Tube preamps

flm09

May 1, 2020
Anyone here heard of Kevin Carter's KandK Mir preamp? Seems interesting because of all those transformers he uses.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Anyone here heard of Kevin Carter's KandK Mir preamp? Seems interesting because of all those transformers he uses.
Where did you first read about this?

Quote:
VAC uses Lundahl transformers, too, as does BAT, VTL, Cary Audio, Veloce, and others.)
End Quote.

From here:
http://www.kandkaudio.com/about-us/

I wonder if he mostly sells kits or if more people pop the extra $400 for assembly.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Where did you first read about this?

Quote:
VAC uses Lundahl transformers, too, as does BAT, VTL, Cary Audio, Veloce, and others.)
End Quote.

From here:
http://www.kandkaudio.com/about-us/

I wonder if he mostly sells kits or if more people pop the extra $400 for assembly.
Ok thanks! Are you sure about Bat & Cary? I thought Bat uses toroidals. And Cary sources transformers from China.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Ok thanks! Are you sure about Bat & Cary? I thought Bat uses toroidals. And Cary sources transformers from China.

On the Rex II Preamp BAT went to transformers as opposed to capacitors on the output.They do use Toroids for the power supplies (4 of them in the Rex II and III preamps). On the new Rex III Preamp I believe that transformer is the subject of some improvement in that the transformer is custom wound with Cardas best wire according to BAT's website. Can't say how much improvement if any it will make. Would be interested to hear and compare against the Rex II.

George

flm09

May 1, 2020
On the Rex II Preamp BAT went to transformers as opposed to capacitors on the output.They do use Toroids for the power supplies (4 of them in the Rex II and III preamps). On the new Rex III Preamp I believe that transformer is the subject of some improvement in that the transformer is custom wound with Cardas best wire according to BAT's website. Can't say how much improvement if any it will make. Would be interested to hear and compare against the Rex II.

George
Wow nice! I didn't know they are coupled to transformers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing