What charities and other non profits do you support?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Curious as to who gives and what they support. A comment made on another thread peaked my interest about this topic.

I try to support many albeit in small amounts. Despite the amount, I get a great deal of pleasure of "sharing" to support worthwhile causes.

My main interests are National Public Radio and APSCA.

Thanks for sharing.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
We support a local nonprofit agency (House of Hope) that provides food, clothing, furniture, financial assistance, information & referral, and case management services. We send a continuing monthly cash contribution because they have an excellent reputation and are helping local people get through hard times.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am a feeder by nature and I like to feed those that don't ask to be fed. Many people have been fed and did not know where the meal came from. That way I am 100% sure all of the contribution went to the cause.
I do not ever give to those standing on corners with signs. At that point you become an enabler supporting a drug habit. I have watched them take food and throw it away and get the sign back up in the air. We even had a girl with a fake pregnancy and she stood on the corner fake crying all day every day, people eat that crap up thinking that they are helping, well you are, a drug habit.

Its very difficult to find the line between those that want to be helped and those that work the system for an income.

That is why I tend to seek out people and families that appreciate and accept the help as a way and means to get back on there feet and be productive, rather than be a career burden to the countries budget.

Not trying to start a debate, just saying there are those that want to be helped and live a better life and there are those that this is their chosen career and I choose not to cash their paycheck.

There are plenty of people that choose to live off the grid and I completely respect that, but they truly live off the grid and you for the most part do not know they are there.

Seattle and surrounding areas have a large "homeless" community and a lot of them hold jobs and are productive and you would not know it by physical appearance, it is just their chosen lifestyle.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Aside from sporadic contributions to diverse causes, I give a relatively substantial monthly support to Food For The Poor, which gets good marks from charity rating agencies. I also give a minor monthly contribution to the Environmental Defense Fund.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I support the following charities:

1. Will Work for Music (WWM) society. Money goes toward buying LPs for people who have bought turntables but can't afford to play anything on them.
2. Hungry Audiophile (HA) society. Money goes toward the most needy audiophiles who have put equipment purchases ahead of food and nutrition.
3. Broken Amplifier (BA) society. Name speakers for itself. A broken amplifier means no music. No music means no happiness.

Besides the above, my mother passed away from lung cancer so we donate to that cause.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Medicins sans frontieres. Doing incredible work, and doctors out in the filed literally dying for something bigger then themselves.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congregations For the Homeless
Sophia Way (Local women's shelter)
Monthly feeds at The Salvation Army
Seattle JazzED (provides jazz education to underserved in Seattle I'm a proud Board Member)
Jazz Foundation of America ( provides assistance to musicians in need)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Checking/Testing ... for the ? above

Test

* No, I cannot delete my posts. I can only remove all the texts, and say "delete". There is no "Delete" feature.

? I donate to my government who in turn help others in need; like Fort McMurray people right now.

"In Edmonton, virtually anybody with a hint of wood smoke on them were given free meals, free oil changes, free hair cuts, free pet grooming and fistfuls of cash from random bystanders. When news got around that a Wal-Mart was hassling donation drives held in its parking lots, the store was boycotted and barraged with social media outrage until it quickly apologized and acquiesced. "

That enrages me.

Last edited:

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I am a feeder by nature and I like to feed those that don't ask to be fed. Many people have been fed and did not know where the meal came from. That way I am 100% sure all of the contribution went to the cause.
I do not ever give to those standing on corners with signs. At that point you become an enabler supporting a drug habit. I have watched them take food and throw it away and get the sign back up in the air. We even had a girl with a fake pregnancy and she stood on the corner fake crying all day every day, people eat that crap up thinking that they are helping, well you are, a drug habit.

Its very difficult to find the line between those that want to be helped and those that work the system for an income.

That is why I tend to seek out people and families that appreciate and accept the help as a way and means to get back on there feet and be productive, rather than be a career burden to the countries budget.

Not trying to start a debate, just saying there are those that want to be helped and live a better life and there are those that this is their chosen career and I choose not to cash their paycheck.

There are plenty of people that choose to live off the grid and I completely respect that, but they truly live off the grid and you for the most part do not know they are there.

Seattle and surrounding areas have a large "homeless" community and a lot of them hold jobs and are productive and you would not know it by physical appearance, it is just their chosen lifestyle.

Such a relief you can tell what the story of the guy holding up a sign is, just from looking at them. So good to know that people with drug habbits and homeless dont need support and can just change their mind about their "lifestyle" choice.

Because hey, who would not prefer to have to shoot up a mixture of low grade opioides and conatminants while sleeping under a bridge instead of having a Job and a family.

So good to have such a clear cut view of the world.....

BTW: The fact that there are many who are homeless while still working a job does indeed say a lot about society, economy and wellfare .....

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Test* No, I cannot delete my posts. I can only remove all the texts, and say "delete". There is no "Delete" feature.

Hi Bob,

After I hit ""edit" at the bottom right of the box for one of my posts, the delete post option is at the top of the screen.

I'll show you.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
FYI. You can delete the post so it doesn't appear on the thread.

Goto "edit" and there will be a box (delete post) in the upper left corner. Click on that and then go to the right side and click "delete post".

Post number 11 before delete post executed.

Just deleted my post. Now you are No. 11:cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Such a relief you can tell what the story of the guy holding up a sign is, just from looking at them. So good to know that people with drug habbits and homeless dont need support and can just change their mind about their "lifestyle" choice.
Because hey, who would not prefer to have to shoot up a mixture of low grade opioides and conatminants while sleeping under a bridge instead of having a Job and a family.
So good to have such a clear cut view of the world.....
BTW: The fact that there are many who are homeless while still working a job does indeed say a lot about society, economy and wellfare .....

What you've just said makes me reflect deeper on the understanding of humanity. ...It is much more complex than it appears on the surface.
It is extremely easy to judge as we are conformed to this social behavior. No one has any time to waste in understanding the complexities of our system on the American continent, and other parts of our world.
We love our Moms, our Dads, our families, children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins, ants, uncles, friends, ...
And yet, we don't accept human weaknesses...we can't afford the time to understand.

Anyway, makes one reflect deeper; it sure does to me. And charity, generosity, providing support, helping hand, donations, ... they come in all forms.
Each of the five continents of our planet are the sum of an ensemble; if one suffers...other suffer too. ...That, is human nature. ...Cause and effect, and the largest impact the cause is the longest the effect will last. And particularly in the world we live in today...with the Internet.

Yes, there are many ways we can donate and contribute positively, beneficially and rightly. ...For everyone, even for that child without food across two and half continents.
We're only 7.35 billion inhabitants on our planet. It is mind boggling that some of them are living right across from where we live and are in despair.
In some areas of the USA, Canada, central America, South America, the poverty is so extreme that it keeps growing poorer.
But it's much easier to not go there, to simply forget and not try to understand and do nothing, but do something else in more developed and richer countries.

If you look @ the richest of the richest people on Earth, and the poorest of the poorest; you'll see the greatest human divide that just keeps widening every single day.
And yet, we judge the poorest as criminals, and the richest as the laws and governors to them own selves...in the very general overall reality.

The subject of this thread is a deep reflection of where it all goes, because why there are still people dying of no food and water?
We have it very nice here, on a silver platter, and over there, on a gold platter encrusted of diamonds and sapphires.

I could share few links on how our donations @ some places don't get where it supposed to go, but in helping criminals to buy guns by robbing the convoys of food travelling across their lands, and destined to feed the dying. It requires actual facts, and no hiding from organisations getting donations. ...War veterans; that's another very important group of our foundation, our societies, ...the ones who fought, gave their life and get amputated, destroyed psychologically, raped and forgotten.

Yes, it sure does make some of us reflect deeper and understand better the human machine....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Test #2 (on the 'delete' feature).

EDIT: Sorry, I looked everywhere, and for the last few years, and I never saw a "delete" feature. Again, I looked very hard and everywhere on top, and I saw nothing.
I simply cannot delete my post. If you, on the other hand can, then you have a certain privilege that I don't.
So, like Peter, I too, occasionally (very rarely) will delete all my text, and write down only one word: "Delete", or something else. But the word "Delete" is very honest because that was the first action taken, the simple one. The other great option is to type: "Change", and write something different, another idea on the topic, and perhaps even more advanced and to the point...but not necessarily, because humans have hearts and brain and some of the combinations can be quite complex and emotional too; that could affect our direction all together, and with the result we sometimes see: "Deleted".

To me it don't matter because the word "Deleted" is as good as a delete function, and furthermore it is an opportunity to rectify and improve our posting skills and ideas sharing.

Yes, you are privileged, I am given an option. :b

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Wonderful post Bob.

I do wish I could do more and plan on doing exactly that once I retire.

I'm biased towards animals and particularly dogs because they can't fend for themselves. Having said that, your post has made me reconsider other options.

And I thank all who have participated. There is no greater gift we can give than to be able to help someone, something in need of help.

Gordon

PS: Once you click the box on the left, you have to click the box on the right.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Post number 11 before delete post executed.

Just deleted my post. Now you are No. 11:cool:

I noticed that. I think some members have that feature/option, and others don't...like me and Peter. But I'm just not sure @ all, and I just don't know who is.
It don't really matter much @ all anyway. :b

Bravo! You deleted post number 11, and you screwed me up. :D ...With my little up arrow ? and the word "above" in my title.
_________

* In General Settings (User CP) I made a change, to see if the Delete function would appear; it did not:

Miscellaneous Options

Message Editor Interface:
  • Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I use Standard Editor in my settings.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I use Standard Editor in my settings.

That's the one I was using too in the last five years.
I just changed it to Enhanced Interface to see if it would make any difference, but it did not give me a "Delete" function. It changed few things differently but I'm used to them already, so it is fine by me.

Perhaps if you are a WBF donor (cash, check, credit card, money transfer, ...) you have a "Delete" feature option?
No, that can't be because like me you don't have that banner title under your username.

Bonus:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing