Tube amps hurt

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i sold my ARC VS115 last night and shipped it today. It started to fall off the Fed Ex counter and I grabbed it and felt something pop in my right arm. I drove right to the hospital and spent over3 hours in the ER. The PA thinks I tore a tendon. They took X-Rays but the didn"t read them before I left. They put my entire right arm in a splint and I have to see an orthopedic doctor. It hurts like crazy.

Ouch...that hurt just reading it. Good luck and heal soon.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry to learn about your injury. I hope that you have a quick recovery.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Get well quick mep ..PM on the way :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
So sorry to hear that Mark, that kind of injury will need yyour arm to ramain fixed in some way to recover, I am not a doctor but been there with both my ankles because of tennis injuries, that cracking noise is the tendor reminding us we took it too far. Take care.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep, sorry to hear that you got hurt. Get the best orthopedic person you can and do it as soon as you can.
Are you in a major metro area with a specialty hospital? I wouldn't rely on my local doctors, even if there is an orthopedic person there- do your research, get the right referrals (sometimes, the 'big names' aren't the best for treatment, but you don't want to fool around with this- long term, you'll be thankful if you get the right advice and treatment, even if it means surgery). I ain't a medical guy and don't know the particulars of what you did to yourself (you've already got some folks here who are knowledgeable). When I had a motorcycle accident several years ago, I got patched up pretty good, but honestly, my left shoulder has never been the same. And, I think part of it was the lack of physical therapy after I started healing. It's only because I've been working out for the last year and a half that I've regained my mobility. So, make sure you spend time getting treated right- long run, you'll short change yourself if you don't.

Because Bloomington, IN is home to IU, there are lots of sports medicine clinics with lots of orthopedic doctors. I would assume we have some good ones here. The last one I went to was when I had tennis elbow in the same arm. That took forever to heal, but wasn't a show stopper like this injury. I hope they can get me in tomorrow and do the MRI to see the extent of what happened.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Because Bloomington, IN is home to IU, there are lots of sports medicine clinics with lots of orthopedic doctors. I would assume we have some good ones here. The last one I went to was when I had tennis elbow in the same arm. That took forever to heal, but wasn't a show stopper like this injury. I hope they can get me in tomorrow and do the MRI to see the extent of what happened.

Yeah take care buddy! Hope you can get in ASAP.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If any of them have emergency/weekend hours, it might be worth trying to reach them today~ if only to get it lined up so you don't have to start cold calling on Monday morning. I've gone through various MRI/CAT stuff over the last few years for various things, and while the hospitals have their own equipment, alot of the private docs just send you to an independent lab- those places seem to be able to take you on short notice. In fact, I thought the MRI/CAT lab guys were actually better in some ways at reading the stuff, because that's all they do.
And, I assume you can get some pain killers today. Just remember, the warning label doesn't mention operating hi-fi equipment, only cars and farm machinery.
Hang in there-

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Look at the bright side Mark, if it had been the Krell you might have torn your arm off.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
So sorry to hear and I don't think you will complete that 805 SE amp project because that one also a heavy thing to move if you put it to getter in one piece
take care
tony ma

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If any of them have emergency/weekend hours, it might be worth trying to reach them today~ if only to get it lined up so you don't have to start cold calling on Monday morning. I've gone through various MRI/CAT stuff over the last few years for various things, and while the hospitals have their own equipment, alot of the private docs just send you to an independent lab- those places seem to be able to take you on short notice. In fact, I thought the MRI/CAT lab guys were actually better in some ways at reading the stuff, because that's all they do.
And, I assume you can get some pain killers today. Just remember, the warning label doesn't mention operating hi-fi equipment, only cars and farm machinery.
Hang in there-

Good advice. I just called the after hours service and she is going to have a doctor paged.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good advice. I just called the after hours service and she is going to have a doctor paged.

I'd go to the ER of your closest hospital that has an MRI. Tell them you likely tore your biceps tendon. They should do the MRI today in that case

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'd go to the ER of your closest hospital that has an MRI. Tell them you likely tore your biceps tendon. They should do the MRI today in that case

Steve-I spent over 3 hours yesterday in the ER of the biggest hospital in Bloomington and they wouldn't take the MRI while I was there. The on-call Doc from the Bone and Joint clinic where I was treated before just called me and told me to be there tomorrow morning at 7:45. Everything will have to wait until then. I couldn't take 5 more minutes of ER hell. It's almost like going to WalMart with all of the freaky people who use the ER as their family doctor.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Steve,
The government now allows hospitals to charge huge 'facility' fees on imaging. The cost difference between an MRI at a hospital versus an free-standing imaging center can be up to 3x! Add in the ED charges, etc., and you are talking big bucks, especially if your health plan has a significant co-pay. (BTW, the government is slow, not stupid. Hospital administrators know that their ability to charge more for imaging will be short-lived but are determined to take advantage as long as the government allows.)

Also worth asking if the images are read by a board certified radiologist.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
MEP sorry to read about your mishap, get well soon.

Thanks Rob. Hopefully tomorrow I will find out the extent of the injury and what this is going to entail.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Steve,
The government now allows hospitals to charge huge 'facility' fees on imaging. The cost difference between an MRI at a hospital versus an free-standing imaging center can be up to 3x! Add in the ED charges, etc., and you are talking big bucks, especially if your health plan has a significant co-pay. (BTW, the government is slow, not stupid. Hospital administrators know that their ability to charge more for imaging will be short-lived but are determined to take advantage as long as the government allows.)

Also worth asking if the images are read by a board certified radiologist.
That's pretty frightening. My recollection is that a scan or mri from an outside lab is on the order of 2 grand plus. that means a hospital could conceivably charge 6 grand plus for the same thing?
Hell with that, be permanently crippled and invest in hi-fi! (Just kidding, obviously).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing