What amp do Burmester 911 owners lust after?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Or is the the 911 the top of Mount Everest?

Some people who do not own Burmester would love to see a 911mk3 with 100kohm balanced input impedance. :)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I lust after the next factory upgrade for the 911 mk3!;)

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
I'd certainly like to hear the ARC REF 750s....

Always fun to test drive something else, even if it is only "different."

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I'd certainly like to hear the ARC REF 750s....

Always fun to test drive something else, even if it is only "different."

Talk about bringing some serious heat ;)

They do look beautiful.

Jeff,

Any solid state or class A recommendations? I'm looking for a sweeter sound with my CR-1's.

Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

They do look beautiful.

Jeff,

Any solid state or class A recommendations? I'm looking for a sweeter sound with my CR-1's.

Thanks!

Hi Joe,

I have not heard Pass...only read. Perhaps Vitus? or Gryphon?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012

They do look beautiful.

Jeff,

Thanks!

Joe,
Sounds like you need a change of speakers and not amps.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Just looking for something different. I love my Dartzeel 108 on my CR-1's.

Last night, I listened to the Clearaudio Statement, Burmester 808 and 909 monos driving the Grand Slamms and the sound was really grand (even though I like the big Genesis more). For a huge ballsy sound, you really need big drivers, no two ways about it.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Last night, I listened to the Clearaudio Statement, Burmester 808 and 909 monos driving the Grand Slamms and the sound was really grand (even though I like the big Genesis more). For a huge ballsy sound, you really need big drivers, no two ways about it.

what are the differences you note between the Slamms and the big Genesis? thanks for any insight. Good to hear those Slamms are still running well!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
what are the differences you note between the Slamms and the big Genesis? thanks for any insight. Good to hear those Slamms are still running well!

LLoyd,
The Slamms Series III are about 15 years old and they really plumb the depths in bass energy. Despite their size, they managed to disappear completely leaving behind a room filled with music. Imaging was pinpoint, transparency was great and overall coherence was excellent. Mono recordings were superb when played on the system.
The big Gs OTOH, are better overall in my view. The midrange of the Genesis ribbons is a tough act to follow even though the Slamms are great in this regard. The area where the Slamms excelled was the speed of the bass. This is one area where, in my opinion, the Slamms are at least the equal of the big Gs. In any case, this comparison is not a fair one as the Slamms Series III are a very old design. The big Gs should be compared with the Alexandrias which I haven't heard.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

To answer the original question ... Dream system would have the Burmester 909 in mono configuration

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
While I always dream of the FMAs (268+118s), my current 808+911s are satisfying enough.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing