What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
Playing a little catch up after a nice vacation.

51kwTcKH2HL._SX425_.jpg

51z3r2IEOyL._SX425_.jpg

51wOIvmydRL._SX425_.jpg

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Lovely - thanks for posting ^^^ ;).

Tonight - Albinoni, 12 Concerti A Cinque Op.5, I Musici, Phillips 6769 082,

View attachment 26151

Tracklist
1 No. 1 in B flat
2 No. 2 in F
3 No. 3 in D
4 No. 4 in G
5 No. 5 in A minor
6 No. 6 in C
8 No. 8 in F
9 No. 9 in E minor
10 No. 10 in A
11 No. 11 in G minor
12 No. 12 in C
7 No. 7 in D minor

A 1981 (digital) recording that creep undetected into some Decca's I bought from a local second hand shop. It turns out it was $5 well spent, after a jolly good clean. Very prettily done by:

Pina Carmirelli - violino concertante
Anna Marie Cotogni - violino
Michael Murray roberston - viola I
Carol Figeroid - viola II

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
81UU09CZqgL._SX425_.jpg

71vRqG0IdNL._SX425_.jpg
I am listening to the BD-A version of this recording. It's a stunner. One of those times when recording quality and performance quality come together for something really special.

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
View attachment 26159
I am listening to the BD-A version of this recording. It's a stunner. One of those times when recording quality and performance quality come together for something really special.

Oh I love the Sutherland & Mehta production of Turandot. One of my favourite operas. two thumbs up from me:

View attachment 26169

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This disc arrived today. I just had time to listen to "P&M"--sounds great. Very intense playing and excellent sound, perhaps the most detailed and vivid sound the piece has received. I'll listen to the Violin Concerto tomorrow.

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
Oh I love the Sutherland & Mehta production of Turandot. One of my favourite operas. two thumbs up from me:

View attachment 26169

The past 6 months or so, I've been really delving into opera. Wagner has always been a huge part of my listening, but I never really went beyond him. Now that I've started, I can't stop. I almost feel ashamed for having missed out on so much amazing music.

ChrisH

Aug 25, 2015
This disc arrived today. I just had time to listen to "P&M"--sounds great. Very intense playing and excellent sound, perhaps the most detailed and vivid sound the piece has received. I'll listen to the Violin Concerto tomorrow.

This disc is going on the wishlist. Markus Stenz and Gurzenich are a very good pairing. I've always found Oehms to have excellent sound, too.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
This disc is going on the wishlist. Markus Stenz and Gurzenich are a very good pairing. I've always found Oehms to have excellent sound, too.

I have never heard that violin concerto! Never in concert, on a recording, nor in 40 years of listening to our national classical music FM broadcaster!

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I've just finished listening to a wonderful boxed set I purchased from the Berlin Phil late last month - the 4 LP Schumann Symphony cycle:

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/simon-rattle-schumanns-symphonien.html

With the exotically packed set (I have to say, no other boxed vinyl set I own comes close in terms of luxury), I also got the full 24/192 downloads and a 7-day Digital Concert Hall subscription (I am saving that till Winter when I will have more free time). the only negative with the vinyl set is that the pressings seem to be that "softer" type of vinyl that suffers sleeve marks very easily. But the pressings sound wonderful - to my ears better than the 24/192 downloads (which are also superb) but admittedly, I do not own a top end DAC, in which case I would expect the 24/192 downloads to sound best. The vinyl was cut from the 24/192 masters and they obviously used a heck of a lot better DAC than I own because these are amongst the most realistic sounding recordings I have ever heard in my life. 9.5 out of 10 for sonics. The half point really only being because we all know it impossible to truly capture a real performance perfectly, despite all the technology we have.

I'd been looking for a Schumann set for years but could not find one that made both the sonics and performance grades that I wanted. Yes, the set was expensive but to my ears and taste, this is all I ever wanted from a Schumann Symphony cycle. Every player in that orchestra is of soloist calibre yet they play together so cohesively as one.

I strongly recommend this set. You don't have to fork out for vinyl if you want to purchase physical media. It is also available on hybrid SACD and redbook CD. You can purchase it in numerous qualities of download at prices commensurate with the quality thereof (though I sampled all of them and the 24/192 definitely sounds the best of the downloads. I expect the other versions would just be downsampled versions of that one).

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I have never heard that violin concerto! Never in concert, on a recording, nor in 40 years of listening to our national classical music FM broadcaster!

It's not exactly radio-friendly fare!

Here's an older recording--still holds up well:

Don't blame me if you walk around humming it for days...:)

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Thanks. I will give it a listen later tonight. Not sure about humming and Schoenberg in the same sentence! ;) I think if I walked down my local street humming the Schoenberg I'd probably get arrested! No seriously, I like his body of works (well, what I have heard) but for 20th century violin concertos it is hard to go past the Berg, Hindemith, Korngold and Rozsa concertos (just been listening to the latter on the latest RCA Living Stereo Heifetz reissue). I might have added the Shostakovich to the that list, but thanks to it being the concerto of choice by 1001 entrants in 1001 violin competitions, I think I have had a lifetime fill of it!!

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
OK. got to the end. I admit I struggled. I think the first acquaintance with a Schoenberg work is like eating an oyster. It either slips down real easy or comes right up...

That said, it wouldn't be the first time a piece of music needs to grow on me and in addition, I think Schoenberg in particular really needs to be experienced live in a concert hall - or at least a great system. I am actually now listening to Hilary Hahn playing it and it is much more my cup of tea. The work did not really strike me as "traditional" Schoenberg as I know it - especially his manner of writing for mass strings - until into the last half, but I think the Hahn performance I am listening to now is a better and thus more palatable interpretation. Just my opinion of course.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Hahn definitely humanizes it a bit. I have the one in the video, Hahn's, and obviously the new one. All 3 provide different levels of satisfaction.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Thanks. I will give it a listen later tonight. Not sure about humming and Schoenberg in the same sentence! ;) I think if I walked down my local street humming the Schoenberg I'd probably get arrested! No seriously, I like his body of works (well, what I have heard) but for 20th century violin concertos it is hard to go past the Berg, Hindemith, Korngold and Rozsa concertos (just been listening to the latter on the latest RCA Living Stereo Heifetz reissue). I might have added the Shostakovich to the that list, but thanks to it being the concerto of choice by 1001 entrants in 1001 violin competitions, I think I have had a lifetime fill of it!!

You omitted the Stravinsky violin concerto, in my book the premier violin concerto of the 20th century. Speakers Corner recently reissued the Isaac Stern version on Columbia MS 6331 with the composer conducting. My original 6-eye pales in comparison. The cover photo is awesome.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
You are right. Plus both Prokofievs (I actually like the much lesser played no. 1 more than no. 2 - one of my favourite all-time recordings is Shlomo Mintz playing no. 1).

As for the Speakers Corner reissue you mention, I have that on my wishlist (I currently have the Perlman Stravinsky on DG reissued by Speakers Corner some years ago). I was wanting to buy it with my last order, but had too many others on the wishlist and I was busting the upper levels of my music purchase budget. Plus they have the upcoming Bartok, which is yet another one I neglected to include!

I actually wrote to Speakers Corner a few years ago asking them if they would consider reissuing some Isaac Stern on Columbia as he is in my opinion one of the most wonderful players ever and his output has been completely neglected in the "audiophile vinyl" resurgence. I have been a huge fan of his playing ever since I watched the 1947 Humoresque movie for the first time (and no, not in 1947!!).

Kai Seeman recently wrote to me to tell me that more are to follow...

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
You are right. Plus both Prokofievs (I actually like the much lesser played no. 1 more than no. 2 - one of my favourite all-time recordings is Shlomo Mintz playing no. 1).

As for the Speakers Corner reissue you mention, I have that on my wishlist (I currently have the Perlman Stravinsky on DG reissued by Speakers Corner some years ago). I was wanting to buy it with my last order, but had too many others on the wishlist and I was busting the upper levels of my music purchase budget. Plus they have the upcoming Bartok, which is yet another one I neglected to include!

I actually wrote to Speakers Corner a few years ago asking them if they would consider reissuing some Isaac Stern on Columbia as he is in my opinion one of the most wonderful players ever and his output has been completely neglected in the "audiophile vinyl" resurgence. I have been a huge fan of his playing ever since I watched the 1947 Humoresque movie for the first time (and no, not in 1947!!).

Kai Seeman recently wrote to me to tell me that more are to follow...

I have been urging Kai to reissue some of the outstanding Stravinsky Columbia recordings and I was happy to finally see the Stern performance arrive. I was also very happy to see the Stern Bartok announced. That will be my next purchase.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Op.130/133 today. Magnificent in every respect.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I have been urging Kai to reissue some of the outstanding Stravinsky Columbia recordings and I was happy to finally see the Stern performance arrive. I was also very happy to see the Stern Bartok announced. That will be my next purchase.

I think the whole of the Columbia classical catalogue is under-rated and overly-neglected. I love these Columbia reissues that Speakers Corner are doing and it would be great if the catalogue became as comprehensive as their Decca one is. Do you have the Speakers Corner Beethoven Triple reissue? Wonderful performance and very present, intimate sound (as seems to be a characteristic of many Columbia recordings). The Mendelssohn piano concertos with Serkin is another Speakers Corner Columbia I got last year and love (though some don't care for the performance apparently). And the Romeo and Juliet release - I now prefer that to my previous favourite - the Mercury Living Presence one!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing