What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
Info.
Real home in vivo test: 5-way horn (in DIY).
Horn low, EV Patrician IV (with EVM18B): 4 Watt / 109dB (some more, before amp clipping, setting classe A, Monster-Hiraga. Or SE300B)
Other horns low-mid & mid (WE66A/Iwata ….): 1/10Watt

Is it “the best” … I don’t no (probably one of ...).
But, in (full) percussion it’s breathless ….. & devine.

Crazy test (& ear plug)

Karel

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Info.
Real home in vivo test: 5-way horn (in DIY).
Horn low, EV Patrician IV (with EVM18B): 4 Watt / 109dB (some more, before amp clipping, setting classe A, Monster-Hiraga. Or SE300B)
Other horns low-mid & mid (WE66A/Iwata ….): 1/10Watt

Is it “the best” … I don’t no (probably one of ...).
But, in (full) percussion it’s breathless ….. & devine.

Crazy test (& ear plug)

Karel

Yours is on par with the best. Just fantastic.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I had asked about the Tune Audio Marvel because there is one in my area and I plan on demoing it next week. Next month I'll have a chance to hear the Zu Definition (apparently a model without the built-in subwoofer and amp). At present, there is no chance that I know of for me to hear a Tune Audio Anima, hORNS Universum, or any of the Odeon models in my area.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had asked about the Tune Audio Marvel because there is one in my area and I plan on demoing it next week. Next month I'll have a chance to hear the Zu Definition (apparently a model without the built-in subwoofer and amp). At present, there is no chance that I know of for me to hear a Tune Audio Anima, hORNS Universum, or any of the Odeon models in my area.

Tune Audio Anima and hORNs universum are easily superior. Both are very different though. Marc hates horns and will recommend the Zus.

Reactions: ihmeyers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m a bit confused by this Zu Definition that you’re hearing.

By definition, sorry , it’s a model w built in sub/amp.

Maybe this is a model Zu are thinking of bringing out based on the Definition?

FWIW, this spkr extends full range down to 35-45Hz in room (in my old space I achieved 45, here 35), and so needs sub bass augmentation.

Are you going to hear it w Zu subs (Undertone or Submission), or someone else’s subs?

I think if you don’t, you may feel shortchanged.

Reactions: ihmeyers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I don’t hate horns, but I will recommend Zu.

I guess a 50% strike rate on Fake News from you is pretty good going.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
What do folks think of the Tune Audio Marvel?

I have pair of Marvels in my home office system:

Marvels in office.jpg

They don't have the mid-range purity of the Animas (in my main system) - but then again, very few other speakers I've ever heard anywhere do. Otherwise, I think they're really good. The top end is virtually identical to the Animas', and the bottom end is very powerful (really room-shaking), though less nuanced than the Animas'. For the 1/3 of their retail price that I paid for them used, I think the Marvels are truly 'Marvel'ous. Not sure I'd pay full retail for them, or how they compete with other offerings at that price point.

HTH.

Mani.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, I don’t hate horns, but I will recommend Zu.

I guess a 50% strike rate on Fake News from you is pretty good going.

I meant those two horns - anima and universum. You don't like both. Though Unis you heard only at a hifi show in 2014 or so

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard Manisandher's Tune Audio Anima which he drives with a First Watt clone amp that cost him 1k. Direct from the Phasure dac, though he has his rear wall all lined with fantastic classical LPs that he uses only as diffusers for his main stereo system :)

Just fantastic. It made me realize why I liked Animas so much. I hadn't heard them since the Munich 2016 show, and before had heard them often. Now, after a gap, just loved them again. The tone of the strings, woodwinds, and brass is magical, as is the chest of the baritone. And this in a 5.1 x 4.3m room. Even in such a room (Animas can do even better in bigger rooms), the soundstage was big and coherent, no harshness, just musicality. I could easily buy these, if they were cheaper and in my budget, or if they come up used at a good price, will buy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You see Ked, you can be more accurate when you try.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, I’m a little nonplussed at this. The Definitions are just more complete speakers w the subs. Happy to chat more by PM if you wish, I’ve been running the 2s and 4s for a decade now.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Pretty much all I know about the Universum and the Anima is from reading posts on this forum. On vocals, am I right in assuming that the Anima sounds more immediate and palpable but the Universum sounds more open and free of enclosure (horn/box) colouration?

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
I heard Manisandher's Tune Audio Anima...

It was good to meet you Ked, and I'm glad the Animas lived up to your high expectations, even in my modest room. I'll let you know if/when I get around to bi-amping them.

Mani.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pretty much all I know about the Universum and the Anima is from reading posts on this forum. On vocals, am I right in assuming that the Anima sounds more immediate and palpable but the Universum sounds more open and free of enclosure (horn/box) colouration?

Yes. Anima have a horn and wood sound (in a good way) and the universum are more like stats but with more bass than quads. However words don't mean much as I like both and while I can describe differences, words can make one sound more negative to the other but that won't be the case. It will really come down to preference. However both will be easily superior to the others mentioned especially for jazz and classical.

Depends what you listen to more - classical, jazz, rock, electronic. More vocals or piano or orchestra etc

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm pretty much a rock and singer-writer guy; think Neil Young -- I need his solo acoustic stuff to sound great and his heavier stuff with Crazy Horse to be satisfying as well.

My suggestions were not based on that music. Though Zep sounds better on Anima, as does ACDC, and the Anima distro is a prog rock fan. That said, Avantgarde might be better for rock, and the box like woofers of the duos might be preferred by those who prefer amplified. Just a guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing