"We occupy a very tiny place in the Heavens !"

Amazing - and humbling. Like most everyone else, I suppose, I think of "our" galaxy as near-infinitely vast. That it's only one of many billions is a staggering concept, which this video shows well.

Reminds me of the incredible opening scene from Contact.

VERY Random Thoughts:

For those who believe in the God of the Bible as the Creator of the Universe, that must have been quite a time when Genesis 1:1 happened.

I must confess that watching this really pinpointed for me how insignificant we are on the one hand but, on the other, how amazing (and complex) the human race is and how precious our life and time on this planet are. Most of us (me included) just take much of it for granted and waste so much of our time on the unimportant.

It even caused me to think about how we use our time on this nutty hobby. Check out ANY audio website, WBF included, and what 99% of the posts are about are NOT related to music but cables, and equipment and mathematics and acoustics and speaker placement and tubes and distortion and digital versus analog and ....... While certainly addressing those topics should get us more enjoyment out of our listening time, I think for many (not all) we may have confused the trip with the destination. And in fact, for some, the trip may be the destination. Many times, I enjoy listening to music more in my car than I do in my listening room because I'm not obsessing about some aspect of the sound.

Oh well. I think I'll go and hang some more bass panels in my theater!!!

I must confess that watching this really pinpointed for me how insignificant we are

Not sure if you remember Carl Sagan's Cosmos back in the 80's which was an amzing series and reiterated how small we are in the great scheme of things

Gee, out there in the vast darkling heavens, there must be somebody who knows all the baseball statistics!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing