Way too much snow so I gotta stay in for a while!

Simonml

Jan 24, 2014
Greetings from Canada!!

Cool forum. I found it looking at a thread about Micro Seiki, the SZ1 and the techdas air force one.
I just got into reel to reel and saw that there is lots of material to read about that too.

I am a long time hobbiest. Started with Proton, NAD and Mirage.

Escalated to tubes, then hi efficiency horns and single ended.

Never left the turntable...in all truth i couldn't...i was too young making a scary min wage of 4.35 an hour and cds were 20.00 a pop...economics state i needed to keep my vinyl and i am glad i did!

...and now...reel to reel...i think i am going back in time! Haven't really reached the digital age yet.

Enjoy the music!
Cheers,

Simon

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Greetings from Canada!!

Cool forum. I found it looking at a thread about Micro Seiki, the SZ1 and the techdas air force one.
I just got into reel to reel and saw that there is lots of material to read about that too.

Never left the turntable...in all truth i couldn't...i was too young making a scary min wage of 4.35 an hour and cds were 20.00 a pop...economics state i needed to keep my vinyl and i am glad i did!

...and now...reel to reel...i think i am going back in time! Haven't really reached the digital age yet.

Enjoy the music!
Cheers,

Simon

Welcome Simon! What you using for reel-to-reel?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the WBF, Simonml. Nothing wrong with going back in time. :)

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Simon! Glad to have another Canuck join us! Like you, the next step in my journey is R2R as well. Have been looking around and made offers, but so far a nice machine has eluded me. I'm not in the league of Studer A80-A810-A820, although I never say never. Also pleased to read you hung on to your vinyl. I know I'm sure glad I did when the digital age arrived. I like digital just fine, but when I listen to vinyl I'm in my element! I just love it. The guys here have been great and of tremendous help and I can say that my collection (because of their recommendations) has grown nicely.

In case you're wondering, my passion is Progressive Rock, 60's & 70's rock, female singers and live albums. I'm learning about Jazz and Classical from the boys and I hope to grow that part of my repertoire over time.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Simon
May I ask where you locate ? if you interest in classical chamber music and R2R Ed pong in Ajax, in there with live concert and master recording, for diy of R2R or tube amp I am in Whitby, also group of tube amp guys in Metro area most of them are Chinese welcome to the forum
tony ma

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Always glad to hear from a fellow tape enthusiast. The experience and expertise on this forum for all things audio will amaze you.

Welcome,

Bruce

Simonml

Jan 24, 2014
Hi Simon
May I ask where you locate ? if you interest in classical chamber music and R2R Ed pong in Ajax, in there with live concert and master recording, for diy of R2R or tube amp I am in Whitby, also group of tube amp guys in Metro area most of them are Chinese welcome to the forum
tony ma

I am in Calgary I listen to all types of music including classical.

I love the sound of music on reel and any of the 15ips recordings are excellent!

If you are interested in trading reels, let me know.

Simon

Simonml

Jan 24, 2014
Welcome Simon! Glad to have another Canuck join us! Like you, the next step in my journey is R2R as well. Have been looking around and made offers, but so far a nice machine has eluded me. I'm not in the league of Studer A80-A810-A820, although I never say never. Also pleased to read you hung on to your vinyl. I know I'm sure glad I did when the digital age arrived. I like digital just fine, but when I listen to vinyl I'm in my element! I just love it. The guys here have been great and of tremendous help and I can say that my collection (because of their recommendations) has grown nicely.

In case you're wondering, my passion is Progressive Rock, 60's & 70's rock, female singers and live albums. I'm learning about Jazz and Classical from the boys and I hope to grow that part of my repertoire over time.

I love all of it but classical is a beast to learn. There is so much out there. I got early into blues and jazz was the natural progression.

I love the early stuff though. Early Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker and the like

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I am in Calgary I listen to all types of music including classical.

I love the sound of music on reel and any of the 15ips recordings are excellent!

If you are interested in trading reels, let me know.

Simon

Please visit ultraanaloguerecordings.com, and listen track samples to see what will you like
regard
tony ma

Particapant

Apr 17, 2014
Greetings from Canada!!

Enjoy the music!
Cheers,

Simon

Welcome!

And yes worst winter in many years... go reason to stay in...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing