Upgrading binding posts

rallan

Feb 8, 2014
I have a DMA-150 series 2 and would like to upgrade the binding posts. Considering either Cardas or WBT and would appreciate any thoughts. Also, anyone have information regarding size of new posts?
thanks for any information.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a DMA-150 series 2 and would like to upgrade the binding posts. Considering either Cardas or WBT and would appreciate any thoughts. Also, anyone have information regarding size of new posts?
thanks for any information.

I would think twice about upgrading the binding posts. Unless you plan on owning this amp forever, if you modify this amp you will hurt the resale value and possibly make it unsalable. I believe that WBT gives the dimensions of their binding posts on their website. I'm almost positive that you will have to drill bigger holes to accommodate them. You might want to check with Spectral because they may or may not repair an amp of theirs once it has been modified. ARC takes a very strong stand against modifications performed by anyone except them and they won't repair a piece of gear once it has been modified. ARC still services every piece of gear they have ever made as long as it hasn't been modified.

Again, think twice about your decision. You could end up butchering your amp and finding out that Spectral won't touch it and people won't buy it.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I also have the dma-150, spectral used Pomona 5-way posts back then they're instrument grade and the metallurgy is at least as good as wbt. given a choice I'd go with cardas but I have no impulse to 'upgrade' binding post, I'm over those types of mods and would only consider OEM replacement parts when the need arises.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On the speaker end my favorite are WBT's rhodiums. They lock very well on spades and have a lock for bananas as well. I don't see why they shouldn't work on the amp end.

b_4224.jpg

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Oh, you can make them work Jack. My point is at what cost? And I don't mean the cost of the new binding posts. If Rallan plans on owning this amp forever, it doesn't matter. At some point the amp is going to break, and I would want to make sure that Spectral will still work on it if the amp has been modified.

rallan

Feb 8, 2014
The reason I am considering upgrading the posts is the I am embarrassed to admit having stripped one of the posts when reattaching the cables. In the meantime I have a used non-spectral post and since I need to replace that one I thought to go ahead and replace both pairs with a upgraded post.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The reason I am considering upgrading the posts is the I am embarrassed to admit having stripped one of the posts when reattaching the cables. In the meantime I have a used non-spectral post and since I need to replace that one I thought to go ahead and replace both pairs with a upgraded post.

Gotcha. Remember the rule that tight is tight and too tight is broke. You can't reef on binding posts and not expect that you will set them spinning. Unless I planned on taking this amp to the grave with me and never selling it, I would either ask Spectral to sell you a new set of binding posts and if they balk, send it back to them for repair.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The current Spectral binding posts appear to be a longer version of the all-copper Mundorf M6s, aka Classic 6. I have the short version on my speakers. Highly recommended.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Gotcha. Remember the rule that tight is tight and too tight is broke. You can't reef on binding posts and not expect that you will set them spinning. Unless I planned on taking this amp to the grave with me and never selling it, I would either ask Spectral to sell you a new set of binding posts and if they balk, send it back to them for repair.

rallen, I second what mep is saying. Replace factory with factory or you will have warranty issues and most certainly resale issues. As a Spectral user, I wouldn't touch an amplifier on the used market that is not 100% original. Spectral is a company that is a stickler for how their products are to be used. I would not do a thing other than replace those posts with factory fresh originals. Good Luck! Best, Rob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing