What is a tone control?

Again, if it's that big a change (or a whole lot less), it's measurable, which is, sort of, what off the charts means. Have Neil Muncey and/or SCIN (whoever they are...) supported their claims with any data? No, I didn't think so...

Tim

I'm done with you:D

I'm done with you:D

Yeah, I believe we're true believers in opposite philosophies. Still have one thing in common, though -- enjoy the music!

Tim

I am not taking positions in this SCIN / ferrite debate, but as in my work I have to deal with charges of hundreds of electrons I take induced noise very seriously. A good paper on SCIN in audio can be found here :

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AESPaperNY-SCIN-ASGWeb.pdf

Grounding and shielding is a very complex business. If your place has serious RF/EMI problems putting or changing a few ferrite rings can cause large changes in sound. But unless you understand very well what you are doing, most of the time you just get changes, not systematic improvements. Most of the times an improperly placed ferrite will just increases the RF interference.

Happily most of us do not live near a radio station or have radio-amateurs in the neighborhood. But the proliferation of RF cordless equipment generates a lot of noise.

As usual, you have to experiment to take your conclusions - the theories are too complicated and there are no universal recipes. Also some equipments are much more susceptible to RF than others.

I am not taking positions in this SCIN / ferrite debate, but as in my work I have to deal with charges of hundreds of electrons I take induced noise very seriously. A good paper on SCIN in audio can be found here :

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AESPaperNY-SCIN-ASGWeb.pdf

Grounding and shielding is a very complex business. If your place has serious RF/EMI problems putting or changing a few ferrite rings can cause large changes in sound. But unless you understand very well what you are doing, most of the time you just get changes, not systematic improvements. Most of the times an improperly placed ferrite will just increases the RF interference.

Happily most of us do not live near a radio station or have radio-amateurs in the neighborhood. But the proliferation of RF cordless equipment generates a lot of noise.

As usual, you have to experiment to take your conclusions - the theories are too complicated and there are no universal recipes. Also some equipments are much more susceptible to RF than others.

I have no problem with ferrets, in a ring or a line. And usually they're pretty quiet little things. But if they're audible, they're measurable.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing