Using a Variac

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I have a McIntosh C22 and a 225 power amp. The last time I used them they worked great, but they've been sitting idle for well over 10 years.

I have heard estimates on powering them up with a Variac from one hour to 2 days(!).

I was wondering what the braintrust in this forum would suggest?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I agree with tomelex. Just raise the voltage slowly. A minute sounds about right. You just don't wang to "shock" the unit after being off for a long time. You may have some bad caps and some marginal caps that will result in less than the unit's potential performance that may go unrecognized.

On the other hand . . . if you just fire it up at 120 volts and parts fail, you'll need and get a definitive repair if parts are marginally operational.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
A minute is about right. Most variacs won't start from zero - and some will go above line voltage, so be careful cranking it up all the way.

A friend just borrowed my variac to check out an entire life time's collection of vintage hifi (selling 'cos he's migrating/retiring to Thailand) and everything still worked except for an FM tuner from the 60's. It's usually the power supply caps that have deteriorated, but even old deteriorated caps should still be able to power up gently.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
For stating up equipment that has been on the shelf for a long time, using a light bulb tester with a very small bulb would be a good idea.

Tester1sm.JPG
Tester2sm.JPG
TesterSchematic.jpg

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the responses. All sound reasonable.

And @ garylkoh, congrats to your friend. I've been to Thailand nine times. Wifey is from there. Love it.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Now that the main question has been answered fully, may I expand the topic a bit?

I recently had an old solid state amp repaired locally. When I picked it up, I asked the repair tech if he recommended plugging the amp directly into the wall, and all other equipment though some sort of power treatment box or protection strip (as I currently do).

The tech said that he recommends to customers which ask about such things, and which own vintage SS receivers/ amps that they purchase a Variac, and run it at a slightly lower voltage than what comes out of the wall (going from 120V down to 110 or 100V).

He claims it's puts less stain on the equipment and extends the life of the equipment, and you will not hear a difference.

The tech guy which also sells on ebay, deals with a lot of mid and late 1970's solid state receivers. His collection absolutely delights me when I see it laying around the place waiting for it's new buyers.

Thoughts on running solid state amps though a Variac all the time?

I've always thought that running stereo equipment, and any equipment (computers, refrigerators....etc.) on low voltage or brown out like conditions was taboo.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Interesting. There was a guy on the radio who said that the utilities used to push the voltage up slightly in order to make the power cost more so they could charge more (a very simple description here).

IIRC, running something slightly lower (105v-110v) won't really hurt anything, just don't go too low.

I'm venturing unto unknown territory here so I'll just shut up about it. My main concern was powering up vintage equipment and abusing old capacitors and such.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
A long, long time ago, the voltage standard in the US was 110V then 115 or 117V more recently it's 120V. But now we see electrical items listed at 125V and more and more power companies providing about 125V.
So if you are in a higher voltage neighborhood and you have legacy equipment designed for maybe 115V I could see a line voltage adjustment.
Power amps need bigger Variac's than their ratings.
For those that can work with power line voltage equipment, a boost-buck transformer is the way to go. But safe wiring can be tricky.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/buck-xfmr.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/variac.htm

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing