What do I need to know to buy a good USB. stick for storing/playing CDs

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I have a very well regarded media streamer, the Audio Alchemy DMP-1. I have my digital library on a Roon Nucleus. But the Audio Alchemy DMP-1 has better audio fidelity. I’ve been advised to invest in a USB stick, download some albums from my Roon Nucleus library, and plug thr USB stick into thr DMP-1 for superior audio. I’ve never bought a USB stick before and I notice the prices per unit of storage vary widely so, just wondering......what should I look for in buying a stick. I assume USB 3. But then what?

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I was always under the impression that USB sticks were less than optimal for playback due to restricted data transfer rates. Maybe I've been misinformed?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Even the "expensive" ones are cheap. Why do you presume there is a difference?
My take on USB sticks is that some have faster transfer rates - these tend to be the costliest. And as always, the very biggest capacity (sticks, hard drives, SSDs etc) tend to be disprortionally expensive than the next size down. The latter is best value.

As audio requires much lower transfer rates than say video, fast but not necessarily the fastest sticks are perfectly OK. Peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing