WAF, tell us about yours.

WAF acceptance scale

• Total voters

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Now for something a little "lighter" than the Obama/Romney poll thread.:D

For us married guys, ( or for those with significant others), how does your 'better' half feel about your system? Does he/she listen much to it or is he/she just TOTALLY disinterested, like my wife.
( who not only doesn't like my system, but doesn't like the music I listen to either:(). So on the WAF acceptance scale; wherein 1 is no WAF and 2 is he/she listens along, my hobby is a 1 with her ( or less maybe:( )...what's your WAF acceptance scale?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well my wife is a saint; truly the best person I know.

She is very supportive and at times more willing to spend money on gear than I am. :).

She is more into video/TV; but will occasionally join me in the dedicated music room. I return the favor by watching some of her shows; even when I'd rather be listening.

We do attend a lot of live performances. (She even endured the Cat Power concert last weekend!).

More than anything, I think she is more perplexed by the endless stream of LP mailers arriving at our door.

I am blessed.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
My wife can hear a pin drop at high noon in the midst of a sand storm and all I can say is "huh" :)

My wife's the same way. Only she also has "selected" hearing....for some unknown reason on occasions she's as deaf as a "door nail". ( strange saying that, anybody know where that came from?)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Not having a listening room (but keeping my system in the living room) I almost always listen to music with my wife. She does like listening to music and going to live concerts.
She doesn't like the look of most of the audio components though, so, when we "play" in dreaming about our future "impossible" house, I'll have a listening room :) Notwithstanding, the room won't have a listening chair, but a listening sofa...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My wife helps me move equipment, runs equipment at the shows I exhibit in, mingles with clients and even makes good suggestions on what would make the rooms better. Can't ask for anything more. I'm spoiled!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I need a wife (or do I?).

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Mine doesn't give a rat's ass about my sound rooms, but likes the home theater, or has gotten used to it.

She can't turn anything on (Ha Ha Ha!) because it is too complicated, and only comes in to listen if her Pavlov's dog, country and western, love song reflex happens to get triggered. Sometimes when I am in a mood for punishment I might play Cat Stevens or John Denver, and she might amble in.

Otherwise, she doesn't care for my music and only occasionally releases me for audiophile activities, like letting a demented cat outside to frolic.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Mine doesn't give a rat's ass about my sound rooms, but likes the home theater, or has gotten used to it.

Otherwise, she doesn't care for my music and only occasionally releases me for audiophile activities, like letting a demented cat outside to frolic.

Thank-you... my chuckle for the day!!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Mine likes music, likes to spend some time with me when I am listening, likes to show-up sometimes with a bottle of wine, and almost never asks how much I paid for any given "suspicious" piece of gear. I do the same when it comes to her hobbies.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My wife is in general blissfuly ignorant about my outlay in electronics. However, when 6 massive crates with the MM3 appeared in the basement out of nowhere, suspicion arose and we ended up getting a new minivan as an offset.

She does not care about sound quality, and uses the theater / music room only to watch american idol and 6 movies a year. Her main concern is my late night listening volume levels (she goes to bed at 11 - I do my listening between 11 and 1).

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My wife doesn't step into the 2- channel room more than twice a year and that is usually to wonder why I didn't hear her calling. If she ever did indicate that she would like to listen I guess I would have to drag a second chair into the room.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
In my case, WTF is more appropriate :D That is Wife Tolerance Factor, which is apparently high, and clearly there is little to no "Acceptance"

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
My wife helps me move equipment, runs equipment at the shows I exhibit in, mingles with clients and even makes good suggestions on what would make the rooms better. Can't ask for anything more. I'm spoiled!!
+1 Bruce, seems we have it made in the shade!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat with regards to the wives. My wife could care less about by system. Thankfully I have a separate room in my house for my stereo system that is acoustically isolated from the main house. I can listen as loud as I want to when my wife is in bed at night and she can’t hear a thing. You just can’t put a price on that. Also, my room is my room and there is no such thing as WAF. WAF is out the window and it’s only MAF (Mark Acceptance Factor). I have posted pictures of my room and videos of my system playing so you guys know I have nothing to hide.

By the way, I have met Fernando’s wife twice at RMAF and I’m here to testify he is a lucky man. I also met Steve’s wife for the first time this year and likewise, Steve is a lucky man too. I drove Rich Teer and his wife to the WBF dinner this year and Rich’s wife is a real card. And lastly, Bruce, you are a lucky man as well. Your wife is a real trooper who obviously loves you and you can’t ask for more than that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing