UHQR 45rpm Steely Dan---7 early titles---announced last week--ordered them all.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
all mastered direct from tape, by Bernie Grundman. i'm a big Steely Dan fan, have good to very good pressings of these and a few tapes. but this got my attention. some of my all time favorite pop music. lovingly performed and recorded. never hurt that Walter Becker, RIP, was an audiophile.

seen them live a few times, never disappointed, always top level musicianship.

ordered all of them.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
When it comes to musical taste I have no doubt I'm in a very small minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing what other titles are available.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Curious if anyone has an opinion on the UHQR or Ume 33 vs the original pressing of Can’t Buy a Thrill .
Even an impression of either of the new lps would be welcome.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
quick hit take.

i have a reissue reference for 'Can't Buy A Thrill' i've had for awhile; around 15 to 20 years. i recall i had a few earlier copies in my collection and then was recommended this reissue and it was quite a bit better than the others i had. but i can't find any identification on who did it and no longer recall what it was. i do play this one quite a bit, at least every few months, as side one is a 'guilty pleasure' as i really enjoy 'Do It Again' and ' Dirty Work, as well as 'Reeling In The Years' on side 2. so it's a reference when i'm in the mood for power pop on vinyl. this music was in my college days and just prior to getting married. it's in my sweet spot. always loved Steely Dan in any case.

in a direct A-B-A-B compare just now to my long term reference, the UHQR 45rpm on my NVS/FCL/Etsuro Gold has slightly more dynamics, better separation and scale, more detail.......and you hear deeper into the soundstage. it seems to flow a bit better too. more/denser meat on the bones. these differences are not night and day, but they are noticeable. glad i got this one.

in my quest for some higher truth, tonight i did find what is supposed to be an 'excellent' CBAT Original Pressing, that i splurged on, and when it arrives i will listen and report. could not help myself. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: KahunaCanuck

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
quick hit take.

i have a reissue reference for 'Can't Buy A Thrill' i've had for awhile; around 15 to 20 years. i recall i had a few earlier copies in my collection and then was recommended this reissue and it was quite a bit better than the others i had. but i can't find any identification on who did it and no longer recall what it was. i do play this one quite a bit, at least every few months, as side one is a 'guilty pleasure' as i really enjoy 'Do It Again' and ' Dirty Work, as well as 'Reeling In The Years' on side 2. so it's a reference when i'm in the mood for power pop on vinyl. this music was in my college days and just prior to getting married. it's in my sweet spot. always loved Steely Dan in any case.

compared to my long term reference, the UHRQ 45rpm on my NVS/FCL/Etsuro Gold has slightly more dynamics, better separation and scale, more detail and you hear deeper into the soundstage. it seems to flow a bit better too. more meat on the bones. these differences are not night and day, but they are noticeable. glad i got this one.

in my quest for some higher truth, tonight i did find what is supposed to be an 'excellent' CBAT Original Pressing, that i splurged on, and when it arrives i will listen and report. could not help myself. :rolleyes:
Thanks for your detailed reply.
Love the Dan as do people of all ages.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I received mine as well. Like you Mike, I pre-ordered all seven. I’m a huge fan, but had not replaced my copy that was stolen long back when I moved down here to Oregon. One of my audio buddies gave me a copy about a year ago. I think some tracks were better recorded/mastered than others, but whatever was there to work with I think sounds the best I’ve ever heard. I think your description covers it pretty wel.

In 72 I was a high school punk. Had my 64 Chevy Malibu cassette deck’d out and like most high school punks tried to get my car stereo sounding righteous. I fondly remember all the times driving to my girlfriend’s house listening to Can’t by a Thrill. Long hot summer nights, windows down, music playing loud. Great memories.

Last edited:

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I received mine as well. Like you Mike, I pre-ordered all seven. I’m a huge fan, but had not replaced my copy that stolen long back when I moved down here to Oregon. One of my audio buddies gave me a copy about a year ago. I think some tracks were better recorded/mastered than others, but whatever was there to work with I think sounds the best I’ve ever heard. I think your description covers it pretty wel.

In 72 I was a high school punk. Had my 64 Chevy Malibu cassette deck’d out and like most high school punks tried to get my car stereo sounding righteous. I fondly remember all the times driving to my girlfriend’s house listening to Can’t by a Thrill. Long hot summer nights, windows down, music playing loud. Great memories.
Someone stole your Steely Dan record!
Grand theft vinyl.
Should be sentenced to 7 years of Kenny G on repeat.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I also ordered the whole stack. CBAT sounds great, but I noticed some groove noise in the silent grooves between the tunes. Otherwise my thoughts are right in line with Mike’s.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks. Sounds like what I’ve got.

Reactions: Bobvin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have the 33.333 rpm Can't Buy A Thrill on order. My late 80s pressings of all the Steely albums are serviceable but unremarkable. Looking fwds to this one.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bob, in 1972 at 8 years old I was still in short trousers, and my first GF was Ursula Andress in Dr. No. A good start, yes?

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bob, in 1972 at 8 years old I was still in short trousers, and my first GF was Ursula Andress in Dr. No. A good start, yes?
Swimsuit with a scuba knife on her side — might have conditioned you to a life seeking ‘dangerous’ (and remarkably beautiful women). one guy to another, i hope that vision was realized at least once in your life! :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha Bob, I've had my share of close calls. Less the threat of a knife, more the threat of a ring.

• Haha
Reactions: mtemur and Bobvin

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
thanks for the detour into day-dreams guys......i have my share from the 70's too. went to college, got married, and both my kids were born.....in the 70's. it was the time of my life.

i got my apparently original pressing of 'Can't Buy A Thrill' yesterday. and this morning did a quick A/B/A/B with my UHQR 45 and reissue.

the original has more presence, air and top end delicacy. the original flows a bit better. you see into the original a bit more. dynamics are slightly different related to the flow. the UHQR and reissue might have slightly more weight, but the original is more agile. the UHQR 45 separates things better, backgrounds are quieter, than the original.

the UHQR is very good and enjoyable. but i would grab the original if choosing between the 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and Bobvin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And pray tell Mike, what sort of prices do s/h originals demand?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
And pray tell Mike, what sort of prices do s/h originals demand?
buying originals is a crap shoot. you might need to buy 3 or 4 to find one that is actually quiet and right. so these days i need to be pretty motivated to go chase one.

this particular one was described as 'excellent' and the seller had 99.7% positive feedback with over 800 feedbacks.

i paid $170 including shipping. likely in the ball park for a main stream popular title like this. and it's better than my $150 UHQR. i paid the value i think. my past experience is about 1/3rd to 1/4th the time the original is truly acceptable and i am glad i did it. so it's not always worth the effort and it's not a thing i do regularly. i wanted to get a base line for these UHQR's that i've already paid for as to where they fit in.

Steely Dan has very consistently great production. so it's maybe more predictable that an early pressing could be very good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing