What are the Top Horn Speakers in the World Today? Vox Olympian vs Avantgarde Trio vs ???

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
Then what is the meaning of: "When we see a great distance behind the speakers, our brain pereceives it as depth and adds it. And it's also gone when you close your eyes"?
It means that part of the depth that we perceive can be an illusion of our mind. But it doesn't mean all is that. A speaker with very wide dispersion in the highs will also typically add more depth to the sound. A dipole might also because of its dispersion pattern. So it's all an illusion, it's a mixture.

When it comes to what our brain interprets by seeing a lot of distance and perceiving this as depth, one can easily test this by listening with eyes open vs closed. Many have done this and experienced what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I have both Classic Audio T3.4 and the T1.5 models. Both speakers can be corner-loaded without any overshadowing in the bass region, resulting in a spacious, room-filling soundstage. I wholeheartedly agree on this point; these speakers are exceptionally revealing in their sound reproduction. In some rooms they sound better corner loaded.

You would place these like any other WRT frequency response below say 300-400Hz. Like any other direct radiator speaker, the woofer, they have no directivity control in that region. So in reality it's all about room speaker compatibility. They could work just fine. I have larger speakers and they sound great a foot or so off the back wall.

Rob :)

Reactions: dcathro

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My experience at Marty's and Todd's makes me want to pull the Pendragons another 2 feet into the room. It's not a complicated formula: the further into the room the loudspeakers are, the greater the depth and realism of sound-staging I hear.
Maybe you could try the cardas speaker setup calculator for dipoles.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Just hooked up my Aries Cerat Aurora. Yes, they are in a corner against the wall in my family room. This is our main living area so that is where they have to go. In my case, I am missing absolutely nothing in SQ by having them there. I am happy and that is all that matters.
It’s a shame you have to hide all of the beautiful gear!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
You didn't get it wrong. It is a corner horn. Built to compete with the Klipshorn, Just because it has side panels doesn't change that. JBL stopped manufacturing them in 1964 because of the success of stereo. Most people could not accommodate a pair with two unused corners.

https://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1954-hartsfield.htm

He did get it wrong. The Hartsfield was designed to “fit” in the corner, but it doesn’t need the corner to compete the bass cabinet. And if you see the new KHorn, it also has a sealed back (not sides as you incorrectly stated) so you don’t need a corner.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You didn't get it wrong. It is a corner horn. Built to compete with the Klipshorn, Just because it has side panels doesn't change that. JBL stopped manufacturing them in 1964 because of the success of stereo. Most people could not accommodate a pair with two unused corners.

https://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1954-hartsfield.htm

I've heard the CAL Hartsfield many times. I've heard its bass shake the walls too, without being in a corner. John Wolff has done a lot to extend the bass of the original design. You'd have to talk to him about all the changes.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

How about Accaphela Apollon?

I took the video during Pacific Audiofest 2022.

They may need more room treatment but showed potential to be one of top horn speaker.

Threre is interesting review with awed face of wife looking at huge speaker. ;)

It is on sale with discounted price.

I try to refrain from adding one more speaker.:D

Reactions: MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014

How about Accaphela Apollon?

I took the video during Pacific Audiofest 2022.

They may need more room treatment but showed potential to be one of top horn speaker.

Threre is interesting review with awed face of wife looking at huge speaker. ;)

It is on sale with discounted price.

I try to refrain from adding one more speaker.:D
They look terrific...great price....go for it....you only live once.....-:)

Reactions: christoph

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
He did get it wrong. The Hartsfield was designed to “fit” in the corner, but it doesn’t need the corner to compete the bass cabinet. And if you see the new KHorn, it also has a sealed back (not sides as you incorrectly stated) so you don’t need a corner.

Do you understand how a corner horn works? The back isn't sealed. The original K used the rooms walls exclusively, the newer version is built similar the the Hart which always had side panels as part of the enclosure.

WRT it being a corner horn? Read the catalog!

Rob

Attachments

• page16-17.jpg
    page16-17.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I've heard the CAL Hartsfield many times. I've heard its bass shake the walls too, without being in a corner. John Wolff has done a lot to extend the bass of the original design. You'd have to talk to him about all the changes.

Hello

So have I in similar demoes. They are really nice! I don't know if he has changed the cabinets design? Maybe he has?

Was using K-145's with F/C magnets so different from the JBL 150C in the original also crossing them significantly higher @ 800Hz so I would suspect the latter version or a changed to shorten or alter the path length.

All I know is the original is a folded corner horn. There is just no debate there.

The reproductions?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Hello

So have I in similar demoes. They are really nice! I don't know if he has changed the cabinets design? Maybe he has?

Was using K-145's with F/C magnets so different from the JBL 150C in the original also crossing them significantly higher @ 800Hz so I would suspect the latter version or a changed to shorten or alter the path length.

All I know is the original is a folded corner horn. There is just no debate there.

The reproductions?

I don't know either- I never brought it up. Although they are really nice I prefer his T1 and T3s as they are slightly smoother and more transparent. The back of the cabinet is entirely smooth if that means anything. The most he's mentioned to me is that he's done a lot of work with the woofers themselves.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
It means that part of the depth that we perceive can be an illusion of our mind. But it doesn't mean all is that. A speaker with very wide dispersion in the highs will also typically add more depth to the sound. A dipole might also because of its dispersion pattern. So it's all an illusion, it's a mixture.

When it comes to what our brain interprets by seeing a lot of distance and perceiving this as depth, one can easily test this by listening with eyes open vs closed. Many have done this and experienced what I'm saying.
I would say this is even true for live music jazz club or symphony hall. Many times I close my eyes when listening to live music, the depth is gone.

Reactions: Bergm@nn and Bjorn

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Just hooked up my Aries Cerat Aurora. Yes, they are in a corner against the wall in my family room. This is our main living area so that is where they have to go. In my case, I am missing absolutely nothing in SQ by having them there. I am happy and that is all that matters.
@Willgolf

Stunning photos. Can't wait to hear more about your system on your thread.

I noticed in your signature you state you are using a Horizon, but looks like to me in the photo you have the Kassandra.

Reactions: morricab

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@Willgolf

Stunning photos. Can't wait to hear more about your system on your thread.

I noticed in your signature you state you are using a Horizon, but looks like to me in the photo you have the Kassandra.
Yes, the Kassandra replaces the Horizon.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing