What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
the BEAT

She's very elegant in her all white wedding dress like that.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Very nice Sean. What wood is that for the burly plinth ? Looks like hard maple.

Thanks Christian. The trim is birdseye maple. The plinth is made out of 3 layers of 1.5" maple butcher block with layers of cork in between. Right arm board is 2 1" thick stainless steel plates with a layer of copper in between. I'm using Stillpoint Ultra SS for feet on an EquaRack stand.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Christian. The trim is birdseye maple. The plinth is made out of 3 layers of 1.5" maple butcher block with layers of cork in between. Right arm board is 2 1" thick stainless steel plates with a layer of copper in between. I'm using Stillpoint Ultra SS for feet on an EquaRack stand.

Looks and I bet sounds great. Time for me to sign out and put the AF1 under more tests. Ray Brown Soular Energy 45 rpm may be a good start for the evening.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Oh this got by me.

Sounds great SA. These arms perform as good as they look. On the Telos is an Atlas and on the Talea II a Gold Finger Statement. Phonostages are EMT JP-66 with Tele 803s throughout.

Pre is a VTL 7.5 Series 3, Speakers are VSA VR-11Mk2s, Amps for the Mids and highs are VAC 450 Statement IQs, for the midbass, Sigfried 2s.

Tape machines are an 820 into a custom King Cello and an ATR into an Aria.

Cables are all Elation for signal, all Zitron Anaconda (I think that's what they are) for power.

I think you missed a pair of monos - the Wavacs.. or better yet, share some pictures here at WBF ;)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I decided to stain the top and put a clear coat on it this week. Looks a little better now.:D
View attachment 12023 View attachment 12024 View attachment 12025 View attachment 12026 View attachment 12027
Sean, I haven't really been following this thread but that is absolutely gorgeous! Who made the plinth? And what's up with the copper platter? And finally, are the Stillpoints underneath the top surface of the plinth or connected to the base where it interfaces with your rack?
Sorry for the questions- as you may remember I still have my old Sp-10 (albeit a Mk 1) that I bought new, back in the day, and think about using an upgraded mkII as a second table. Very nice work.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks Bill, I built the plinth a little over a year ago. I got some helpful advise from a friend that builds his own turntables and plinths for Technics, Garrard, and I think even Lenco's. He helped steer me in the right direction for what type of materials to build it out of. I also consulted with him on how I was going to build it. I just finally got around to putting a finish on it.

The platter mat is a Micro Seiki Cu-180. It's kind of rare but known to be a good match with the SP10. The Stillpoint's feet are under the plinth between the plinth and rack. You can't see them from the angle I took the pictures.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks Bill, I built the plinth a little over a year ago. I got some helpful advise from a friend that builds his own turntables and plinths for Technics, Garrard, and I think even Lenco's. He helped steer me in the right direction for what type of materials to build it out of. I also consulted with him on how I was going to build it. I just finally got around to putting a finish on it.

The platter mat is a Micro Seiki Cu-180. It's kind of rare but known to be a good match with the SP10. The Stillpoint's feet are under the plinth between the plinth and rack. You can't see them from the angle I took the pictures.

cool. bet it rocks. I haven't run my SP-10 in 20 years and the mk 1 is nowhere near the later ones in performance. I do use it to spin records to dry clean them before I wet clean them before I put them in the ultrasonic, if that makes any sense. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not that I haven't flashed this table before, but here it is in action, playing a Vertigo 1st Uk press of Master of Reality:
image.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing