What is your take on AC outlets

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This was installed by a licensed/bonded electrician and was passed by the King County Building Permit inspectors. It my not pass in YOUR county, but here it did!

Here in Reno I also have a separate panel outside, parallel to the main panel for the rest of the house. I guess you could say they both come out of the same "service entrance".

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Running separate wires from any point before the service entrance and probably before the main circuit breaker box is not permitted by code.

Separate ground rods are dangerous and not permitted by code!
Ground rods are all about safety during thunder storms and power company accidents.
Ground rods have almost nothing to do with audio quality. But in some cases grounding an audio system can worsen audio quality.

Speedskater was nice enough a few months back to get deep into ground rod considerations here (pun intended);

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...power-solution&p=148809&viewfull=1#post148809

taters

Jun 6, 2012
+1

the Furutech GTX-D Rhodium are the best sounding outlets i've used by far. i have 9 of them in my system with the Oyaide outlet covers.

previously i had the Oyaide R-1's and before than the Jena cryo'd ones.

and i would choose the purest copper connection over the best gripping power. turns out metalurgy rules.

I called the Cable company this morning to get prices on the outlets. The Oyaide sell for between 112-175. The Furutech sell for 95-239. Unlike cables and tweaks these are not returnable. So it's really a crap shoot.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
I've read all the positives about the Furutech GTX-D but my question is for those running 240V outlet...who makes "audiophile grade" 240V ones? And does it make any difference if the next item in the chain is a 240/120V balanced transformer (Richard Gray stuff)? All the RGPC power devices already have Hubbell outlets in them so unless I swap all of those out for better ones, what would a receptacle do for this?

BTW, hospital-grade are supposed to grip better but I find that these giant audiophile connectors and gardenhose-sized cables still pull them out enough to expose the blades. See the pix...

LessLoss_sm.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
BTW, hospital-grade are supposed to grip better but I find that these giant audiophile connectors and gardenhose-sized cables still pull them out enough to expose the blades. See the pix...

The only one I've found that can hold them tight enough, at least for me, is the Oyaide R-1. It almost feels like it "snaps" in to place. my powercords are about 4kg.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
The only one I've found that can hold them tight enough, at least for me, is the Oyaide R-1. It almost feels like it "snaps" in to place. my powercords are about 4kg.

Just curious: have you tried your 4 kg(!) power cords with the Furutech GTX-D receptacles?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I've read all the positives about the Furutech GTX-D but my question is for those running 240V outlet...who makes "audiophile grade" 240V ones? And does it make any difference if the next item in the chain is a 240/120V balanced transformer (Richard Gray stuff)? All the RGPC power devices already have Hubbell outlets in them so unless I swap all of those out for better ones, what would a receptacle do for this?

View attachment 7756

SURPRISE! Your outlets are installed UPSIDE DOWN.

Hospital outlets are supposed to have the ground pin on top.

Take a look at Leviton's website: http://communities.leviton.com/serv...2099-102-1-3203/Spec All HG IG Receptacle.pdf

It is a safety factor for hospitals to have the ground prong on top.

Having the heavy, longer ground pin on top will also keep your heavy plugs from pulling out better.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What you are looking at is his Richard Grey power supply [or other RG product], Gary. There is no top or bottom on mine but that's good to know, regardless.

Tom

Amado

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Take a look at Leviton's website: http://communities.leviton.com/serv...2099-102-1-3203/Spec All HG IG Receptacle.pdf

Having the heavy, longer ground pin on top will also keep your heavy plugs from pulling out better.

if you click on the link below you will notice the wood spacers below my cable elevators for my EA triple run power cords for the dart 458's. they keep my $3600 (list price) 'very heavy' power cords plugged in 'flush' with the outlet cover.

i tried to post the picture but the file was too large.

http://gallery.AudioAsylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=4961&f=a-cables_281_of_129.jpg

my lighter Absolute Fidelity power cords have no issues staying flush. however; they don't sound 'quite' as good as the EATR (which is twice the price of the AF) on the amps.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
This was installed by a licensed/bonded electrician and was passed by the King County Building Permit inspectors. It may not pass in YOUR county, but here it did!
Oh, now I see what you did! I was thinking of something else. And yes you would need a ground rod for thunderstorm safety.

stereotek

I saw the exact demo in the MIT room this year at RMAF. I bought several of their 20 amp AC outlets with noise suppression

I have three dedicated 20 amp lines in my theater:
- amps
- subs
- sources

MIT 20amp super AC outlets are the best bang for the buck investment I've made during my 10+ years in the a/v world.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have three dedicated 20 amp lines in my theater:
- amps
- subs
- sources

MIT 20amp super AC outlets are the best bang for the buck investment I've made during my 10+ years in the a/v world.

What's nice about the MIT with noise suppression is that this AC outlet will provide noise suppression to other outlets in parallel on the circuit out to 12-15 feet in either direction

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Inspired by this thread, I went ahead and installed some. Two to be exact. Favorable impressions so far across the entire spectrum of frequencies/experience. Further observations will be disclosed as the listening sessions progress. Enjoy the music!

Tom

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC

So basically, Richard Gray screwed up and should have flipped all the outlets 180deg? Nice. :(

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
There is NO code rule or law about positioning the ground pin top or bottom. But some groups or associations may have a limited requirement. The NEC code forum does not even permit discussion on this subject. At home I wired some receptacles upside down, but never again! Units like my Kill-a-Watt meter expect receptacles the old fashion way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing