Visit at KR Audio in Prague

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Found a wonderful thread from HiFiForum with pictures from KR Audios vacuum tube factory in Prague, Czech Republic.

KR Audio is a manufacturer of vaccum tubes and high end equipment (Kronzilla for example).

Here is the thread:

http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88016

Here are the Bing translation of the thread (from swedish to english); I hope it works:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hififorum.nu%2Fforum%2Ftopic.asp%3FTOPIC_ID%3D88016

A couple of pcitures from the link (I love the non high tech environment :b ):

15.jpg

17.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's a video of the KR tube factory from Discovery Science :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
very cool! thanks.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Been playing with two sets of KR amps a VA900 integrated and a pair of DX Mk.2s. We liked them so much when we heard them in Singapore we ordered evaluation units.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great video. I was introduced to SET amps while on a trip to Hong Kong in the mid 90's. I was wandering through hi-fi stores looking for vinyl and in a small shop were a large man and woman. The man was in a very animated discussion with the shop owner and then started to play an amp he had brought with him. The most glorious, addictive sound emerged from the smallish stand mounted speakers. The man was Riccardo Kron (the KR of the Czech factory) and his wife Eunice. He was trying to have HK dealers represent his amps and tubes. The amp he was demoing was powered by the KR Western Electric clone 300B tubes. I was hooked, but the price in the low-mid 5 figures was way too steep for me. Several years later, I was able to fulfill my dream, when a pair of used Cary 2A3 Signature monoblocks came on the used market - powered by KR 2A3 tubes. I bought them and then started looking for speakers that would be efficient enough to run on 3.5W per channel. That is how I found my Avantgarde Duos, again bought used - with about 103db efficiency. I've had the set up for about 8 years and have found no need to upgrade. Riccardo Kron passed away only a few years after I met him. The KR factory continues on, though I now use different tubes (Psvane Treasure 2A3's) which are about half the cost of the KR's (which are now about $700 a pair).

Larry

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
How cool. I love that monster-sized tube they make for the Kronzilla, a 610-T or something?
What shocks me in the picture of the man handling of the tube is that he is touching it with his bare fingers. I long ago started to use cotton gloves to handle tubes, to avoid getting any body oil on the glass. Maybe just another aspect of audio nervosa?
Thanks for the link.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How cool. I love that monster-sized tube they make for the Kronzilla, a 610-T or something?
What shocks me in the picture of the man handling of the tube is that he is touching it with his bare fingers. I long ago started to use cotton gloves to handle tubes, to avoid getting any body oil on the glass. Maybe just another aspect of audio nervosa?
Thanks for the link.

Definitely audio nervosa me thinks. I think it’s an old wife’s tale that you can’t have oil from your fingers touch the glass of vacuum tubes. On the inside of the glass? Yes, that would be a huge problem. On the outside? I don’t buy into it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a good time talking to Eunuce at RMAF, I have always liked the Kronzillas, the new model sounded fantastic to these ears!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Definitely audio nervosa me thinks. I think it’s an old wife’s tale that you can’t have oil from your fingers touch the glass of vacuum tubes. On the inside of the glass? Yes, that would be a huge problem. On the outside? I don’t buy into it.

Color me superstitious. I still wipe down tubes thoroughly after I handle them with my bare hands. It's a habit I developed handling halogen bulbs for club lighting. With what tubes can cost nowadays, I figure, why not? LOL. I received 4 KT120s, 4 T-1610s and 4 KR300B Classics. Not a smudge on 'em after my OC, ehem, QC inspection. :D Someone wiped them down real good.

Eunice is a sweetheart. We had lots of fun with Eunice, Albert VS and Jim T (Eggleston).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing