Weightlifting Equipment

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
For those members who engage in weight training, I thought I'd put up a picture of my home gym's weightlifting platform/rack. Made by Nebula Fitness, a commercial manufacturer, it weighs 1600 lbs. and has an enormous selection of features and attachments. The first picture is an overall view of the rack system. Picture #2 is the rotating, width-adjustable pullup handles on the top crossbar of the rack. Picture #3 is the dip attachment that mounts into the channels on the uprights. Picture #4 is the knee raise/crunch attachment that also mounts onto the uprights. All attachments are removable to use the platform for "open space" or Olympic lifts.

This rack design allows you to perform virtually any lift with a high degree of safety. The bench is designed for use with this rack, and attaches to the rack for solidity. The bench is adjustable for incline and fore/aft position in relation to the safety bars. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the system, and will get around to posting some photos of other equipment in my gym soon.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_0163..jpg
    DSC_0163..jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_0164..jpg
    DSC_0164..jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC_0166..jpg
    DSC_0166..jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_0167..jpg
    DSC_0167..jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 429

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Glute/Ham Machine

This is the Nebula Fitness Glute/Ham Machine. It allows for 180 degrees of motion for flexion of the posterior chain, just as if you were sprinting with maximal range of motion. To use the machine, you lie over the hip pads with your feet secured between the sets of foot pads. Starting with your head hanging to the floor, you first straighten at the hips and continue the motion by flexing your hamstrings to bring your torso upright for a full 180 degrees of travel. The machine has an attachment point for elastic bands to provide resistance to the motion, if you require something a bit more difficult! You can also hold weight plates or medicine balls as you perform the motion.

For those of you old enough, you may remember the Russian Olympic sprinter Valery Borzov. He won the gold medal, competing against taller African-American runners, even though he was not originally the favorite. He credited his using this machine (an earlier Russian variant of it), and holding 70 lbs. (!!) while he did the movement, for his success.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_0161..jpg
    DSC_0161..jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 808

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Gravitron

The Gravitron is a machine that allows you to perform assisted pullups and dips. It has a selectable weight stack that provides various amounts of compensation for your bodyweight, allowing you to work with any percentage of your weight you wish.

In a move I still hear about, I bought this for my wife for her birthday several years ago. Although she loves using it, I probably should have got it on some random day and done something a bit cuter on the birthday!

To use it, you kneel on the large black "tray" and use either the upper or lower handles to move through the range of motion. There are several different grip options for pullups. If you've always wanted to be able to do pullups, this is the ticket to the real thing.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_0160..jpg
    DSC_0160..jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 435

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Kettlebells

Here's my collection of kettlebells, with pairs from 13 lbs. to 70 lbs. apiece. The kettlebell has enjoyed a revival of use recently, thanks mainly to Pavel Tsatsouline.

The kettlebell is notable for its large, thick handle that is offset from the center of the weight. In this manner, you are not gripping the center of mass as you would with a dumbbell. The kettlebell therefore demands grip and wrist control while in use, increasing the work performed as opposed to the same weight dumbbell. They're a good change of pace from standard weights, and can offer a devastating workout if you're willing.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_0159..jpg
    DSC_0159..jpg
    143 KB · Views: 556

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's my collection of kettlebells, with pairs from 13 lbs. to 70 lbs. apiece. The kettlebell has enjoyed a revival of use recently, thanks mainly to Pavel Tsatsouline.

The kettlebell is notable for its large, thick handle that is offset from the center of the weight. In this manner, you are not gripping the center of mass as you would with a dumbbell. The kettlebell therefore demands grip and wrist control while in use, increasing the work performed as opposed to the same weight dumbbell. They're a good change of pace from standard weights, and can offer a devastating workout if you're willing.

Lee

Screw all those machines, TV informercials and musclehead mags like Muscle and Fiction :) Riddle me this: if you sit all day, why would you want to go to the gym and sit more? :) Get you primitive and higher order movement patterns down and then increase your performance and skill levels. As Gray Cook says in his new book "Movement", "There is an underlying assumption that general activity, exercises and athletic endeavors will improve movement. Although the exercise or sport task might create a conditioning effect on the body's energy systems, the initial movement compensations are reinforced, rather than reduced or removed. In this situation, it is possible to add generalized or specific fitness to basic movement dysfunction." In short this leads eventually the body breaking down thru inefficiency, lack of stability, alignment and mobility :(

Give some KBs (that among their attributes include exercises such as Turkish getups that specifically train the shoulder girdle complex for stability), an OLifting platform and rack, some chains and bands, a bar, DBs, a sled and we're talking how to train :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Bands and Dumbbells

Myles,

Here's a mundane shot of our standard dumbbell collection. Also shown is my wife's pair of Indian Clubs, which she uses to help rehab her shoulder after last year's surgery.

The Nebula Super Half Rack also has band attachment points for use in squatting or benching, etc. The second picture shows how the band devices attach to the side rails of the platform. I have a few different strengths of Elite Fitness's bands for use with this.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_0170..jpg
    DSC_0170..jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC_0169..jpg
    DSC_0169..jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 460

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

Here's a mundane shot of our standard dumbbell collection. Also shown is my wife's pair of Indian Clubs, which she uses to help rehab her shoulder after last year's surgery.

The Nebula Super Half Rack also has band attachment points for use in squatting or benching, etc. The second picture shows how the band devices attach to the side rails of the platform. I have a few different strengths of Elite Fitness's bands for use with this.

Lee

You the man Lee! Tried the Indian Clubs years ago at NSCA and almost killed myself :)

How heavy you go on the KBs? Are those some York Bumper plates hanging out on the side of the rack too?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Myles,

I use the 70# KBs for sets of 10 with clean&press or snatches, and need the 80's for the next step. Close to $200 for a pair, so waiting a bit.

Those are RB rubber bumper plates on the rack's tree. The Yorks, or the Eleikos (that's an Eleiko bar on the rack) cost huge $$$ and I can't justify that cost right now. I have 3 pairs of 45's, a pair of 25's, and a pair of 10's (10's are from Bigger, Faster, Stronger) of the bumpers currently. Also have huge selection of Olympic steel plates, some being used on my heavy bag trolley. (I'll post pictures of that stuff in a separate thread.)

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

I use the 70# KBs for sets of 10 with clean&press or snatches, and need the 80's for the next step. Close to $200 for a pair, so waiting a bit.

Those are RB rubber bumper plates on the rack's tree. The Yorks, or the Eleikos (that's an Eleiko bar on the rack) cost huge $$$ and I can't justify that cost right now. I have 3 pairs of 45's, a pair of 25's, and a pair of 10's (10's are from Bigger, Faster, Stronger) of the bumpers currently. Also have huge selection of Olympic steel plates, some being used on my heavy bag trolley. (I'll post pictures of that stuff in a separate thread.)

Lee

Know that well. Have two of my own OLifting training bars, one an inexpensive got years ago that was around $500 and an Eleiko training bar later that got from Bud as a "used" bar at NSCA for around $800 with shipping. But I can leave the Eleiko bar in my will to my heirs :)

I always end up buying my own stuff since the gym doesn't want to buy this stuff ergo my own bumpers, thick bars, sleds, weight releasers, bands, chains, etc :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I lift THIS every now and then, 5 repetitions per week .. :)
Sorry but funds went back to zero paying this and could not afford something else for exercising

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Yeah, I know how that goes! My dealer was astounded when I carried my Krell EVO amp by myself and put it back in that alcove (See my "Member's Gallery thread). That's it.... we train so we can move our own speakers and amps.... yeah...

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I lift THIS every now and then, 5 repetitions per week .. :)
Sorry but funds went back to zero paying this and could not afford something else for exercising

LOL....we could send some Krell amps your way when lifting the Vivas becomes too easy ;) BTW, nice amps if you can match them to the right speaker. Apparently, you found one with the small SF! Remember hearing the amps years ago when Victor Goldstein was the US importer and were very sweet sounding. And they're real lookers too.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Couple of years ago :)

cj 90k..jpg

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
More power to ya Miles. My sister works out at the gym I think you train at -- I'll see if you're around next time I'm there.

I'm a big fan of kettlebells too. Started w/them and a trainer who changed my workouts into something along the lines discussed here about a year and a half ago, and along with being much stronger, my chronic upper back/neck issues are virtually non-existent now.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Myles,

Here's a mundane shot of our standard dumbbell collection.

Now that looks familiar. Several years ago, in my last "get in shape" push, I lost 40 lbs with a Nordic Track, an incline bench, a copy of "Body For Life," and dumbell sets from 5 to 55 lbs. I like it simple.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing