Use of an external DSD-DAC while SACD playback

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
I read that for some copyright reasons, SACD players have an internal DAC because they are not supposed to output DSD to an external DAC while playing SACD. (while they can use an external DAC when playing RedBook CD)

Is it always the case ?

-> Are there some SACD players that can output the DSD stream natif to an external DSD Compatible DAC ? (so that we can use our own TOL DAC from another brand like TotalDAC, instead of the internal player's DAC)

(I read somewhere that the Vitus RCD–101 can do it !?)

Last edited:
There are several SACD players that can output a native DSD stream. The Playback Designs, EMM Labs and a couple DCS models.
There are a couple DAC manufacturers that can accept this data stream as well as their own brand.

I read that for some copyright reasons, SACD players have an internal DAC because they are not supposed to output DSD to an external DAC while playing SACD. (while they can use an external DAC when playing RedBook CD)
Is it always the case ?
-> Are there some SACD players that can output the DSD stream natif to an external DSD Compatible DAC ? (so that we can use our own TOL DAC from another brand like TotalDAC, instead of the internal player's DAC)

Hi bmichels,
Please check your private message.
Thanks.

I found the VANITY board to fit inside an OPPO 103 in order to stream DSD out to an external DCA

I wonder if there is a version of the Vanity board for the OPPO 105 ? And, Will the 105 be a better CD/SACD player than the 103 ?

I found the VANITY board to fit inside an OPPO 103 in order to stream DSD out to an external DCA
I wonder if there is a version of the Vanity board for the OPPO 105 ? And, Will the 105 be a better CD/SACD player than the 103 ?

The VanityHD card has an AES digital output version too.

However, Oppo 95/105 have completely diff circuit design so VanityHD card is not applicable.

Is it always the case ?

The main problem is not DSD. It is the SACD, which is an encrypted, proprietary medium containing DSD-encoded music. SACD licensing requirements of the player manufacturers force them to restrict the player output from SACD to be either analog or HDMI, even if the player converts the DSD to PCM internally. The Vanity board for the Oppo 93/95 skirts these restrictions, perhaps illegally, by sending an unencrypted version of the DSD from the SACD converted to hi rez PCM over SPDIF coax or AES/EBU. Some high end player and DAC manufacturers appear to have gotten a dispensation from the usual licensing limitations allowing for the use of DoP - DSD over PCM. These include Playback Designs, DCS, etc.

But, the very deep encryption extending to the hardware level of SACD-capable optical drives has been cracked. That was done years ago using very specific versions of the Sony PS3 at very specific levels of the PS3 OS (Version 3.55 or below) using free hacking software. So, many audiophiles have been busy ripping SACDs to PC hard drives via PS3. Once ripped to the PC, they are unencrypted DSD and freely playable by a large number of DACs. Depending on the DAC, that can take the form of pure DSD, DSD converted to hi rez PCM by the PC player software or DoP.

The above is about consumer products. Pro recording studios can and do send unencrypted DSD around to multiple devices in a variety of ways freely until they "burn" it to an encrypted SACD. This includes EMM gear and many others.

Is it always the case ?

Hi, IHave EMM Labs XDS1 v2 it puts out a 88kHz signal to Nagra HD DAC via XLR digital, and sounds wonderful to my ears, and they both do similar processing to DSD. Love them both for different musical pieces.

To my ears, cannot discern CD from SACD quality per se, ?? More a matter of the recording itself, production ??
M2m

The interesting thing about using separate transport/DAC combination is that the sequence on which unit is powered up first prior to playing the disc, will have a great bearing on the resultant sound.

On my TSDX/DAC2X I used to power up the DAC first.

But I've since found powering up the transport first, loading the disc, and then powering up the DAC gives me much much better sound.

On the xds1 which I had before, I couldn't do this of course.

Meitner, I'm sure, is unaware of this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing