Vinyl score of a lifetime

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I drove three hours each way to buy this box of sealed MFSL Test Pressings from a friend who recently sold his business and had some inventory left over. Unbelievable, it's like winning the lotto. 15 Miles Davis and more from the likes of Art Pepper, McCoy Tyner, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Patricia Barber, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Issac Hayes, The Band, Linda Ronstadt, Madeleine Peyroux...

mfsltestpress.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I hope you did not sandbag him and gave him a good price :)

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I hope you did not sandbag him and gave him a good price :)

Pretty simple, he said make him an offer, I did and he accepted. I drove to his house, we hung out for a couple hours listening to music and he gave a couple more albums of stuff we listened to. We plan to get back together with our wives for dinner.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great Score - Congrats! Larry

Reactions: Wardsweb

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/224629
ln my opinion testpress vinyls are mostly the same as promotional vinyls

I don't think that I have any test-pressing records but have a dozen or so "not for sale -promotional only" LP's.

Is there a difference?

Are the holes more likely to be off center?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Test pressings are just that...the first done when the stampers are made, and the last time to catch any errors or production glitches before running the batch. Remember you can't listen to the master thats chosen to be used to press from!

Promo lps were given away. Radio stations etc.

Reactions: amadeus and kach22i

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Test pressings can turn out to be very good, but not all. You have to check test pressings and throw out the bad ones. That's why many are quite cheap, but if someone is filtering those, they can be ridiculously expensive

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Often not the greatest but yes there are those few wonders! If we recall that a test press is the first thing done with the stamper (so the concept that stampers debur a bit after some use bears here), that the operator has to set the equipment up to punch out a few disks then take it apart, and the small chance that the test record was rejected and a new master made shows some of the hazards of test press collecting ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Wardsweb!

Reactions: Wardsweb

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes sounds very interesting Let us know what they are like ?

reminds me of the time my girlfriend told me that a vinyl record store was closing on a saturday

I was working and didn’t get there till 430 pm
i started flicking through and realised I didn’t have much time

i said how much for the lot?

he said if I took all the inventory he would deliver it himself

we reached a deal, shook on it and I went home

when I got home my girlfriend noticed I was empty handed

“ didn’t you get anything” she enquired

” I bought the lot” I replied

her jaw hit the floor,

we had to build 20 linear meters of record shelves !

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
The title of this thread is a pretty bold statement. That being said, I'd say the title is appropriate. Way to go.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I drove three hours each way to buy this box of sealed MFSL Test Pressings from a friend who recently sold his business and had some inventory left over. Unbelievable, it's like winning the lotto. 15 Miles Davis and more from the likes of Art Pepper, McCoy Tyner, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Patricia Barber, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Issac Hayes, The Band, Linda Ronstadt, Madeleine Peyroux...

View attachment 66382
That is awesome.you are very lucky.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing