What's Spinning Tonight?

but yours does not look like the one from “that era” 1950s it is the reissue from 2010 or after?
It’s a reissue! I would definitely like to get the original. My Miyajima uses a 0.7 mil stylus. My understanding is that it is the preferred stylus for later mono reissues. For true mono reissues, you should use the 1.0 mil stylus.

On a completely different note, here’s what I am listening to now. The magnificent haunting sad desperate sound of Shostakovich‘s Quartet number 8, played by the erstwhile Fitzwilliam Quartet. For many years, I owned the original Decca recording on LP. Foolishly discarded it when I moved to the Bay Area. Now I am reduced to streaming the entire series. Not the same sound as the analog original. But, still, in any form, a desert island disc. For those unfamiliar with Shostakovich string quartets, they represent to me the finest contribution in this medium since Beethoven. They capture the tragedy that is modern Russia, in the grip of tyranny, so much promise and hope buried in sheer terror. Shostakovich wrote this quartet under Stalin’s thumb. He was vilified by Stalin for writing his famous opera Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, a brilliant piece that was roundly condemned by Stalin and his underlings. Shostakovich complied with the regime, producing his bombastic symphonies, but his real artistry survived in his string quartets, which were highly personal. The Eight and Fourth are personal favorites of mine. Haunting music that will keep you up at night, wondering what our fate is as humans as we all march inexorably to meet our maker.

• Love
Reactions: J007B and Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing