Upgrading from EMT TSD 75...Shindo VR, Kuzma Ref 313 VTA arm

fjn04

Oct 31, 2014
I have been using an EMT TSD-75 as my main cartridge for a few years. I'd like to purchase a new cartridge in the $5-$6 range. I'm considering Koetsu or EMT. The EMT is the front runner, due to the fact I know they play well w/ my tonearm, step up, and phono stage. The issue is I'm not sure which model to get.

my setup: Kuzma Ref. 2, REF 313 VTA, Shindo VR, Dyquem Parallel SET 300B, Altec Valencia's w/ updated crossovers. Music runs from classic jazz, to Nick Drake, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Joni, Eva Cassidy, Elliott Smith, CSN/Y, solo Neil, Zeppelin, Jackson Browne. Cheers -Don

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have been using an EMT TSD-75 as my main cartridge for a few years. I'd like to purchase a new cartridge in the $5-$6 range. I'm considering Koetsu or EMT. The EMT is the front runner, due to the fact I know they play well w/ my tonearm, step up, and phono stage. The issue is I'm not sure which model to get.

my setup: Kuzma Ref. 2, REF 313 VTA, Shindo VR, Dyquem Parallel SET 300B, Altec Valencia's w/ updated crossovers. Music runs from classic jazz, to Nick Drake, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Joni, Eva Cassidy, Elliott Smith, CSN/Y, solo Neil, Zeppelin, Jackson Browne. Cheers -Don
I would go koetsu.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi fjn04

If you can stretch the budget to the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum or find a used one in good shape, that’s the one I would get. A friend of mine recently upgraded from an older Dynavector (I’m sorry, I don’t know which model he had) that he really liked and owned for several years to a Rosewood Signature Platinum. After he had the new Koetsu for several months, I asked what he thought. His answer made me laugh, he said, and I quote, “it’s the best piece of audio I’ve ever bought”. Not the best cartridge he’d ever bought, but the best piece of audio he’d ever bought. Now here’s a guy who’s been into analog and high end audio for more than 50 years. Safe to say, I think he liked it!

Based on what I’ve read, the Koetsu cartridges use basically two different types of motors. Either the Samarium Cobalt magnets which use copper coil wiring with an output of .4mV or the Platinum magnets which use silverplated copper wiring which slightly decreases output voltage to 0.03mV. The other differences are in the material used for the bodies. Either the wood body or the various stone bodies which does effect the sound. They offer both versions for the Rosewood cartridges. From what I understand, most people feel the Platinum magnets sound best.

My friend who sells Koetsu cartridges told me that the Rosewood Platinum Signature is their best selling cartridge. Unfortunately, that one has a retail price of $8.5K. Best of luck. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
I had been using the EMT TSD 75 Anniversary cartridge. I switched to the Miyajima Madake cartridge and like it a lot. Not as analytical sounding, but “in the room” soundstage……vocals are the best I’ve heard. It’s in your price range. There are a few YouTube videos highlighting the cartridge.

I use Shindo Giscours and TW Acustic mono 300B amps and Turntable/tonearm. Speakers are high efficiency Cessaro. So our systems are both high efficiency. I assume the Madake will sound great with your set up. Good luck and Happy Listening!

fjn04

Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have a My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent on loan from a friend. I just mounted it
on Saturday evening. So far it's very impressive. Extreme detail, but not thin or dry sounding, with the records I have spun so far.
Much more even handed (for good or bad) than the TSD 75. The 75 has a mid bass punch, but lacks the deep bass detail of the MSL.
A very sorted, wide open sound.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi fjn04

That's what I call a good friend! You should buy him an lp to thank him! Take care.

Best regards
Scot

fjn04

Oct 31, 2014
Yes- I bought the My Sonic Lab Hyper Eminent. As expected, my Homage T2 did not work well due to the fact
it's made for high impedance (Denon 103, EMT...) carts. I'm buying a Slagle EMIA unit, which is 1:14 winding,
super low (designated SL for 1-3 ohm) impedance. For me, the MSL has a sprinkle of warmth, but is much more
revealing than my EMT and Charisma (Denon) 103. It is also double the price of the EMT, and 5 times
the price of the Charisma. It can be made to sound quite neutral, but with a drop of the tail of my arm,
it has more body. I'm not one to spend for megabuck cartridges...But this was a good purchase,
even though I dropped 7K including the Stagle.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
How about the EMT Novel Gold?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing