want to get into vinyl at a high level, but not break the bank? buy this tt & arm and be done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
lol.

I already have 3 budget TTs and quite a few budget carts. 3 Denons, one VAS modded. One used Benz ACE-HO, Used Soundsmith Otello, Tonar Diabolic incoming with aftermarket wood body and a basic AT95e with optional nude ellip stylus.

Lenco L78 modded with heavy wood plinth, switched to 120v setting to reduce electrical noise (Serge hooked me up there), and used Jelco 750d arm. Also Rowen mat made from some kind of neoprene material...also Kuzma mat.

Wilson Benesch full circle (stock) which eill get either VAS modded Denon dl103 or Benz ACE.

Lastly a vintage Harman Kardon ST-8 Linear trackeing TT with Roksan Corus Blue cart and bituminous sound damping sheets on the inside of the Alum chassis.

Will do shootout for a few months and decide which 1 or 2 to keep.

Ask Anamighty sound for their modded Denon. They are stunning carts

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regarding the SME s having a not so free bearing and a free bearing , sounds like hog wash to me , all sme s are manufactured according to tight tolerances as already mentioned , anyone who can hear 5 micron diference or so ??? ahh audiophilia :rolleyes:

I would buy a used Continuum criterion if i would step in the turntables again , beautifull design
All those expensive turntables are manufactured to very high standards tolerances , good stuff mostly .
I think cart / arm/set up / phonostage matter much more in overall sound quality .
And dedication of the user.

What i also thought sounded pretty good was a TW acoustic and docter feickert

Last edited:

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have had 31 years of experience with these turntables, they can sound very good or they can sound just ok. The nature of the beast means high tolerances I found decks with over specified main bearing can sound rather dull and lifeless and a turntable with a free spinning bearing would sound amazingly open there are many other aspects to consider. All saying the right sample can sound glorious.

I recently set up the turntable built for Alistair Robertson aikman it was very open and natural he had always told me how it was never easy to make two identical turntables especially when dealing with fine tolerances, I have the original prototype in my collection which is quite a turntable in its own right every part is matched to that specific turntable so noting can be used on any other specimen. This is a very interesting turntable its has so much freedom and air and is certainly not dull and boring.
Any pictures of this SME prototype.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Its in storage at present will haul it out sometime soon.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Regarding the SME s having a not so free bearing and a free bearing , sounds like hog wash to me , all sme s are manufactured according to tight tolerances as already mentioned , anyone who can hear 5 micron diference or so ??? ahh audiophilia :rolleyes:

I would buy a used Continuum criterion if i would step in the turntables again , beautifull design
All those expensive turntables are manufactured to very high standards tolerances , good stuff mostly .
I think cart / arm/set up / phonostage matter much more in overall sound quality .
And dedication of the user.

What i also thought sounded pretty good was a TW acoustic and docter feickert

And how many sme turntables have you heard side by side. Sme themselves admit many early decks were made with overtight bearings and in cold parts of the uk in the winter would even cease. Hence they changed the specification.

This I speak after having had hundreds of these turntables through my hands. And having supported the product for over 30 years.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve owned a SME 20/3A for about 3-4 years and heard a couple of others .
It doesnt matter to me if you have heard a 1000 , i m looking at it from a tech enginering standpoint which is my profession.
If any mech issue would be audible its not designed good in the first place.
I find it highly questionable thats all , its my opinion nothing more

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Tonar Diabolic incoming with aftermarket wood body....
I've been meaning to try a Diabolic for my party setup. Who makes the wood body?

( i got tired of my friends not having a soundsystem of any type for the average party so i hauled my sl1200 out of storage, added a vintage Sansui integrated and speakers...hey better than a phone in a bowl ;) )

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I've been meaning to try a Diabolic for my party setup. Who makes the wood body?

( i got tired of my friends not having a soundsystem of any type for the average party so i hauled my sl1200 out of storage, added a vintage Sansui integrated and speakers...hey better than a phone in a bowl ;) )
in Switzerland its a phone in a hollowed out piece of wood as a natural speaker. lol Dual Alphorn!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Thanks!

I knew about the 'nude' Schick version but not the diy ebay body...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing