United Home Audio Phase 11S deck has been ordered

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
While I genuinely congratulate you on your new purchase, I can't help but wonder how much of a difference in sound quality this will make. No doubt, based on the reviews, this seems to be an excellent deck, but its a huge expenditure and perhaps bought because you can afford it and you truly do like gear on the more expensive side of things. That's not necessarily a criticism, as Lord knows I'd love to own some of the gear you have, but perhaps it's a status thing.

I honestly mean no disrespect...I'm just talking out loud here.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
While I genuinely congratulate you on your new purchase, I can't help but wonder how much of a difference in sound quality this will make. No doubt, based on the reviews, this seems to be an excellent deck, but its a huge expenditure and perhaps bought because you can afford it and you truly do like gear on the more expensive side of things. That's not necessarily a criticism, as Lord knows I'd love to own some of the gear you have, but perhaps it's a status thing.

I honestly mean no disrespect...I'm just talking out loud here.

I have a modded Technics 1500, head wired out to King/Cello tape pre. While it sounds very good, it has hit it's limit with tape repro. In other words, I am not getting the best sound the tapes have to offer. That is why I bought this deck...to get the best sound possible...not because I like expensive shiny things. In case you missed it, my approach to music reproduction is in "All out Assault" mode. I have achieved that everywhere in my system except for tape. That has now been rectified and in two months I will have this deck. No disrespect taken.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a modded Technics 1500, head wired out to King/Cello tape pre. While it sounds very good, it has hit it's limit with tape repro. In other words, I am not getting the best sound the tapes have to offer. That is why I bought this deck...to get the best sound possible...not because I like expensive shiny things. In case you missed it, my approach to music reproduction is in "All out Assault" mode. I have achieved that everywhere in my system except for tape. That has now been rectified and in two months I will have this deck. No disrespect taken.

Thank you. And I stand corrected.

It's just really difficult for me to understand all of the nuances in sound that can be heard, especially when you consider our hearing is not nearly as acute as it once was. Of course, I don't have the pleasure of listening to top-notch gear, so I could very well be talking out of the back side of my torso.

Regardless of what I said, I am happy for you...and I mean that.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thank you. And I stand corrected.

It's just really difficult for me to understand all of the nuances in sound that can be heard, especially when you consider our hearing is not nearly as acute as it once was. Of course, I don't have the pleasure of listening to top-notch gear, so I could very well be talking out of the back side of my torso.

Regardless of what I said, I am happy for you...and I mean that.

Thank you. I do have one component upgrade still to go after this deck...The Pass XS preamp. Then I'm done...:cool:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thank you. I do have one component upgrade still to go after this deck...The Pass XS preamp. Then I'm done...:cool:

I doubt it, but okay! :p

If you can do it...more power to you. You only live once and you can't it with you....

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
There are some improvements made to the playback preamp. I will have to ask Greg again what they are as I have forgotten. It's new, so he hasn't updated his website yet with the 11S version specs.

Change some improvements to a lot of improvements. I think your strips on the side won't be the "Celtic silver" but something different which is part of the "S". ;) I think you will be happy.

Dre

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Change some improvements to a lot of improvements. I think your strips on the side won't be the "Celtic silver" but something different which is part of the "S". ;) I think you will be happy.

Dre

From what I understand, the S model was over at Jonathan Valin's house recently.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I have a modded Technics 1500, head wired out to King/Cello tape pre. While it sounds very good, it has hit it's limit with tape repro. In other words, I am not getting the best sound the tapes have to offer.

Christian

I wouldn't discount what you have too harshly. The last time I heard the same Technics 1500 and King Cello pre combo was at Myles' place few months ago. It was making beautiful music to my ears. ;-)

Ki

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian

I wouldn't discount what you have too harshly. The last time I heard the same Technics 1500 and King Cello pre combo was at Myles' place few months ago. It was making beautiful music to my ears. ;-)

Ki

It does sound good Ki, however, my KC has no low eq, so the bass bump can be a little too prominent if you know what I mean. When the UHA arrives, I will be better able to make the comparison.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I do have one component upgrade still to go after this deck...The Pass XS preamp. Then I'm done...

Ha! An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky. Congrats on the new deck.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It does sound good Ki, however, my KC has no low eq, so the bass bump can be a little too prominent if you know what I mean. When the UHA arrives, I will be better able to make the comparison.

Charlie actually can take head bump out with a resistor as he did in my unit.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Christian

Ki
Mine is actually using the Duelands in the input and no cap at all on the output. Sorta similar to Mike L.'s unit but for a different reason.

Listen the really nice thing about Greg's decks other than the sound is that they're plug and play. No muss, no fuss and they all come with a warranty. A lot to be said for that approach :) The crowd that Greg hopes to attract to R2R are not current tape heads but the uninitiated who don't really care about all the ins and outs of tape decks and just want to spool up a tape (akin to having a ready made tt setup) and listen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing