkins Glen and other Sports Car Club of America courses and says that many folks are racing the BMW 335i. That is very similar to what she bought (hers is 100 lbs. heavier). It does not compare to the larger tugboat 7 series in my opinion. We drove them all.

But, as in audio, tastes differ. So, if the Beemer isn't your cup of tea, I respect that.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mercedes GL-450. The latter has gotten more good reviews than any its class, including Q7 Steve mentions

Amir

I am not so sure that I agree with you. My oldest son owned a GL-450 and was driving down from Big Bear with his wife and family. The car was all of 3-4 months new. As he navigated the switchbacks coming down the mountain he suddenly had total loss of brakes and almost went over the side of the mountain. I have no vested interest in Audi as I have never owned one. I personally prefer and will always buys a Benz. Over the years I have owned 6 or 7 Mercedes but when my son told me his story that ruled out the GL-450. When I drove the Q7 it is like a sherman tank. It is heavy, stylish and well built and drives great. If I were to buy an SUV it would be the Q7

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
My wife and I bought the MDX a couple of years ago. At that time it easily outperformed the competition in its class. All of the professional car review magazines also placed it first in its class.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir

I am not so sure that I agree with you. My oldest son owned a GL-450 and was driving down from Big Bear with his wife and family. The car was all of 3-4 months new. As he navigated the switchbacks coming down the mountain he suddenly had total loss of brakes and almost went over the side of the mountain. I have no vested interest in Audi as I have never owned one. I personally prefer and will always buys a Benz. Over the years I have owned 6 or 7 Mercedes but when my son told me his story that ruled out the GL-450. When I drove the Q7 it is like a sherman tank. It is heavy, stylish and well built and drives great. If I were to buy an SUV it would be the Q7
As I mentioned Steve, reliability is poor in all of these SUVs. When I said GL-450 gets good review, I meant on performance, not reliability.

BTW, latest consumer reports rated SUVs. Not sure I agree 100% with their rankings but here it is anyway:

Code:
    Model          Reliability
1. Acura MDX          Very Good
2. Mercdes GL-350(D)  Poor
3. Buick Enclave      Good
4. Mercedes GL-450    Poor
5. BMW X5 35d         N/A
6. Volvo XC90         Fair
7. Land Rover LR4     New
8. Lincoln MKT eco    New
9. Toyota Land Cruiser N/A
10. Audi Q7 V6        Poor
11. BMW X5 3.0si      Fair
12. Lincoln Navigator Good

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, seems like for Toyota, when it rains, it pours. CR gives the rating "Don't buy: Safety Risk" to Lexus 2010 GX-460 due to roll over risk!!! Last time they did this was 9 years ago.

SORAsound

May 14, 2010
We have an Audi Q7 4.2. I like it very much and i think it has a good value, certainly if you compare it with its German price tag (soooo much higher). It does not fly partly because i have my wings broken partly because the car is so heavy...
If i were to do it over, i would look at BMW 6 series seriously.....

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Framing the subject better would help. SUV is too vague a term. If by a SWUV you mean those big cars looking somewhat like a all terrain vehicles but with no true-terrain capabilities then the answer is allover the place.
The Q7 , the BMX X series, The LExus RX-300 or the Mercedes ML would not last a day in really rough terrain the real purpose of SUV...
Interestingly Lexus has a vehicle that is a REAL all terrain vehicles the GL 10 .. A real All Terrain vehicle ..
In term of reliability, well the Lexus trumps them all. They simply work and never go down. The base of the GX-10 is the World-known Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. A work-horse in places where there is no roads. In term of real All terrain capabilities the Range Rover.. and of course the brutal and superb and expensive Mercedes G-Wagon, the famed Gelen Wagon /// Ugly, boxy but is at ease in bad terrain or the smoothest road . Reliability is good but not as good as the Lexus...I should mention in passing that the Range Rovers are the worst when it comes to Reliability .. if you need a reliable car, stay away from them ... Have a look at any reliability report for Luxury SUV or cars and the Range Rover is ALWAYS at the bottom ..

Frantz

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Dimf,

Maybe it's just me but no matter how well an SUV can be made to handle, like the Cayenne, X5 and X6 Ms, that high center of gravity just can't give me that feel for the road a real sports car or sports sedan does. Maybe that's why I kept my good old 2001 e46 M3 which to date only has 8,000 miles on it and my brothers, who between them have a Range Rover Sport, Q7 TDI, Lexus GX 470 and Cherokee SRT8 have their toy cars as well (V10 M5 and RS4) respectively. I almost sold the M3 to get an X6 M but the price was too much for a car that too me was still handicapped by too much height and weight as all luxury sport SUVs are. I figured i'd be getting a jack of all trades, master of none kinda deal so I nixed the idea.

I decided to get sane and just get the diesel as at that time fuel prices were just horrific. So I ended up with two cars for myself and dough left over for my LL1-ML3 fund :) , one I could still scare the bejeezus out of myself with on sport mode and one I could drive to the mall with the entire family in tow without fear of some punk kid vandalizing it out of spite, yet be fun enough to take to Tagaytay or Baguio with two golf sets and luggage thanks to big torque for spirited hill climbs and good enough feel to be safe while moderately quick.

If there was or is an SAV or SUV that would straddle the line between on and off road with adrenaline surges best, I think it would be the Cayenne Turbo. I just really can't seem to fall for the looks. Unlike the few others in the super sport SUV class, aesthetically speaking, it just has a weak chin. I know it is because Porsche doesn't want to sacrifice off road ability but really, who's going to take a six figure car river crossing?

Styling wise, I think the only one that will age gracefully will be the Range Rover Sport. All the others I think, including the actually rather grotesque M suvs, will look very old hat when their makers release their replacements. Too bad it doesn't have quite the grunt even if it is supercharged.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have often wondered why that is esp with Range Rover IMO being the first SUV

I'd venture to guess economies of scale, laggard engineering, and too many changes in ownership. The Land Rovers are still work horses though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing