What is new in my music library? (recent purchases I enjoy)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I might not call it NEW since it is an old record tat mispleced somewhere - just got the CD version of Captain Fantastic - Elton John.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very chill, deep house with powerful deep bass...

Bedouin.jpg Bedouin - jeremy & walker.jpg Bedouin 2.jpg

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Managed to source an original pressing in Mint condition.... View attachment 29049 ...It's really a great LP. Charlie Musselwhite is something else...and Doug isn't too shabby either. The SQ of this LP is pretty close to reference quality IMHO.

I don't have that one in my collection.... great a ''new old Mcleod'' to go hunt for!

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
IMG_0559.JPG
I missed the release of this album from The Tierney Sutton Band and they do some quality arranging of stings songs. Just forget Message in a Bottle, I never liked that song.
Madeleine Peyroux, Secular Hymns sounds great in Hi Res and IMO much better than the Norah Jones album both sonically and musically.
IMG_0558.JPG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
bach goldbery - gaede trio.jpg
bach goldberg - dershavina.jpg
bach goldberg - nikolajeva.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Die Antwoord ....also got their Donker Mag album

Die Antwoord.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Buddy Guy & Junior Wells.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How's the quality? I thought they were kind of interesting, but did get somewhat upset with them after they made that long video where they're total **** heads.

I am with you...i found a few tracks disturbingly raw...i am not a fan of that kind of sick violent edge to some of their rap. But fortunately, most of the tracks dont have quite that extreme an edge...and the beats are extremely good. On the one hand, you've probably heard most of these beats elsewhere if you listen to enough deep house, rap and hip hop. On the other hand, i give them a lot of credit of mixing it up in very original formats. And frankly, i've heard these beats done elsewhere by others not nearly as well. So i got 2 of their albums.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
No thoughts on Sonic qualities?

My problem with the video was they killed innocent man to take some wheelchairs from him. The guy wasn't nice to them, but they proved him right when they kill him and then kill some other dude who wasn't even mean to them. Their other videos are them being poor idiots with style & game; and I thought they were really well done representations to go along with interesting sounds and rapping. I guess I don't know their other songs well enough to comment on the violence in them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

My problem with the video was they killed innocent man to take some wheelchairs from him. The guy wasn't nice to them, but they proved him right when they kill him and then kill some other dude who wasn't even mean to them. Their other videos are them being poor idiots with style & game; and I thought they were really well done representations to go along with interesting sounds and rapping. I guess I don't know their other songs well enough to comment on the violence in them.

Frankly, I listened to the audio from youtube which had no video here...based on what you just described, i am perfectly happy i did not see it. I ordered the albums and will let you know about sound quality. Given the attention they have paid to their music, i am hopeful they did a good job on audio sound as well. stay tuned.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hi Folsom,

I have listened to the album...well done sonically. Not a BIS Classical recording but very good. (No Bruce Springsteen struggles here, if you've ever tried to find a well mastered CD of his.) I like the music, find it creative, and ignore the occasional parts which are a bit too raw.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks LL21

BTW, I am expecting my 2nd album and instinctively feel i will much prefer it...will again try to remember to let you know:

Die Antwoord.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone heard this Remastered edition (2015)? Just ordered it as it is truly fantastic music...

Handel Messiah - Hogwood Remastered.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nigel Kennedy plays with bravado and his performance over-reaches above the music itself...you can hear Kennedy in his renditions. The question is whether that is because he is being too much of a virtuoso...or whether because we have grown accustomed to a formality and strict form of classical music...kind of like listening to Shakespearean actors who read the lines back with nobility...vs those actors who bring Shakespearean English 'back' to as understandable a form of English as possible by speaking Shakespeare's English with a more everyday rhythm.

For the moment, I have heard little of his interpretations but am willing at first glance to give him a LOT of credit for managing to do his thing in a way that brings a radical breath to classical music. For the moment, I am prepared to see it as kind of like his attempt at reaching back over 300-400 years of classic musical playback shellac and trying to figure out what a 33 year Bach or Beethoven was really trying to do.
Kennedy - Bach.jpg Kennedy - Beethoven.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks LL21

Hey Folsom,

So i am listening to the 2nd Die Antwoord Album (Mount Ninja and Da Nice Time Kid). For me, a better album overall. The first one i got (Donker Mag) has the popularistic 'Ugly Boy' and a few others...but i prefer this album overall. I feel like i can listen to the whole album straight or just about. Very good quality sound as well.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
R-416733-1122825877.jpg

Original US pink rim Island pressing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing