Tube Pre-Amps and polarity

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
We've had a phase polarity switch on our preamps from their beginning in 1989. From it I have gleaned the following facts over the last 23 years:
1) 50% of all recordings are out-of-phase.
2) if you have a multi-channel recording- spotlight on the soloist, that sort of thing, IOW the mic technique is not true-stereo, you will not be able to hear the difference.
3) it does not matter the source, digital or analog.

Reactions: kach22i

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
UPDATE: 8-years is a long time to update a thread, but this is deserving.

I just cleaned and lubed my tube preamp so while the system was down I decided to experiment with phase by flipping black and red speaker wire connections at the speakers and changed the phase.

I left my centrally located subwoofer located in front stage in between the two main speakers alone.

Subwoofer is already out of phase via IC's, it just sounded better that way in my less than one year old new room.

I have been struggling with a recessed center stage and vocals for the last four months since I hooked my system back up after the big move.

Made great strides with room acoustics, including first reflection points and removing stuff from front wall and get as clean/flat as possible.

Most recent changes of rake angle of main speakers and lowering subwoofer stance were mind blowing.

However, despite nearly daily changes and improvements I felt the front stage still a bit recessed, just not chronically deficient.

1. Ricky Lee Jones LP from 1979 song "Easy Money" is better.

2. David Gray CD from 2000 White Ladder is better.

3. The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Mono LP Time Out is better.

3 for 3 so far, so I'm sticking with this wiring out of phase thing to see if it's better than 50/50.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing