What You're Missing

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The harshness of early cds, made from masters equalized for vinyl, is the result of a poor source.

I wonder who started this myth. Pre and De-emphasis in the LP process happens after the master. Masters are ""flat" regardless of what medium they are to be reproduced in. Early CDs sounded bad for many reasons among them the pressing machines themselves.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hello Tim

It's not the same thing IMHO. You had a Zipper on Sticky Fingers, textured and embossed covers, on Stand Up you had a caricature of the band that stood-up when it was opened, on Dark Side of The Moon you have posters and actually many had posters inside. On Ambrosia's second you had a cover that could be folded as a pyramid and many other unique and creative designs that no photo's could ever do justice to.
album
Rob

You're right on all counts, rob. There's also the way the seeds rolled right down the spine of a double album, making cleaning and listening a singular experience. But I enjoy the new paradigm as much as the old one. YMMV.

Tim

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I think what Tim is saying is that jitter and noise are introduced when converting the performance from analog to digital? When making copies in the digital domain as long as the transfer is bit perfect there should be no difference as far as I know.

Sean

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think what Tim is saying is that jitter and noise are introduced when converting the performance from analog to digital? When making copies in the digital domain as long as the transfer is bit perfect there should be no difference as far as I know.

Sean

This agrees with my understanding.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Sean

That's the idea, as I understand it, though you wouldn't know it by me. I haven't heard the noise floor in years; never rises above the voices in my head, and jitter? I listen to all digital all the time, and mostly redbook. And I can listen for hours, even with headphones, without suffering from the glaring, fatiguing, sibilant digititis that seems to be killing people around here. I'm sure I've got jitter, don't we all? But if it's audible, I don't know it.

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
You don't know it until it's gone....or it appears.

Tom

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
In honor of this thread, I decided to have a "digital" night with my much neglected CDs. No ultra fancy stuff, Pioneer DVD player with firewire to Yamaha RX Z9 dacs.

Sounded fantastic, no conventional digititis. I usually put the digital signal through a Meridian digital preamp/processer which increases the digital word length to 24 and adds dither, and sounds a bit more resolving and smooth, but haven't used it in so long, I didn't want to bother hooking it up.

Can't say I have heard digital at any price that sounds significantly better. Played some SACD as well, sounded nice.

Finished it off with a vinyl-gasm and Peter Gabriel.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hello Tim

It's not the same thing IMHO. You had a Zipper on Sticky Fingers, textured and embossed covers, on Stand Up you had a caricature of the band that stood-up when it was opened, on Dark Side of The Moon you have posters and actually many had posters inside. On Ambrosia's second you had a cover that could be folded as a pyramid and many other unique and creative designs that no photo's could ever do justice to.

Rob

-----Yeah, The Rolling Stones:

* 'Sticky Fingers' with a real zipper! :cool:
* 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' with a cool 3D front art cover! :cool:

Etc., etc., etc... including Double LPs with three or four covers folding; Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Yes, David Bowie, The Who, The Doors, ... :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In honor of this thread, I decided to have a "digital" night with my much neglected CDs. No ultra fancy stuff, Pioneer DVD player with firewire to Yamaha RX Z9 dacs.

Sounded fantastic, no conventional digititis. I usually put the digital signal through a Meridian digital preamp/processer which increases the digital word length to 24 and adds dither, and sounds a bit more resolving and smooth, but haven't used it in so long, I didn't want to bother hooking it up.

Can't say I have heard digital at any price that sounds significantly better. Played some SACD as well, sounded nice.

Finished it off with a vinyl-gasm and Peter Gabriel.

-----Burr-Brown PCM-1792, but only half a Stereo DAC per channel.
{Only the Center channel has a Stereo DAC all by itself; differential mode.}

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Actually, I think there is one two channel dac per channel, used in some kind of complimentary mode. Each channel has its own two channel dac. Don't know if thats always better, or just there for hype.
The RX Z9 has a ton of dac chips for all the channels.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Actually, I think there is one two channel dac per channel, used in some kind of complimentary mode. Each channel has its own two channel dac. Don't know if thats always better, or just there for hype.
The RX Z9 has a ton of dac chips for all the channels.

-----Nope sorry I have the schematics right in front of me. :b
I'm a hard core follower of all Yamaha A/V Receivers for years and years.

In your particular case, the RX-Z9 has 6 Stereo DACS for 11 channels total.
...Meaning one DAC only per channel, except for the Center channel as I mentioned before.
100% certain! ...I can even see them from the printed digital circuit board.
{Six stereo DACs mean twelve mono DACs. ...For eleven channels in the Z9.}

What the Z9 has in big numbers though are the DSP chips; eight of them total!
Those are all 32-bit floating point designs. That is a lot of processing power!
...Four are for the Cinema DSP and Hi-Fi DSP, and the other four for YPAO (Parametric Acoustic Optimizer).

Like I said, I got the very detailed graphs plus precise pictures right in front of me as I type these words.
They are part of my extensive audio library.

Denon flagship A/V receivers used differential mode in its DACs configuration, not Yamaha.
Yamaha is putting his main energy on its own made DSP chips.

I'm big on Yamaha, Denon (Marantz), Onkyo (Integra), Pioneer Elite, Rotel, NAD, Arcam, Anthem, Emotiva, Sherwood Newcastle, ... A/V receivers, integrated amplifiers, and separate amplifiers.

* Best is four DACS per channel (Quad Differential Balanced mode). And only the best; dCS home made DACs, EMM DACs, ESS Sabre32 DACs, BB PCM-1704K (K for highest grade), BB PCM or DSD-1792 DACs, and RING DACs (Arcam and few others).

Sooory for the small 'interlude'.

It's too bad because I have a thread on A/V receivers, but no 'customers'. :b
WBF's members are into separates big time!
Very very very few have a top gun receiver as their main Cinema attraction.
A surround processor (Pre-pro) is the way to go around here.
...With separate power amplification.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"This did not seem problematic to me since the RX-Z9 has a superb noise floor in all listening modes, partly attributed to careful circuit layout and implementation of the absolute best DAC's on the market - the Burr Brown DSD-1792s in differential configuration. As a side note, two channels of the PCM/DSD-1792's cost about twice as much as all of the lesser audio DAC's used in many costlier exotic processors. The good news is Yamaha spared no expense and implemented these DAC's on all channels , including the presence and subwoofer channels - and in balanced configuration! What my listening tests confirmed was the RX-Z9 was acting like a great sounding DAC for two-channel applications. If you have an older CD changer with an optical or coax output, I highly recommend using it as a transport and letting the RX-Z9 revitalize its fidelity."

From Audioholics review.

I also seem to remember the product brochure stating that there were dual dac for each channel. the RX Z9 has nine channels including sub. Maybe you are looking at 11 channels from the Z11?

Who knows, it sounds great, I will check later to find the product brochure that has a diagram that illustrates the dac's. I am not an expert on digital design, differential dacs were supposed to sound better.

The RX Z9 was Yamaha's last large AV receiver that was primarily devoted to sound quality. The later RX Z11 was more about home theater.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I wonder who started this myth. Pre and De-emphasis in the LP process happens after the master. Masters are ""flat" regardless of what medium they are to be reproduced in. (...)

Jack,

As far as I could understand, you can have two types of masters - the tape created by the recording engineers and producers (the master tape) , and at a later stage, after you do the mastering you have the tape you deliver to the people cutting the lacquer . This was called the vinyl master, and was optimized during mastering to overcome the limitations of vinyl. Pre and de-emphasis are not part of this process. If this tape is used for the CD you get a wrong balance.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Can't say I have heard digital at any price that sounds significantly better.

I think the slope of the diminishing returns on DACs is so steep that it makes the expensive ones nearly pointless, but I wouldn't expect anyone who has invested several thousand dollars in a DAC to agree with that.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wonder who started this myth. Pre and De-emphasis in the LP process happens after the master. Masters are ""flat" regardless of what medium they are to be reproduced in. Early CDs sounded bad for many reasons among them the pressing machines themselves.

Flat compared to what, Jack? I'm not a mastering engineer, but my understanding is that equalization is a big (the biggest?) part of the mastering process. It is also my understanding that the tapes vinyl was created from were equalized to compensate for vinyl's weaknesses. If this happened "post-mastering," what is that tape called?

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing