What speakers are you using for your ARC tube amp?

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Is Futterman still around?[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply Don .Anyway I dont think Futterman is still around if you mean the company.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Julius Futterman died more that 10 years ago. I have never seen or listened to a Futterman built ampliifer - just to the New York Audio Labs (NYAL) Futterman OTL3 and later a German made perfect copy, both driving ESL63.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Futterman

The Technics 20A was another great OTL do drive the ESL63.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/otl/technics_20A_1965_75w_on_16ohm_50h-b26.gif

A very good friend had a Futterman OTL driving Crosby modded Quads. Quite lovely if limited, esp by today's standards. The Futterman had been given a thorough working over also by George Kaye. Problem with the Futterman's and the reason my friend sold his is that it frequently broke down :(

Also heard way back a Futterman driving Soundlabs at this dealer who lasted about six months :( Problem was this dealer couldn 't set up a system if his life depended upon it.

George had also designed an OTL for David Chesky to drive his then Soundlabs. I don't think it was ever quite finished as it was going to be 500 or 600 wpc (?).

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thank you all... I did remember Julius passed away (an interesting person I met only briefly at a few shows), wasn't sure if NYAL was still making them.

And yes, reliability was their bane... I once modified a pair of OTLs (not mine, friend of the store owner for whom I worked) to improve the d.c. output stability and add more protection, an effort that was unfortunately only mildly successful. I never really warmed to their sound, though they were cleaner than most tube amps back then. Alas, the color is why many buy tube amps.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I've got a REF 5/210 monos fronting Scaena 3.2s. Very happy with the combo.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
The first Audio Research amp I bought was the D 70 which I used to drive the ribbon of my Magnepan MG 3. At that time I was using a PS Audio amp to drive the bass and midrange of the Magnepan MG 3. I upgraded the PS Audio with a D 115 to drive the midrange and bass of the MG 3. Then I tried just using the D 115 to drive the MG 3. This was the sound I liked the most so I disposed of the D 70.

I no longer have the D 115 or MG 3. I now have an Audio Research D 76 which I use to either drive the Spica TC 50 or the original WATT or the Crosby modified Quads.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've got a REF 5/210 monos fronting Scaena 3.2s. Very happy with the combo.

Did you try putting the KT120s in your ref 210? Our local distributor did it in his demo pair and the result was impressive.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Haven't changed any of the tubes. What was impressive about the result?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Haven't changed any of the tubes. What was impressive about the result?

Bass and dynamics seem noticeable better. From the few times I listened to the REF210 with the 6550s it did not sound as a very powerful amplifier - sometimes a little restrained and laid back. It had more power than a REF110, but mot too much. But now, it seems more expansive and seems able to fill a big room with sound much easily.
Anyway I have only listened to it in shop demos and shows - never owned them. But a few friends who also listened shared the same idea.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bass and dynamics seem noticeable better. From the few times I listened to the REF210 with the 6550s it did not sound as a very powerful amplifier - sometimes a little restrained and laid back. It had more power than a REF110, but mot too much. But now, it seems more expansive and seems able to fill a big room with sound much easily.
Anyway I have only listened to it in shop demos and shows - never owned them. But a few friends who also listened shared the same idea.

That's interesting, considering my VS115 is now factory equipped with the KT120s. I wonder how my 6550 VS115 will sound when I get to re-tube it to KT120s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing