Unbroken

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I read the book last year and it was one of my favorite reads that year. I am sure all of us know that this is a biopic of Louis Zamperini who has one of the most incredible stories of human endurance and human survival during WW ll in which his plane went down in the Pacific and after 48 days afloat they were rescued but taken prisoner by the Japanese and placed in a POW camp.

Neither the film nor Angeline Jolie who Directed the film are getting any recognition having been over looked by the Golden Globes

MRQE.com which I use as a reliable metric of all reviews on this film in the country gave it a 59%

Having said that my wife and I saw the movie this afternoon and I have to say that both my wife and I really liked it. It is very true to the book and I enjoyed the editing where the past and present are intertwined to tell the story of Zamperini.

My wife also read the book and she said she could't have watched it had she not read the book and knew what happens. Rated PG-13 and not one cuss word. The 3 actors who played the roles of the survivors of the plane crash must ave each lost 25-30 lbs in the role.

I would rate this film a 4/5 and worth the 2 hours and 17 minutes. The ending of the film is endearing as we see Louis at age 80 carrying the torch into the Tokyo olympics having forgiven his Japanese captors

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I had been looking forward to this movie since I first saw the advance trailers during NBC's Winter Olympic coverage last year. I must say it was a bit of a letdown but still found it very enjoyable. The opening bombing/flak/fighter scenes were very well done. Louis Zamperini was one tough individual as were many of those who endured similar confinement.

In my mind this film doesn't make it into the handful of top films for the year. I still have to see Selma and Birdman before I make any final decisions.

Steve Williams

Selma opens nationwide this weekend. It and American Sniper and Still Alice are the only 3 left for me.

Birdman is a masterpiece but not my vote for Best Picture but rather Best Actor in Michael Keaton. You will be amazed how good he is. I'm torn between him and Benedict Cumberbatch for the Oscar.

BTW I want to see Still Alice for Julianne Moores performance as Best Actress

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve, my wife read the book Still Alice and thought it was very good. I am sure she will want to see it too. American Sniper is one that my wife won't go see but I will go when it opens here on the 16th.

Did you ever have the opportunity to see Calvary. Brendan Gleeson was excellent in this movie filled with quirky characters. One of those movies where people sat in their seats for a few seconds at the end going wow.

Steve Williams

Steve, my wife read the book Still Alice and thought it was very good. I am sure she will want to see it too. American Sniper is one that my wife won't go see but I will go when it opens here on the 16th.

Did you ever have the opportunity to see Calvary. Brendan Gleeson was excellent in this movie filled with quirky characters. One of those movies where people sat in their seats for a few seconds at the end going wow.

It's nowhere to be found around here. Perhaps OnDemand or Netflix

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Very good movie. Very good directing by Jolie. The survival scenes on the water were very gripping and the POW scene creates so much emotion to the viewer. While we see how strong willed Louie was all his life and how he was still able to forgive his captors, I can't help but want to send Ip Man to beat up Wattanabe. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing