want to get into vinyl at a high level, but not break the bank? buy this tt & arm and be done.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
3 year old SME 30 with SME V arm, appears to be in top condition. on consignment at Ohio HIfI dealer for $16,950. offer them $15k plus shipping. just buy it for their counter. and don't look back.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649546778-sme-302-turntable-with-sme-5-tonearm/

alternative next step up; SME 30/12---$47,900.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...012_-_includes_Series_V-12_tonearm-Turntables

was just surfing and saw this, don't know the dealer or the seller or have anything to do with this. but it's a no-brainer for a slam dunk first step into high level vinyl.

Reactions: audioline

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Snap Mike!
A great buy.
Happily I am still enjoying my 20/3, SME V and Miks Etsuro Cobalt. Had a a couple of hours with Ryan Adams Live at Carnegie Hall followd by Vivaldi in Venice with Interpreti Veneziani Both great recordings

Last edited:

108CY

May 4, 2013
I have had 31 years of experience with these turntables, they can sound very good or they can sound just ok. The nature of the beast means high tolerances I found decks with over specified main bearing can sound rather dull and lifeless and a turntable with a free spinning bearing would sound amazingly open there are many other aspects to consider. All saying the right sample can sound glorious.

I recently set up the turntable built for Alistair Robertson aikman it was very open and natural he had always told me how it was never easy to make two identical turntables especially when dealing with fine tolerances, I have the original prototype in my collection which is quite a turntable in its own right every part is matched to that specific turntable so noting can be used on any other specimen. This is a very interesting turntable its has so much freedom and air and is certainly not dull and boring.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I heard the Aikman turntable recently at Miks and I can testify to how good it sounded. The music had a real organic flow and it was the sort of turntable you could listen to for hours with no fatigue whatsoever.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Everything is relative. Mike and I are definitely banking at different institutions. God bless him.

Reactions: wisnon

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have had 31 years of experience with these turntables, they can sound very good or they can sound just ok. The nature of the beast means high tolerances I found decks with over specified main bearing can sound rather dull and lifeless and a turntable with a free spinning bearing would sound amazingly open there are many other aspects to consider. All saying the right sample can sound glorious.

I recently set up the turntable built for Alistair Robertson aikman it was very open and natural he had always told me how it was never easy to make two identical turntables especially when dealing with fine tolerances, I have the original prototype in my collection which is quite a turntable in its own right every part is matched to that specific turntable so noting can be used on any other specimen. This is a very interesting turntable its has so much freedom and air and is certainly not dull and boring.
Basically what you're saying in this post is that they have shoddy production! There's nothing even remotely complex about SME turntables nor are they made to any unusual tolerances to create production issues, specially given that SME is a high precision manufacturing company.

david

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think if i go TT I'll just DIY like most of my system, it's trivially easy to build stuff better than average and not that difficult to build stuff that competes with the best for a small fraction of the price given some effort. Prices on TTs definitely make them an interesting item to market, these things are very simple yet go for the price of an economy car even when several years old, lol. Prices for TT related items are even more obscene than cables, imo. Not surprising given the owner of Siltech also owns SME, lol.

Reactions: analogsa

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
3 year old SME 30 with SME V arm, appears to be in top condition. on consignment at Ohio HIfI dealer for $16,950. offer them $15k plus shipping. just buy it for their counter. and don't look back.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649546778-sme-302-turntable-with-sme-5-tonearm/

alternative next step up; SME 30/12---$47,900.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...012_-_includes_Series_V-12_tonearm-Turntables

was just surfing and saw this, don't know the dealer or the seller or have anything to do with this. but it's a no-brainer for a slam dunk first step into high level vinyl.

In my opinion, at least as far as the stock commercial SMEs go, a STST Motus II is better, retail is 7k euro, and the brinkmann balance with its arm comes used at same price as that SME is far superior. And no, I am not talking about some custom unique set ups Mik might be doing with the SME.

108CY

May 4, 2013
My thoughts are that there maybe be many products out there with high possibility of sample variation, but unless you are in position to try numerous samples of the same it is impossible to know.

Reactions: Petrat

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Sample variations and widget failures are a characteristic of every manufactured product. How you could meaningfully correlate that with variations in sound quality, outside of speculation, given all the other manifest variables, I don't know.

SME has never been vocal one way or the other, and doesn't mount much in the way of reviews, publicity or self defense to the inevitable choruses of commentary. They just keep manufacturing quality product that keeps getting sold, so the publicity machines seem unnecessary.

I like mine because it is a high expression of a purely mechanical turntable. Once set, I can spend more time listening and less time fussing and futzing. There are plenty of turntable for the inveterate fussaholics, tweakers and complexity gurus.

Reactions: tima and 108CY

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
In my opinion, at least as far as the stock commercial SMEs go, a STST Motus II is better, retail is 7k euro, and the brinkmann balance with its arm comes used at same price as that SME is far superior. And no, I am not talking about some custom unique set ups Mik might be doing with the SME.
Ked, as you are in the UK, have you managed to listen to a Wilson Benesch Circle 25 TT with a Nanotube-One Carbon arm?

https://www.audio-visual-factory.ch/index.php/wilson_benesch-circle-25-avec-bras-nanotube-2444.html (approx $7K retail)
http://wilson-benesch.com/nanotube-one-tonearm/

Would appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi no, Haven't heard. What table and cart are you interested for though?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Full WB setup. I hear they mate well with Koetsu.

For koetsu just stick to fr64s with arche headshell. Or FR 66s if one has the money.

And why koetsu?

Reactions: gian60

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Dunno, its what I heard. I am more digital literate than vinyl. LoL

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dunno, its what I heard. I am more digital literate than vinyl. LoL

Then wait to hear more. Otherwise you will lose too much money. If you want to set something up asap just get a good restored TD 124 or Garrard depending on your choice. Get an fr64s and SME 3012r and roll carts you can borrow from friends. You can put them on headshells and once set up easily swap with these arms from headshell to headshell like you do valves with the Lampi. For SPU, koetsu, EMT cart and Lyra use the FR, for zyx, airtight, Allaerts, or vdh use the SME. Then when you know your preferences and stuff 5 years later spend more if you feel like it. In fact even start with Art 9

You can easily sell off those tables and arms too

Visit Hanze hifi in Holland to hear the difference between Garrard and 124.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
lol.

I already have 3 budget TTs and quite a few budget carts. 3 Denons, one VAS modded. One used Benz ACE-HO, Used Soundsmith Otello, Tonar Diabolic incoming with aftermarket wood body and a basic AT95e with optional nude ellip stylus.

Lenco L78 modded with heavy wood plinth, switched to 120v setting to reduce electrical noise (Serge hooked me up there), and used Jelco 750d arm. Also Rowen mat made from some kind of neoprene material...also Kuzma mat.

Wilson Benesch full circle (stock) which eill get either VAS modded Denon dl103 or Benz ACE.

Lastly a vintage Harman Kardon ST-8 Linear trackeing TT with Roksan Corus Blue cart and bituminous sound damping sheets on the inside of the Alum chassis.

Will do shootout for a few months and decide which 1 or 2 to keep.

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Heard Garrard at Tobian Systems showroom and modded TD124 in Bern a few weeks back. Heard TD125 at chez Al and also SoTA with Eminent Tech Tangential Tonearm there too.

Pity TTs were not on my radar in 2013 when I heard the LumenWhite Mystere for 30 mins or so in Zurich. Driven by Ayon amps and LW Artisan or Silverlight speakers. Sounded great from what I recall. Technically amazing TT, based on the all out Sota tech involved.

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Linn LP12 well set up are great too. I think Clearaudio entry level Concept is highly tweakable...love what Rowen has done with it.

Of the expensive TTs, I only recall listening to Russ's Triangle, Herve's vintage EMT, a couple Oracles, Michaels Brinkmann and a few at shows.

Cant recall listening to SME TTs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Herve's vintage EMT is not a 927 it is a 930

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing