US power receptacles

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi there,
My new room has 12 dedicated 20A circuits using 6mm wire.
All the points are single and are for Australian plugs.
I'm wanting to change a few of them for US type leads.
I've been searching the web and found the likes of ps audio and Shunyata but I can only find them in doubles meaning they support up to 2 cables.
Does anyone know if they are available in just a single variety?
Cheers

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
As far as I can discern, the only specifically audiophile NEMA (North American Edison type) outlet is the
Furutech GTX-S?R?/?G). http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1742/
Its available in both rhodium and gold plate. The duplex version has been reviewed by a number of folks, including Myles Astor, who posts here. I'm not familiar with any of these, and can't comment.

Please note that the single versions of these outlets have the same mounting holes as duplex versions, so it might be simpler to just use the duplex versions that will give you a far larger choice of vendors.

I use specification grade duplex outlets from Hubbell HBL5362, which I have cryoed. The single version would be the HBL5361,( EDIT: This also has the same mounting hole spacing as a standard duplex outlet) but I don't know if they're readily available cryoed, nor how they would perform....

FWIW,
Paul

Last edited:

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Thanks for the reply Paul, I appreciate it.
Was looking at the specs of the outlet and it says for 4mm wire, I have used 6mm in my dedicated circuits.
Does anyone know how this would go? Thanks in advance.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
We don't really do single-outlet plates in the US except for 220. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere, but they're very uncommon.

Tim

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I can't speak to audiophile outlets. Search electrical supply places and you can find single 20 A outputs (compatible with standard 15 A). You may have to use a hospital or outdoor variety. I would not bet that a single will fit your outlet boxes, however. US and Australian standards are different so even the singles might not fit properly. Could you just get (buy, build, have someone build for you) an adapter with Australian on one end and US on the other? That seems like it might be easier.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Thanks for the reply Paul, I appreciate it.
Was looking at the specs of the outlet and it says for 4mm wire, I have used 6mm in my dedicated circuits.
Does anyone know how this would go? Thanks in advance.

Robby,

You used wire approx. 1/4" in diameter wire to run your circuits? Are you sure that 6mm doesn't refer to its area as 6mm^2, which is less than 3mm in diameter, which would fit most specification and audiophile receptacles?

Off topic: I'd also ask why you need so many dedicated circuits? In the States I assume a dedicated circuit is an individual circuit with its own breaker, which runs from its dedicated outlet to the breaker box. If we are talking the same definition of dedicated circuit, I would ask, why? The extra 'loop area' of having multiple components tie their grounds together though long lengths is a recipe for ground loop hum and noise, unless the runs from outlet to breaker box is very, very short. A single dedicated 240vac 20 amp line can power a lot of equipment and minimize the potential for ground loop hum and noise.

Regards,
Paul

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Robby,

You used wire approx. 1/4" in diameter wire to run your circuits? Are you sure that 6mm doesn't refer to its area as 6mm^2, which is less than 3mm in diameter, which would fit most specification and audiophile receptacles?

Off topic: I'd also ask why you need so many dedicated circuits? In the States I assume a dedicated circuit is an individual circuit with its own breaker, which runs from its dedicated outlet to the breaker box. If we are talking the same definition of dedicated circuit, I would ask, why? The extra 'loop area' of having multiple components tie their grounds together though long lengths is a recipe for ground loop hum and noise, unless the runs from outlet to breaker box is very, very short. A single dedicated 240vac 20 amp line can power a lot of equipment and minimize the potential for ground loop hum and noise.

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,
6mm or 30A wire was used.
The wire runs from my room to the power box are about 8 meters.
I have 3 single points on the front wall for amplifiers and 9 singles down the side wall for sources.
I have 1 spare should something be added at a later date.
I hope it will work well.
Cheers

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Given the 30 amp rating I'd think that the 6mm is the area, not diameter.[ UL approved 600vac 30 amp rated mains cordage is typically a 10 gauge (5.26mm^2)triad ] You shouldn't have any problems fitting the wire in receptacles that can accommodate 4 mm diameter wires.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
the 10/3 wire that I used (JPS Labs In-wall) cable was just too big/cumbersome to fit into my Oyaide R1 outlets, so the electrician crimped/soldered gold spades and used shrink wrap to each end and we used the outlet side terminals. It was a lot of work. Because of the bulkiness of the cable, I had to use extra deep boxes as well.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
IIRC Metric 6mm is equivalent to between AWG 9 and 10.

What Gary Koh said about 6 mm2 being between 9 and 10 AWG is correct.

6mm diameter is between 3 and 4 AWG which is a mighty fat wire.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
3 gauge unstated at 100 amps nec . Now way someone did that. I did 8 gauge in mine and that was a big pain to work with. 4 gauge is 90 amps. These gauge wires are typical feeders for panels. Something is wrong in this measuring . 10 gauge is fine 10/3 and it will fit on terminals of outlets .
Al

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Most (if not all) North American receptacle's and dual receptacle's are specified to be used with the following gauge wire.

15 Amp receptacle's - 10AWG to 14AWG wire.

20 Amp receptacle's - 10AWG or 12AWG wire.

In circuits that have heavier wire, the electrician's standard procedure is to attach a short pigtail wire to that heavier wire. Electrician's love pigtails.

10AWG = 2.59mm = 5.26 mm2
12AWG = 2.05mm = 3.31 mm2
14AWG = 1.63mm = 2.08 mm2

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
if the wire used is a larger gauge wire there will need to be installed tails from the outlet terminals. use 10 gauge from the outlets . but use a bug nut a copper one and not a crimp. as crimps if done correctly are fine most do not have the proper tools to do so. using a small bug nut is far better.
http://m.platt.com/Products.aspx?search=bug nuts #1 awg
as shown in this attachment.
al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing