What should be my next cart and tonearm?

I don’t know what listening to classical music has to do with natural sound. We all have natural sound experience when we listen to everything around us and instruments and voices. Tang is very open minded about audio. Didn’t David teach you about analog when you visited him the first time? We’ve all learned a lot from the guy.

I learned a lot from most of my visits. The good ones and the bad ones. But you two seem to think defending 3012r with Lyra compatibility is the ultimate offering to the only teacher. You could have moved on two days ago.

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA
Now you're making stuff up in your head Bad day at work? I had nothing to say about Lyra except it's compliance spec relative to effective mass. You made more of that than what I wrote, bringing in Tang's opinion to talk about sound. Now let's drop it.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
I learned a lot from most of my visits. The good ones and the bad ones. But you two seem to think defending 3012r with Lyra compatibility is the ultimate offering to the only teacher. You could have moved on two days ago.

That’s very funny, Bonzo, but I know you didn’t mean it that way. I find posts much more effective if they are not so personal.

Now you're making stuff up in your head Bad day at work? I had nothing to say about Lyra except it's compliance spec relative to effective mass. You made more of that than what I wrote, bringing in Tang's opinion to talk about sound. Now let's drop it.

You appear incapable of construing or recognising that the Tango references that Kedar is making are all much later than the cut n paste reference that you offered up as the ‘Word Of Tango’ As for “ Now lets drop it “ Perhaps you shouldn’t have started it !

Here is Tang's one quote for those that are not tribal sheep but actually understand natural sound, not just because someone has told them 3012r produces natural sound

"The Lyra (AtlasSL) Gian, Bonzo and I find most dynamic and energetic in our systems with the SAEC 506. I found AtlasSL sounded less Atlas-like when on 3012R."

Honestly I can't believe I am spending time against the two of you defending this resonating piece of metallic shite and its compatibility with one cart.

Did Tango hold onto his Cessaro’s Kedar ? He seemed quite happy with them , and made a handful of pretty good audio vids as I recall.

That’s very funny, Bonzo, but I know you didn’t mean it that way. I find posts much more effective if they are not so personal.

Your post which was personal started it, so read again. I held myself back

Reactions: Argonaut
The other factor when we have different subjective opinions is that not everyone has the same goal. Tang told me his music listening experience goal is a natural sound presentation and this may well explain why Bonzo and Tang had very different opinions of the Atlas SL/3012 R combination in Tang’s system.

Are you really back to [maybe Kedar likes unnatural sound]?

Well, less Atlas-like might not be a bad thing. it’s all about synergy between arm and cartridge.

I believe the 3012R has a very slight smoothing effect on moving coil cartridges, which is why I personally like the 3012R.

It also sounds, excellent with the Opus 1.

I also like the ZYX UNIverse Premium on the 3012R.

[3012R] holds its own in very expensive, famous modern tone arm company, and some even prefer it. Impressive.

I agree with this.

Reactions: abeidrov
I believe the 3012R has a very slight smoothing effect on moving coil cartridges, which is why I personally like the 3012R.

I also like the ZYX UNIverse Premium on the 3012R.
The Zyx sounds good on 3012r and on many other arms.

The effect on Lyra wasn’t smoothing, it was suffocating dynamics. And not really making it any natural for those who like or don’t like Lyra

Reactions: mtemur and Argonaut
Are you really back to [maybe Kedar likes unnatural sound]?

He is right given his first natural sound definition that natural sound is the use of Lamm, Ching cheng and 3012r

He is right given his first natural sound definition that natural sound is the use of Lamm, Ching cheng and 3012r
What is wrong with Lamm? I thought you liked tubes:))

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing