Turntable setup (suggestions and experiences)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Dear @DasguteOhr I see that you’re using a diy arc protractor and I think arc protractors are better than the others.

the problem with diy arc protractor is printing. I used the same program you use and even drawn some protractors using autocad. I tried several printers in professional printing shops from various brands. it is almost impossible to get precise printing of the pdf file. I printed out the same protractor and measured it in 1/20mm precision maybe 50 times and ended up piles of unusable protractors. after a lot of unsuccessful attempts I found out that only a professional printer (big ones almost 5mt. long) should be used with same paper all the time and with right printing scale (0.9981). maybe that number work for you too. you should also find a way to precisely measure 200mm lines and pivot to spindle distance on protractor in order to be sure the scale is right. IMHO measuring precision should be 1/20mm or better.

another problem is cutting the spindle hole. since it should be exactly 7.18mm in diameter and there isn’t a hole punch at that diameter the only option is using 7mm punch. precisely centering punch while cutting the spindle hole is very important and is very difficult.

I spent a lot of time to overcome those problems but if I knew that in the beginning I would simply buy a generic arc protractor like wallytractor.

IMO if you have sme 309 and up, use sme’s own paper protractor. and for the rest use a laser etched arc protractor preferably wallytractor. whatever you use the most important thing is precisely setting the arm/cartridge in line with protractor’s. using iphone’s magnifier really helps.
I think arc template is really good, of course it is always more accurate a lasered Mint Protractor is the most accurate. I have many tonearms the Mint Protractor only works with one tonearm because it is only made for the spindle and the selected tonearm.that's expensive for me for 6 tonearms.

Of course, you have to measure the print result with a precise ruler.
therefor is 100mm and 200mm marking to see if everything fits
here is a little video of how it handles the spindle hole. I am satisfied I can adjust each tonearm and try out different zero points.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
What protractors have you tried that are less accurate than the Mint?
Dr.Feickert, Dennesen, Clearaudio,Schön Template etc ... the work is mostly done with the help of the tonearm pivot point, which is not always 100% fixable. you don't need it with the Mint LP, as the diamond tip only follows one point (installation distance tonearm) along the entire arc.
you have to measure the spindle of your turntable with a calliper, the centerhole will be drilled exactly according to your specifications. my thorens 124 has for example 7.22mm. there is no play in the measurements. Feickert exsample.
20211121_120234.jpg
This is a great advantage compared to other protractors, at the zero points there are mirror surfaces that do not cause any optical edge distortion, as is the case with some magnifying glasses.
nullpoint.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This is a great advantage compared to other protractors, at the zero points there are mirror surfaces that do not cause any optical edge distortion, as is the case with some magnifying glasses.

Thanks for that response.

Yes, I understand about pivot-to-spindle measurement and parallax viewing. I'm familiar with the Mint. I have not tried the Dennesen, Clearaudio,Schön.

Comparing to arc protractors I like the original Wally protractor better because it has a pin head sized hole for the stylus point to sit. You don't need to count on your eyesight for stylus point on crosshairs. And you don't need to measure overhang or anything else to place an order.

Wrt to non-arc, I tried the original Feickert. I did not care for it because it was not mirrored and the stylus tip spot was way too large.

Although more expensive than a single Mint, easily the best I have used is Dietrich Brakemeir's Uni-Pro with his Smartractor being somewhat similar. It will support virtually any tonearm, has 3 spindle adapters, excellent mirrored surface, nice magnifier, and a host of other features. If your TT's P2S measurement is not quite perferfect for your tonearm, you can still align the cartridge. I'm sure you are aware of it.

I have not tried the newer Wally protractor. It looks somewhat similar to the Smartractor. JR Boisclair does know his stuff.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks for that response.

Yes, I understand about pivot-to-spindle measurement and parallax viewing. I'm familiar with the Mint. I have not tried the Dennesen, Clearaudio,Schön.

Comparing to arc protractors I like the original Wally protractor better because it has a pin head sized hole for the stylus point to sit. You don't need to count on your eyesight for stylus point on crosshairs. And you don't need to measure overhang or anything else to place an order.

Wrt to non-arc, I tried the original Feickert. I did not care for it because it was not mirrored and the stylus tip spot was way too large.

Although more expensive than a single Mint, easily the best I have used is Dietrich Brakemeir's Uni-Pro with his Smartractor being somewhat similar. It will support virtually any tonearm, has 3 spindle adapters, excellent mirrored surface, nice magnifier, and a host of other features. If your TT's P2S measurement is not quite perferfect for your tonearm, you can still align the cartridge. I'm sure you are aware of it.

I have not tried the newer Wally protractor. It looks somewhat similar to the Smartractor. JR Boisclair does know his stuff.
I know Mr. Brakemeiers Smart tractor, I love his tonearms, headshells. It's well equipped, but I think the Mint Lp sounds better. the cleanliness of the highs and lows and the realism of the set is better for me.
I also know protractors with sized hole for the stylus point to sit. i don't like them. one carelessness and the stylus is broken. i speak from experience i destroyed clearaudio titanium:mad:
P.S
i prefer to use a magnifying glass from Eschenbach, they produce optics for microscopes. very good quality

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I know Mr. Brakemeiers Smart tractor, I love his tonearms, headshells. It's well equipped, but I think the Mint Lp sounds better. the cleanliness of the highs and lows and the realism of the set is better for me.
I also know protractors with sized hole for the stylus point to sit. i don't like them. one carelessness and the stylus is broken. i speak from experience i destroyed clearaudio titanium:mad:

Never broke a cartridge with a protractor, but did break one through carelessness. When doing an alignment I become slow and very intentional. :)

As far as 'sounds better', I can't say ... never did multiple alignments with different protractors to see if one sounds better than another. Been using the Uni-Pro since it first came out in 2011. Difficult to replicate two alignments perfectly.

Of course use what you have done successfully!

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Never broke a cartridge with a protractor, but did break one through carelessness. When doing an alignment I become slow and very intentional. :)

As far as 'sounds better', I can't say ... never did multiple alignments with different protractors to see if one sounds better than another. Been using the Uni-Pro since it first came out in 2011. Difficult to replicate two alignments perfectly.

Of course use what you have done successfully!
may your can and happiness continue.
I couldn't have phrased the last sentence any better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing