Warmer Audio Research preamps

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Are the 6922 variants of earlier Audio Research products warmer than the later units with 6h30s? Audio Research has always sounded a bit solid statish in nature and i'm wondering if the older versions (Ref2 MK1, LS25 MK1, etc) would sound better in my system.

Thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are the 6922 variants of earlier Audio Research products warmer than the later units with 6h30s? Audio Research has always sounded a bit solid statish in nature and i'm wondering if the older versions (Ref2 MK1, LS25 MK1, etc) would sound better in my system.

Thanks!

As far as I remember, one of the "warmish" Audio Research preamplifiers was the LS5 mk2 and later the Ref2. Some people even considered them to be too "full-bodied".

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

Thanks!

Hi Keith,

Maybe you have to consider their preamps that uses the 12ax7's (SP 3, SP 6B, SP 8's) They were warmer but of course euphonic to some ears compared to the later day preamps that uses the 6DJ8,6922's and 6H30's.

tdh888

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Keith,

I agree with tdh888. I have lived with the SP3, SP6, SP8, SP14, and LS10. The SP3 is the one that I have kept. This preamp has mated well with every power amp that I have used and although some may say it is euphonic, to me it has this magical quality of never experiencing any listening fatigue.

Sam

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I should add I have owned an SP8 and an SP10 and really enjoyed them. They really sounded great with vinyl, but as at a later time I was disappointed with their performance with CDs, I still hesitate to recommend them. I never heard the SP3 that Sam loves so much.

BTW, I do not associate the good sound or sound type with any type of tube - the SP10 used 6922 and for me was much better sounding than the SP8. IMHO circuit topology, component quality and power supply are more important than tube type. Conrad Johnson ART preamplifier used the 6922 and the sound was also better than their units using the 12AX7 or 12AU7.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
thanks guys. i'm not terribly interested in going 80s vintage---though have always thought about an SP10. really thinking early 90s/00s vintage. that seems to be a great price/value perspective on the used market as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing