Went and saw Mr. Steve Williams today. Had a blast!!!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have to say he is a gracious host, was treated very well. I got to meet his son and even Stanley Kubark! :)

As for the listening room all I can say is WOW! No stone left unturned, even the painting on the front wall is acoustic treatment.

I saw several ideas that I had in mind for my room when I get to putting it back together. One of them is having his library behind the acoustic treatment's. I have a lot of vinyl that I am proud of but don't really need the collection overpowering the room.

One idea I thought that was brilliant, is the carpet in the room has straight lines in the pattern and the carpet is perfectly laid so as to use the lines for system set up.

In the words of The Dude, "It really ties the room together".

The rewards of having the acoustician come on site and make recommendations was certainly worth the time and trouble. Something I will consider when the time comes.

One word "Quiet" but two different directions here. 1. One would think that the room would be acoustically dead and dry, I am here to tell you its not in any way shape or form, it is a very "musical" space. 2. Steve's system is dead quiet, not a peep out of it unless it was music, and the silence between the notes, Damn Gina!:D

Imaging was nothing short of stellar. I have heard other Wilson systems and while loving the over all sound was less than impressed with imaging. Non-issue here on anything I heard today, except Redbook Riders On The Storm, more on that in a minute. I swear Stevie Ray Vaughn was standing right there in front of me telling me all about the problems on Tin Pan Alley, Ella and Louis stopped by said something about we couldn't take something away from them as well as Terry Bozzio's ginormous drum kit was plunked down front and center. Mr Knopfler stopped by to assure us the man was still big and the man was still strong. "Your sister gave me diamonds, and I gave them to your wife" those lyrics are some of the most in your face words put to paper.

Every thing and everyone is in their place. My go to loud song is Steely Dan Aja and everything was right were it belonged and Mr. Gadds silky cymbals, oh my goodness! The sound of the wood in the sticks as they hit the cymbals, oh yes! I wont mention Hotel California....:p

Most importantly is the systems ability to play long and loud with no fatigue.

On to Riders On The Storm. We started with Redbook and while it sounded ok, Jim's voice with ridiculous amounts of reverb was front and center but seemed to be coming out of a little tiny opening in the middle of the soundstage. In fact all the other instruments were spread out but in their own tiny spaces.
Flick of a switch and press play on the Studer and the heavens opened up and the rain fell from the sky! Riders is one of my all time favorite songs and I have never heard it like this before, ever. I had to check and see if I was actually getting wet from the rain! :p

This is were we ended it for the day as Stanley Kubark needed some love and attention. Steve's son ( I apologize I forgot his name) and I share a strong liking for Quinton Tarantino so we had a good conversation there.

My take away from this is as follows:
1. Steve is a gracious host
2. The system is nothing short of totally engaging and the closest I have heard that actually had me looking for the musicians sitting in the room.
3. His son and Stanley Kubark are good people too.:D
4. I cant bring myself to even consider turning my system on for a month.

Thank you for inviting me into your home.

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Loud and fatigue free, hmmmm yummy, that is what we personally listen and set up.... great system Steve, we can imagine it by reading the post.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Mike for spending a wonderful few hours with me yesterday. I found it very reminiscent talking about music which we both knew and enjoyed and getting ourselves back to the 70's and 80's.

BTW, I cannot take the kudos for that Riders On The Storm demo as that honor goes to Mike Lavigne when the Tres Amigos visited the Pacific Northwest for a weekend. Mike finished our listening by playing that on tape and I was blown away. I knew I had the song at home on Redbook as well as 24/192 and DSD. When I got home I played my digital files and compared and as good as the digital files were they couldn't come close to the tape. I managed to get the tape and as Hi-FiGuy said yesterday, the wow factor was there.

My son came down unexpectedly yesterday otherwise I sense Mike and I would still be listening but we will save that for another day

IMG_3249.jpg

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Goodness I hate pictures of myself, always confirms the fact that my forehead is getting bigger. Reality is a bizznitch!

TBone, correct on all counts. He is almost a sub-woofer ;) when your hear his run across the floor!

I look forward to imposing myself upon the leather chair front and center at some time in the future! :D

When I describe/review a system I tend to do it from more of an emotional side than a tech side, so I apologize for not using the right buzz words.

I look for a few things and don't pick nits.

Was the system engaging on an emotional level, oh heck yes!

Did I open my eyes expecting to see musicians if front of me, without a doubt.

Is the bass deep, tight and controlled, incredibly. Reverse image Hotel California proved that, as that kick drum is out of control on a lot of systems. Dire Straits worked the sub frequencies out well, that song has always moved me on many levels, more so the other day.

Is the high end well defined with cymbals in their places with unblurred ;) lines, yes sir it is.

I guess the biggest surprise to me was how the system, to me, really brings out the bass guitar, not in a "Here I am listen to me and nobody else" kind of way, but more of an, "Oh there is a bass player, and he is right over there, and on this song he is using a pick and is getting along just fine with the drummer" kind of way.

I am admittedly a SS guy, but this kit makes a helluva argument for toobz, fastest most articulate, most dynamic tube system I have ever heard.

I have recently heard on a couple of occasions Magico Q7's with Jadis amps and while it sounded fantastic there was just something missing on the bottom end. What was most frustrating about that there was a pair of Chord SPM 14000MkII Reference amps sitting next to the Jadis static, grrrrrr.

The HVAC system is dead quiet and very necessary with a room full of space heaters. You just feel the cool air cascading down from the heavens. Brilliant design putting the intake above the amps.

Redbook never did much for me and does even less for me now, curse you Batman! :D

When I get up to Seattle this summer to visit family, there a couple systems I would like to hear, hint hint, and hope to land at Madrona on a day when Amir is Cooking, more hints! :):D;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am admittedly a SS guy, but this kit makes a helluva argument for toobz, fastest most articulate, most dynamic tube system I have ever heard.
That is because Steve is smart.... wait, did I just say that? :D Yes, he is smart in having a subwoofer so the tubes are not used in their weakest criteria which is pump out a lot of power. The subs of course are solid state.

When I get up to Seattle this summer to visit family, there a couple systems I would like to hear, hint hint, and hope to land at Madrona on a day when Amir is Cooking, more hints! :):D;)
Give me a month notice because I would have to clean the dishes and vacuum the floor. :D But yes, you have an open invitation.

Steve Williams

Mike is a very discerning listener Amir

I have listened to my K2HD version of Hotel California more times than I would ever want to admit it was not until Mike listened to Hotel California and pointed out to me that Joe Walsh was on the left side of the stage rather than the right side where he is normally. Checked all my cabling and everything looked god. Mike confirmed that there were no cabling mistakes after he put on his copy of Aja by Steely Dan which he uses for issues like this. I must admit that it is always fun to take note of what others hear de novo that you haven't ever heard. Also Mike travels with a huge library of very eclectic music. As I said before we were hanging out in the 70's and 80's

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thanks for sharing the story. I enjoy reading of other members sharing their love of listening to music with others. I always find new sources of music to buy when reading these posts. I guess it's time to visit Mr Williams? I'll bring a notebook to write down sources. ;)

Steve Williams

Thanks for sharing the story. I enjoy reading of other members sharing their love of listening to music with others. I always find new sources of music to buy when reading these posts. I guess it's time to visit Mr Williams? I'll bring a notebook to write down sources. ;)

Vern

You keep promising. You're long overdue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing