Wave Field Synthesis

Raffles

Aug 12, 2012
UK
roblem. I don't see the engineering difficulties being overcome. Trying to "fudge it" with too few available signals and too slow a response would probably be awful. Depending on how it was implimented, there's also be a maximum range of head turning before the system reaches its limit. At that point the system would break down so you'd have to keep your head within a specific range of angular position.

I don't see it that way. I'd be expecting a full 3D position and orientation measurement so you could get up and walk around if you wanted to.

Thinking about this, it probably exists already in the world of video games. I know that they have worked on synthesising the sound you would hear as you walk around in a virtual world, from first principles. I remember seeing a Youtube demo of someone walking around in a building and hearing the sound change as they walked around a corner or into a narrow tunnel. Headphones were recommended. Presumably you'd just have to bolt your position sensor gear to the video game to get a working demo. Someone must have done it already you'd think.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing