What's Spinning Tonight?

Gui Boratto/Renato Ratier Speicher 90 (Kompakt)

Gui-Boratto-Renato-Ratier-–-Tesla.jpg

Alva Noto Xerrox Vol. 3 (NOTON)

A10341T000000YFWYS_T33262968210054.jpg

Alva Noto Unieqav (NOTON)

95322.jpg

A gentle man recommended this album in another forum. I just received mine today. Just excellent excellent music and recording.

2754C895-D560-49EB-B6FF-6EDC4B278F59.jpg

Tang

A gentle man recommended this album in another forum. I just received mine today. Just excellent excellent music and recording.

View attachment 39644

Tang

When I tried to turn my screen upside down to look @ the album cover, the picture turned in sync with the screen. The trick for me is to put the screen horizontally flat on a surface and turn the screen 180 degree. Of course it won't work with a computer's screen, but it does with my laptop and my notebook. ...And with my phone when I quickly shift it 180 degree, even holding it vertically.

20180402_110022.jpg

I don’t remember who recommended me this Beethoven Piano Sonata but I would like to thank you very much. Such beautiful music and sound so “right there.”

9513DA1E-F33D-42F2-907B-54CF8C707930.jpg

Tang

I did in my email to you :). I use this and Arthur Rubinstein RCA red seal Beethoven emperor Boston symphony for piano during my auditions. The Appassionata is a bit audiophile and does not sound right on some systems, I don't know why. It sounded fantastic on the Allaerts FM Zellaton.

Also, I recently bought a 45 rpm Byron Janis piano rendition of pictures at an exhibition from speaker's corner. You should get that. I haven't heard it yet, but the performance on CD was spectacular so am sure this will be.

Last edited:
I did in my email to you :). I use this and Arthur Rubinstein RCA red seal Beethoven emperor Boston symphony for piano during my auditions. The Appassionata is a bit audiophile and does not sound right on some systems, I don't know why. It sounded fantastic on the Allaerts FM Zellaton.

Also, I recently bought a 45 rpm Byron Janis piano rendition of pictures at an exhibition from speaker's corner. You should get that. I haven't heard it yet, but the CD was spectacular so am sure this will be.

Thank you again Kedar. I will try to get the Rubinstein and the Byron Janis 45.

This Appassionata somehow sounds more open, better decay, and “right there” with your Coralstone/Axiom than MSL/SAT.
Now that talking about it I just realize I was playing with the height adjustment of SAT yesterday. I must have screwed up my original setting. This could happen when you read too much tonearm set up thread :p.

Kind regards,
Tang

Lol. Actually, please play that LP across your turntables and phonos. Please see if in some instances, it becomes un listenable, because the loud parts get too loud and jump at you. Also, in some instances, it might sound a complete well integrated sound. If that's the case, we can isolate the issues to analog set up

Lol. Actually, please play that LP across your turntables and phonos. Please see if in some instances, it becomes un listenable, because the loud parts get too loud and jump at you. Also, in some instances, it might sound a complete well integrated sound. If that's the case, we can isolate the issues to analog set up

Good point. This LP is incredibly dynamic and it captures a lot of information in those grooves. If something does not sound right, there is something wrong with the set up or system. This LP is a kind of "acid test" for me. If it sounds natural and convincing in a system, then the system should be pretty well sorted out. I played this for two of my friends who recently came over to hear my new speakers. Just my opinion.

Good point. This LP is incredibly dynamic and it captures a lot of information in those grooves. If something does not sound right, there is something wrong with the set up or system. This LP is a kind of "acid test" for me. If it sounds natural and convincing in a system, then the system should be pretty well sorted out. I played this for two of my friends who recently came over to hear my new speakers. Just my opinion.

Since tang hasn't experienced that issue with one of his set ups, it means there are no issues downstream. So if he does experience it on one of his other TTs, we can isolate it to the analog section. Then we can further investigate if it is due to cart phono mismatch, or the tonearm being too loose, or whatever.

I am not willing to say this LP is an acid test yet. For me, the Rubinstein not flowing well is lack of natural ness and a fail. System rejected. If the Appassionata succeeds it is the cherry on top.

Since tang hasn't experienced that issue with one of his set ups, it means there are no issues downstream. So if he does experience it on one of his other TTs, we can isolate it to the analog section. Then we can further investigate if it is due to cart phono mismatch, or the tonearm being too loose, or whatever.

I am not willing to say this LP is an acid test yet. For me, the Rubinstein not flowing well is lack of natural ness and a fail. System rejected. If the Appassionata succeeds it is the cherry on top.

I agree with you about using this LP for diagnostic purposes, in a general sense. I don't mean to comment in any way about how this sounds in Tango's system. We all have different "acid tests", Bonzo. This is one of mine, as is the Sheffield drum track. These too LPs demonstrate dynamics and if a system can't do dynamics, it fails for me. They are both well known. I then use a variety of more conventional LPs to see if the system plays magic. These LPs are lesser known, but have great emotional meaning to me, and I know them well. I think the LPs that one chooses to gauge the success of a system is a very personal choice which reflect his subjective priorities.

Last edited:
You are misunderstanding me. I did not say I would not want to test dynamics. My point was that I am not yet certain this LP can be used to conclude that a system cannot do dynamics

You are misunderstanding me. I did not say I would not want to test dynamics. My point was that I am not yet certain this LP can be used to conclude that a system cannot do dynamics

Thank you. It is also good for determining if the system can separate the notes when it gets very fast. Thank you Tang for describing how it sounds in your system. It is a wonderful recording for revealing the differences between systems and components. Your different arm/cartridge combinations would be very fun to hear and compare using this recording. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Hi Tang, what I am saying is, I want you to try playing it with different combinations and report where it doesn't work.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing