Visit to Chris to See Magico M9 and VYGER and Pilium in Southlake, Texas

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Please subscribe to the WBF YouTube channel!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks to Chris Hesse for letting me visit! Due to a time constraint I was able to spend only about 15 minutes relaxed and enjoying the music.

Chris' facility is an almost unbelievable audio toy store. One doesn't know what to look at first! (And the other room is stocked with exotic tube amplifiers! I almost needed to be defibrillated when I saw all that!)

In person the Magico M9s are breathtaking (for state-of-the-art audio components, that is). I wish I had had the presence of mind to request Black Sabbath's "Paranoid"!

I think Chris' room is completely amazing! Without using absorption on the inside of the listening room Chris has achieved the lowest ambient noise level I have ever experienced in an audio listening room (27dB, Chris said).

Upon first entering the room the quietness is almost disorienting, and I looked around for anechoic chamber-type absorption. But there isn't any. Chris has insulated the listening room from all external noise. But there is no sensation of damping, let alone over-damping, when you're in the room listening to music. I am envious of this incredibly low ambient noise level! This is the "quietest" room I've ever heard, while at the same time remaining acoustically lively.

Fantastic work, Chris!

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Thanks for this Ron , you are really getting around lately , racking up those frequent listener mileage .. :)

BTW what is the noise level in your current room and yes 27dba is very low ..

Regards

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
BTW what is the noise level in your current room and yes 27dba is very low ..

I never checked with my new Reed SPL meter.

Unfortunately Tinka would not let me remove the kitchen on the other side of the glass wall of the listening room, so to achieve the lowest possible ambient noise level I would have to turn off the refrigerator and the freezer and the wine refrigerator in the kitchen, turn off the wine refrigerator in the living room, turn off the water heater above the listening room in the garage, and make sure the air-conditioning is off throughout the house. So maxxed-out silent running is not very practical.

• Haha
Reactions: dcathro

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks for this Ron , you are really getting around lately , racking up those frequent listener mileage .. :)

That's what I told Delta! I tried to redeem my frequent listener mileage points for a Nagra turntable, but all they sent me was a compact disc with music from Delta TV commercials.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Did you listen to vinyl Ron … and if so do you any impressions regarding the turntable ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks to Chris Hesse for letting me visit! Due to a time constraint I was able to spend only about 15 minutes relaxed and enjoying the music.

Chris' facility is an almost unbelievable audio toy store. One doesn't know what to look at first! (And the other room is stocked with exotic tube amplifiers! I almost needed to be defibrillated when I saw all that!)

In person the Magico M9s are breathtaking (for state-of-the-art audio components, that is). I wish I had had the presence of mind to request Black Sabbath's "Paranoid"!

I think Chris' room is completely amazing! Without using absorption on the inside of the listening room Chris has achieved the lowest ambient noise level I have ever experienced in an audio listening room (27dB, Chris said).

Upon first entering the room the quietness is almost disorienting, and I looked around for anechoic chamber-type absorption. But there isn't any. Chris has insulated the listening room from all external noise. But there is no sensation of damping, let alone over-damping, when you're in the room listening to music. I am envious of this incredibly low ambient noise level! This is the "quietest" room I've ever heard, while at the same time remaining acoustically lively.

Fantastic work, Chris!

so what happened to the Diesis, or did you just listen to this room

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Did you listen to vinyl Ron … and if so do you any impressions regarding the turntable ?
On the M9s we listened only to vinyl. Absolutely impossible to develop any impression whatsoever regarding the turntable -- on a standalone basis -- in the context of an unfamiliar system with unfamiliar electronics and in an unfamiliar room in 15 minutes.

However, I am familiar with the VYGER from visiting audioquattr, and I love it -- now that Björn's TITAN has quashed any prior concerns about pump reliability and airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
On the M9s we listened only to vinyl. Absolutely impossible to develop any impression whatsover regarding the turntable -- on standalone basis -- in the context of an unfamiliar system with unfamiliar electronics and in an unfamiliar room in 15 minutes.

However, I am familiar with the VYGER from visiting audioquattr, and I love it -- now that Björn's TITAN has quashed any prior concerns about pump reliability and airflow.

You guys only listened to Cowboy music ?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: tony22

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I can’t hear any bass from this video. I’m not saying the M9 does not have bass. For those who believe they can judge the sound from video, can i know whether they can judge M9 bass performance from this video?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The music picked up by the stereo mic built into the Canon video camera as I walk the camera around the room is strictly for casual music accompaniment. It should not be listened to as any accurate representation of the in-the-room sound I heard.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The music picked up by the stereo mic built into the Canon video camera as I walk the camera around the room is strictly for casual music accompaniment. It should not be listened to as any accurate representation of the in-the-room sound I heard.

May I suggest such a disclaimer accompanying your videos? People take the video sound way too seriously.

Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But did you seriously Chris only to get 15 mins of clips on WBF video? You did not try to understand the various interesting gear he has at the venue including the Diesis beautifully set up and many triodes?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I liked the choice of cuts from Dire Straits. Been awhile.
With all the hoopla, for the dealer's sake, I hope it's not representative.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I’m guessing the Canon mic is inferior to the typical iPhone mic we hear in vids?

Reactions: adyc

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m guessing the Canon mic is inferior to the typical iPhone mic we hear in vids?

Which is an inferior option too, including the $ 1 A/D converter in the phone.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Which is an inferior option too, including the $ 1 A/D converter in the phone.

The $1 A/D might be a great one. The low costs of mass produced IC chips is not an indication of quality. Most audio dacs are built with low cost off the shelf dac I C chips, including yours. Look at the $250K WADAX dac, built around a $2.50 Texas Instruments (TI)/Burr-Brown DAC IC chip.

Need to come up with a better argument than this. The Integrated Circuits Technology segment is light years more evolved, developed, and more advanced than the high-end audio world.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Please continue the never ending litigation about the representativeness of videos over one of the video threads.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing