What's Best? Soulution, CH Precision, Vitus, or Ayre?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. That doesn't look very small, I'd guesstimate 14 feet wide? However, the speakers are very close to the sidewalls.
Yes and there is a wall behind them, after which the U for the window opens behind them and adds some space but you can’t put them there. So it is like a 14x14 space plus the U shape. The speakers are in a corner

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I would love to stop by for a listen. I get to Destin every once and a while.

But I will say the VAC and Acora pairing at Axpona was truly wonderful. Unfortunately the Vitus-Estelon system was not so wonderful there which is a shame for a $1.2 million system.

I agree on the Vitus / Estelon pairing. A friend who was there reported to me that someone kept moving the upper module of the speakers, so very few if any were able to hear what the Estelon’s could actually do. Also, you don‘t use a Stormtank power supply with Vitus. It steals the soul of the music. I don’t fully understand this last reason, but he tested it some years back…

But I own Magico M3s. So, we don’t move the speakers rather the music moves us …:p

Next time you’re in the area give me a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee

ogshighend

Aug 13, 2023
Reactions: howiebrou

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello. Thanks for the welcome
I am in both worlds , i am final user with collectible tube gear and owner of highend audio store. I understand perfectly the difference between the comercial and personal taste because I never loose how my heart is connected with the soul of the music.

In this forum i write like an audiophile about the passion i share with a friend who is a real collector of japanese amps, preamplifier, turntables, etc and we listen and compare every week different amps, cartridges only for hobby with no commercial intentions. he opportunity of listen more than 50 old iconic brands like shindo, kondo, Audio Tekne, airtight, and of course Western Electric, Valves's world etc. All this with TAD , Avantgarde and Voxative
I write about compare Airtight with Kondo in terms of music soul and personally we prefere Airtight for the described up . Anyway is we need to compare with Audio Tekne or Valves's world we need to talk again because we are talking about the real high-end and the price and name is very subjective.

I am glad to share my experience with distinguished gentleman audiophiles

OGS

View attachment 115073
Is that a Yamaha GT-2000X in the picture? Nice TT!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
there is a good CH Stenheim system in London you can go around to listen. It has gain, feedback impedance settings to be set right for it to sing
Whereabouts in London 'bonzo75' ?
Do you know what the CH system consists of ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ooo with the Grandprix Audio Monaco :) V2 ???? with a Kuzma 4Point 14" arm
What was the cartridge fitted to the 4Point ?

he had an Opus, then tried a mid etsuro model and has gone back to Opus.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

ogshighend

Aug 13, 2023

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I apologized for calling XV-1 a douchebag but he has not apologized for calling my thoughtful thread “BS”.

I proudly stand by my comments on the problems with the Law of Diminishing Returns. $2 million speakers refers to technology advances in the future and what realism we might expect. It’s me thinking aloud In wonder. It’s not an endorsement for $2 million speakers. And yes, I do believe the XVX and dCS DACs represent new technology being applied in ways that serve music.

You certainly did not apologise to me. You were just embarrassed for getting caught acting like one.

You are what Ron calls intellectually corrupt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You certainly did not apologise to me. You were just embarrassed for getting caught acting like one.

You are what Ron calls intellectually corrupt.

even in his above post he seems to pointing out his dCS CH thread was thoughtful. Lolz

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
even in his above post he seems to pointing out his dCS CH thread was thoughtful. Lolz

Cash for comment works that way :p

Gotta keep promoting so the 75% off pricing stays.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
After having heard lots of solid state lately i think i have narrowed it down , CH M 1.1.
Should work fine with my ( single ended ) CAT pre, the CH has both balanced and single ended inputs

I think my choice is gonna be this one second hand off course , what also matters is that i have more or less concluded all power tube amps colour the sound ( incl my own CAT .)
Solid state has improved over the years

1700664832653.png

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc and MadFloyd

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After having heard lots of solid state lately i think i have narrowed it down , CH M 1.1.
Should work fine with my ( single ended ) CAT pre, the CH has both balanced and single ended inputs

I think my choice is gonna be this one second hand off course , what also matters is that i have more or less concluded all power tube amps colour the sound ( incl my own CAT .)
Solid state has improved over the years

Very interesting report!

I am still tripping over Gian's Viva Aurora --> CH and Arnie's VTL Siegfried II --> CH.

What do you hear from your CAT that makes you feel you hear some tube signature?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Very interesting report!

I am still tripping over Gian's Viva Aurora --> CH and Arnie's VTL Siegfried II --> CH.

What do you hear from your CAT that makes you feel you hear some tube signature?

It smears over detail , the inner musical details become more obvious with top SS.

Rockport LYRA / CH 10 series made it quit obvious .
Also Halcro/ Vivid / analogue did it for me

After the last shows here in brussels i drew the same conclusions after hearing ARC / wilson and Octave .

In my new speaker designs i use top of the line scan speak which are a bit more revealing .
Even testing with my DIY 10 watt SS Class A amp versus the CAT made it obvious .

Another conclusion i have drawn for myself is that a bass reflex design smears the sound as well .
Due to mixing of the air coming from the port and unit membrane air displacement

Last edited:
Reactions: ashandger and chuck

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Very interesting report!

I am even more tripping because I have heard CH many many times now and STILL don't get that kind of shift.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing