Tuning Fuses?!

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I've learned over the years to be open minded when it comes to this hobby. I've read countless accounts of guys finding some real sonic benefit by replacing stock fuses with some of the hifi offerings out there from HiFi Tuning, Furutech etc. What the heck, I'm game! So have any of you Spectral guys tried it and if so can you suggest a fuse to try in my 360S2? Don't hate!

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I am using them in all my gear, including DMA-360S2 and I feel they offer a significant improvement. They seem to make for a blacker background and more taught bass. They just clean everything up a bit. The biggest improvement in my system was when I put them in my DAC an Ayre QB9. BTW I am using the HiFi Tuning Supreme version.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I am using them in all my gear, including DMA-360S2 and I feel they offer a significant improvement. They seem to make for a blacker background and more taught bass. They just clean everything up a bit. The biggest improvement in my system was when I put them in my DAC an Ayre QB9. BTW I am using the HiFi Tuning Supreme version.

Interesting, thanks. Do you happen to recall which size fuse for your amps? I'm going to order them and give it a go. My dac does not seem to have any, at least not exposed (Berkeley Alpha S2) so my amps are the only spot to try them for now.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was about to order a couple for my amps too last week, large format 5A, just to try out. But first, I put the top of the line HiFi Tuning in the preamp, small format 1A - made absolutely no difference to my ears, but then again, there is no detectable noise in my system anymore; so I punted on the amps. Let me know what you hear.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Replacing the stock fuses in my gear brought significant improvements. The biggest bump came from the fuse in my Spectral 30S preamp - followed by the fuses in my DMA-150 Series 2 amp. I went with Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I assume the fuses are in the powersupply only on well designed gear. So, please tell me the physics involved in this having even the slightest sonic impact on a well designed powersupply.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I assume the fuses are in the powersupply only on well designed gear. So, please tell me the physics involved in this having even the slightest sonic impact on a well designed powersupply.

That's for you to figure out.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Then I postulate the answer to be that there is no effect what so ever besides placebo. ;)

Uhoh. Since one guy on an internet forum can't figure it out it must be placebo. I better return them :)

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
How are you going to test your postulate? In science, all hypotheses have to be falsifiable ;)

It's an electrical device. It's not that hard to test if you have access to a proper lab. Which I don't, that's why I originally asked for the scientific explaination, which btw is still outstanding.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And I don't need to postulate that you've never heard any specialty fuse ergo your opinion is worthless.

Last edited:

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I agree it does not seem to make a lot of sense. But my wife said she could tell the difference and she has no interest in audio. I recently tried the Tranquility Base and found it did nothing for my system, same with a few different power cords (all decent per reviews) so for some reason I did not fall for the placebo effect on those. But I definitely fell for it on the fuses I guess... ;)

KBK

Jan 3, 2013
fuses work in the area that is most important to how the ear hears. transient function. Thus, fuses seem like an anomaly, with regard to how much they can change the sonic result in the given piece of gear.

The thing that really drives that home for the intrepid audio designer, is when they replace the fuse in their own designs, for, lets say, a piece of high grade hollow copper, that is the same dimensions as a fuse.

The first time they do it, they get a look on their face like :eek:. As in 'holy mother of god' kind of look. the higher the transient current draw of the device, the more effective this change is. For the sake of argument, like that of a 200w/pc classic class A/B amplifier design. To do this in a controlled testing environment, just see if a fuse has an effect, or not.

this is why John Curl (only that the discussion has taken place, personally, with him) has always preferred circuit breakers over that of fuses. The non linearity and the choking of transients by the given fuse, and the resultant coloration...is a serious problem.

Some say that one can design their way out of it, but the simpler the circuit, the better the sonic result, so this quandary of fuses being a major sonic choke point tends to rear it's head.

When looking at a more inexpensive way to replace a fuse, look for high copper content end caps, with non magnetic construction, and ceramic body, silver plating, etc...if at all possible. Solid copper tin plated or silver plated non magnetic fuse holders, with minimal and solid contact area, etc.

Three contender brands, that have such designs in their catalogs... are cooper/bussmann, littlefuse, and schurter.

When you purchase a top level 'audiophile' fuse, all this work as been done, and to add..that the fuses are custom designed and executed beyond the basics (as mentioned above) being done right.

Fuses also possess a lifespan, with regard to their sonic contributions. Like a tube, their lifespan is dictated via how hard they are driven. And that their sonic characteristics change over time, like that of a tube. This is due to the thermally sensitive resistive filament in the given fuse. That the given overall level of transient stressing in the current (amperes) domain...ages the filament.

For example, that if one wanted to win best of show at the given show and was close to achieving this, changing out the fuses in the given piece of gear, right before the show, is a big enough change that one might win best of show.

All over changing a fuse.

A cheat, with is dangerous and illegal (for all the right reasons), would be to, at the given show, change out the fuses for a set of hollow copper rods that are the same size as the fuses. This can be more than enough of a change in the sonic characteristics of top level gear...to warrant a best of show award.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
fuses work in the area that is most important to how the ear hears. transient function. Thus, fuses seem like an anomaly, with regard to how much they can change the sonic result in the given piece of gear.
<snip>

Care to elaborate? How is that different from a Transistor or a Tube?

KBK

Jan 3, 2013
Care to elaborate? How is that different from a Transistor or a Tube?

That most to all of the fuse naysayers have no idea how the ear works. that they have no idea that standard application of engineering measurements have no direct relation to how we hear..... and then do not apply this unconsidered aspect to the issue of fuses.

Unaware on three levels/layers of the basics, as combinations of effects reaching a result, can go.

Then they argue with you about it. that you have to try and fight through three levels of ignorance, to take them to the one spot. And if the three levels of ignorance reside in them, then they have probably not invested the time and energy of teaching themselves to hear any of it, so the argument is a total waste of time.

One understands what the truth of the matter is, and...the other..oh the other.... they they walk away smug in the 'fact' that they 'have given a whippin' to some audiophool and their crazy crap.

For me, I was playing with turntable isolation, cartridge changes, amplifier warm up and so on, by the time was 16-17 years old. early 80's, late 70's. I did it..... because I heard differences. As usual, for the intrepid listener..it moves beyond the basics.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
KBK

Not knowing how the ear works has nothing to do with listening. Most people have no idea how a car work and drive. This is not a prerequisite to be able to evaluate a gear or to hear an effect or not. Many who claim they hear differences of that nature (I don't), have no idea whatsoever how the ear works.

The very record or system that you and others are listening and enjoying is based on scientific and engineering principles and their sometimes straightforward applications.

And what you wrote still IME doesn't explain how
fuses work in the area that is most important to how the ear hears. transient function.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing