Viola

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Who has experience with the Viola pre and power, and what have you preferred it to, or preferred to the Viola?

Can't find a demo

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
IMO one of the best SS amps I've ever heard are the Bravos.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
IMO one of the best SS amps I've ever heard are the Bravos.

+1

We did a great comparison between two of the best (IMHO) recently. As I said at that time (posted elsewhere on the Internet),

The Viola was organic, sweet and powerful; the Gryphon was engaging, rich and detailed. Both were supremely musical and you could listen to this system for hours and hours on end. We had to eventually drag ourselves away for dinner. Wonderful fellowship.

The Viola Bravos were in parallel (high-current) monoblock mode. They could also have been configured in bridged high-power monoblock mode, but we thought that the parallel sounded better in the context of this system. I could have been happy with either. The customer eventually went up a model on both the speakers and the amps - electing for Mephisto Solos (the monoblock version).

G2Jr's in Penang.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Funny. I've never been a fan of bridged mode either.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Gary, what's your opinion on the ThermalTrak transistors in the Viola (and others like, allegedly, some Ayre)? There are conflicting/unsubstantiated reports of manufacturing problems and/or being entirely discontinued by OnSemi?!?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The MC601 monoblocks and the MC452 stereo amp utilize the ThermalTrak transistors and I'm not aware of problems posted by owners..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1

We did a great comparison between two of the best (IMHO) recently. As I said at that time (posted elsewhere on the Internet),

The Viola Bravos were in parallel (high-current) monoblock mode. They could also have been configured in bridged high-power monoblock mode, but we thought that the parallel sounded better in the context of this system. I could have been happy with either. The customer eventually went up a model on both the speakers and the amps - electing for Mephisto Solos (the monoblock version).

View attachment 19047

Fantastic photo...and btw, this is one of the reasons i really like WBF...tremendous experience in the uber high end. This (for me) is great because Gryphon is something i know and can calibrate...and so this gives me a very good idea (particularly given it's Gary saying it) of Viola.

That said, does the 2.2Jr really benefit from Mephisto monos...i thought the bass was self-powered?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I don't know if the G2.2Jr would benefit from the Mephisto monos - but I do know that they benefit from one Bravo vs monoblocked. Even though the bass is self-powered, and it's pretty efficient, more power gives an ease and effortlessness with the music that low-power amps and highly efficient speakers never seem to achieve. Unfortunately, some extremely powerful amps are effortless but slow. Neither the Mephisto nor the Bravos are slow.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hello guys,

I had the Viola Forte monos, I thought the very refined, transparent and with good speed, but I thought it lacked strength. My loudspeakers at the time were the Dynaudio 25th. I could also hear the Viola Forte with the Amati Anniversary and the Dynaudio Prestige.

I had another experience with Viola Symphony, the loudspeakers were Dynaudio Temptation, this combination was very impressive. The power had excellent control of the loudspeakers.

Currently my experiences have been with the Gryphon, I initially had the Gryphon Diablo, and at this time I'm with double Mirage + Colosseum.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello guys,

I had the Viola Forte monos, I thought the very refined, transparent and with good speed, but I thought it lacked strength. My loudspeakers at the time were the Dynaudio 25th. I could also hear the Viola Forte with the Amati Anniversary and the Dynaudio Prestige.

I had another experience with Viola Symphony, the loudspeakers were Dynaudio Temptation, this combination was very impressive. The power had excellent control of the loudspeakers.

Currently my experiences have been with the Gryphon, I initially had the Gryphon Diablo, and at this time I'm with double Mirage + Colosseum.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Fantastic...thanks for the insights. I am CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum. Enjoy, from a fellow Gryphon owner!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Based on Ricardo's comment, can anyone opine on how good Symphony is, compared to the Bravos?

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Fantastic...thanks for the insights. I am CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum. Enjoy, from a fellow Gryphon owner!!!

Thank you!!! :D

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Crescendo preamp.

Concerto amp.

The pics are from Hifistatement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing